FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Are we the last generation of Tiki?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Are we the last generation of Tiki?
Sabina
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-03-11 10:57 am   Permalink

Funny you should mention!

Yeah exactly, their original intent was hanging lights- that's how they came home in the first place. Thing is, our ceiling is lower than I had initially thought

So for the moment, they're in a holding pattern until we get the ceiling problem figured out- for the moment, it's WHITE and NOT TIKI, however, it is possible that this will be the year we fix that. (Please, oh pretty, pretty please! For the love of Tiki, de-white my ceiling!) As that project comes along we'll see if we can 'hanging ball light' them perhaps in a corner over a table or something such that guests wouldn't be bumping their heads all the time. I'm actually kinda looking foreward to tackling the trickines of how I'd use them as lights- perhaps with just a simple colored bulb inside, then agian, perhaps we line them with burlap or rice paper (tapa would get overwhelmed by the vine-y-ness, I think.)

I got them about 2 1/2 years back, and haven't checked recently to see if IKEA still carries them, but then, I'm overdue for a basic IKEA run- as spring comes, their 'garden' department sometimes has bamboo fencing and other rattan goodies- keep an eye out!

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-11 5:06 pm   Permalink

..lot's of good input here....keep in mind that tiki is an attitude, not a thing. Though it can be symbolized in a variety of forms, it is never any particular one of these and forever remains a frame of mind and as such will endure.....because of the laid back nature of this tiki attitude or perspective, it can never be truly co-opted or destroyed, simply on the basis that those things stand in direct opposition to what the tiki attitude is all about. it's like the term yuppies....yuppies do not exist as an entity in and of themselves,. by definition, I would be considered a yuppie if you are going by a dictionary translation of the term. Rather, to say someone is a yuppie is to comment on a certain type of attitude that that person conveys in their actions. The same can be said of a tikiphile....it's not nessessarily a stereotype but a statement about that persons attitude and all it conveys....tiki spirit touches something in all of us and as such, will continue to effect others......if all trace of tiki were wiped away for 20 years, and suddenly was rediscovered by people, I believe the fascination and connection would still be there....the artists and creative people would stumble upon it first.....tiki is interesting as it is attractive....we understand the visceral and sensual aspects of tiki, but there is a primal connection just under the surface which we do not have a handle on, let alone, control over......it is this, I believe, that is the unconsious source of the draw towards tiki....this may explain why mainstream folks may not "get" the visersal and sensual aspects but still somehow relate at least to the tiki world in general on some level in terms of going to the tiki bars/restaurants, buying party decor for luaus, etc.

I dunno...maybe i'm just drunk......***sigh***

oh yeah, this thread is now dead since I posted in it.....(see Pockitiki's thread if you haven't already)

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amiotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-12 09:29 am   Permalink

This is a great thread! I'm fairly new to TC - 6 months and going stronger than ever. I grew up in Costa Mesa for the most part, from 1969 to 1981, when I moved to Santa Barbara. I have fond memories of Kona Lanes, where I learned to bowl (haha, I still suck at that), homes built with a Polynesian flare, apartment buildings styled ala Polynesia as well. I didn't appreciate them then for the icons that they would become, and I missed out because of that - but hey, I was a kid then, y'know? OH! And of course, the Enchanted Tiki Room - one of my absolute favorite places at Disneyland (right up there with Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion).
Now I've become deeply entrenched in tikiness, and my 13 year old daughter is following in my footsteps. She can't wait for us to move into our new house, which has the perfect back yard to tikify (it's well on it's way because the present owner has done much of the framework to make it so), as well as the perfect kitchen cabinets to display my 50 something mugs!
IMHO, all cultures evolve as time goes by. Tiki is no exception. We have embraced the culture and made it our own, adding our own personal vibe to it over time, each interpreting it in ways that enhance it and make it our own experience. Our kids will probably do the same - keeping the torches lit - albeit with alternative fuels, . As they come up, they will draw in their friends, much the way some of us were drawn in by our family and friends - and this is very cool!
The whole nature of tiki - relaxation, friendliness, fun, and some degree of quirkiness make what we do attractive to the younger folks, and all we need to do is keep mentoring the 'youngsters' like Pocky ... and Tiki will survive and flourish. Maybe not the way we 'oldsters' currently envision it, but with their own, unique flavor.
...Just my $.02 worth...

amiotiki

View Profile of amiotiki Send a personal message to amiotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-12 10:48 am   Permalink

Okay, I'm encouraged by the good vibrations. If Tiki and Aloha helps connect us back to mother earth, that's a good thing. Cheers!

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoveAtFirstTiki

Posted: 2006-03-12 11:38 pm   Permalink

Well I just turned 25 and I am totally in love with Tiki. I told my bf that when we get married he has to let me get a house with a basement for a tiki room. I showed him some member pics to show him what I was thinking of....

He said that would be fine, so I will be spreading the tiki to my future kids as well!!

View Profile of LoveAtFirstTiki Send a personal message to LoveAtFirstTiki  Goto the website of LoveAtFirstTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goddess o'pilikoa

Posted: 2006-03-18 5:21 pm   Permalink

This is my first post. Aloha from a Goddess who was Tiki when Tiki was running rampant in SoCal in the 50's and 60's. Should have realized something was up when my favorite attraction at Disneyland was the Enchanted Tiki Room and everyone else in the family was headed for the Matterhorn. Livin' the dream today, livin' on Kauai. Three summers ago, to entertain my then 12 year old niece, I outlined a six foot tall tiki on the carport wall and we painted it in. Added a few chairs, bought a tiki bar that some long gone Tikiphiles built in the '70s and bam...neighbors started wandering in like zombies looking for a place to feed.
The rest is history. Pretty soon, Tiki took over, as Tiki will do, things spiraled out of my control. 50's style puupuu platters were showing up, The Drink of the Day concoctions did, too. Everyone started trying to out do each other. I sat back and let it roll. If you build it, they will come. We have the first official "Tiki Port" in our neighborhood.
At 57 I'm feeling like I'm finally home. As if I've been wandering around in a daze since the fifties and now I'm back. For a while Tiki became a complete obsession (as Tiki will.) The ebay therapy sessions and a cut back in pay have helped curtail it somewhat, but heck, there's always room for more Tiki.
Are we the last of our generation? Heck no. My young niece can't wait to be me!

View Profile of Goddess o'pilikoa Send a personal message to Goddess o'pilikoa  Email Goddess o'pilikoa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-18 9:36 pm   Permalink

Nice post, goddess.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TB Hawks
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-19 02:51 am   Permalink

Goddess:

I too am new here, I also grew up around Tiki for entertainment, my family had lots of parties with the Tiki traditions, and I grew up in Michigan.....My wife and I have just put in a new pool and re-modeled the back of the house to give it a tropical feel, with a Tiki Bar as the main theme....Not pure Tiki, but we're adding to it.

I really enjoy this site and your post caught my eye, so from one newbie to another welcome and enjoy.....

View Profile of TB Hawks Send a personal message to TB Hawks  Email TB Hawks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-19 08:01 am   Permalink

Each generation of American youth grow up plagued by the suspicion that the best times have already come and gone, convinced that they've missed out on...well..."something". It's a phenomenon evidenced by the periodic resurrection from bygone decades of vintage arts, beliefs and social behaviors. There will always be young people searching the past for what their present lacks. Many will find Tiki and move on but a handful will linger and call it home, and Tiki will survive.

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-10-18 3:00 pm   Permalink

?

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-10-19 03:25 am   Permalink

Funny this post was over ten years ago!

Many from this old post do not post anymore.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2017-10-19 03:26 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-19 07:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-10-19 03:25, tikiskip wrote:
Funny this post was over ten years ago!

Many from this old post do not post anymore.

So can we safely assume the answer to this question is "no"?

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-19 09:19 am   Permalink

I was thinking the same thing, Skip. More than a decade, that's a long time for cultural trends. A few names I recognize, being a relative newcomer to these boards. What's more curious are the folks who posted just a few times then vanished. I suppose it's like a new relationship--there's a rush of passion early on, but as the novelty wears off the interest wanes.

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-10-19 10:09 am   Permalink

I've gotten busier, and I've increased my involvement as a contributor to a cocktail blog. But this whole tiki thing has continued to grow around us. I don't think it will ever become a national #1 trend, but it has staying power because of how enjoyable it is. Does it get much better than chilling and sharing top-notch drinks with friends who also like faux-Polynesian food? And then there's the whloe world of music. There's more to tiki than there ever was with pogs or Beanie Babies or Cabbage Patch Kids or with today's fidget spinners.

We tiki fans have made a helluva dent in pop culture! It's more than just a shallow fad. I think this is going to continue to be around for many decades because so many of us like it and won't forget it in our lifetimes.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-19 12:06 pm   Permalink

We have a theory that us diehards will continue to use TC as long as there is internet, and in time we'll revive every necrothread on the system

And when that's done we'll go back and do it again!

We do miss a lot of the old posters, especially from the early days when we just lurked. (Tiki-Kate, we know you can hear us -- this one's for you.)

As for the original question, one thing we can say is this may be the last generation to enjoy the few 'classic' Tiki establishments that are still left.

[ This Message was edited by: mike and marie 2017-10-19 12:19 ]

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation