FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Are we the last generation of Tiki?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Are we the last generation of Tiki?
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-10-19 1:04 pm   Permalink

mike and marie, you reminded me that tiki of today is not necessarily tiki of tomorrow. What we see today may continue to evolve, or even devolve.

So as soon as I wrote that sentence I realized that this is already true to some extent where today we have "monster tiki," "surf tiki," "hot-rod tiki," "rockabilly tiki," "clown tiki," and any number of other blends and incarnations. Isn't there some Star Wars or "space" tiki too?

Here's to the future! Or, maybe not...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-19 1:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-10-19 10:09, AceExplorer wrote:
There's more to tiki than there ever was with pogs or Beanie Babies or Cabbage Patch Kids or with today's fidget spinners.

I work with kids as an educator and you may be happy to know that, as a child duly informed me, nobody does fidget spinners anymore

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-10-19 1:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-10-19 13:09, EnchantedTikiGoth wrote:
...nobody does fidget spinners anymore

Wow, that was fast! There are probably still many containers of fidget spinners on their way over from China with few or no people to buy them.

By the way, I found that Hello Kitty Tiki and Space Tiki DOES EXIST! See pics below. There are lots of interesting and fun pics on the web. I'm guessing that you can pretty much type any "<Abomination name> + Tiki" into Google and get a hit. I tried "naked jello tiki" and got results, lol...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-20 07:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-10-19 13:21, AceExplorer wrote:
By the way, I found that Hello Kitty Tiki and Space Tiki DOES EXIST! See pics below. There are lots of interesting and fun pics on the web. I'm guessing that you can pretty much type any "<Abomination name> + Tiki" into Google and get a hit. I tried "naked jello tiki" and got results, lol...

To be fair, Tiki and Atomic Age retro-space imagery does work together since they originated around the same time That was my thought with the Geeki Tikis too... Some of them are just cashing in (Star Wars, Marvel), but some of them do work because the source material is close enough (original Star Trek, Universal Monsters). I'm not a fan of the new batch of Hollywood Godzilla movies, but I am kinda' looking forward to when the next ones come out, because it's pretty much a guarantee that they'll make Godzilla, Mothra, and King Kong Geeki Tiki mugs. I've got a yen for the original Toho films right now, half of which seem to be taking place, in part, on South Pacific islands.

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-10-20 08:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-10-20 07:44, EnchantedTikiGoth wrote:
To be fair, Tiki and Atomic Age retro-space imagery does work together since they originated around the same time That was my thought with the Geeki Tikis too... Some of them are just cashing in (Star Wars, Marvel), but some of them do work because the source material is close enough (original Star Trek, Universal Monsters). I'm not a fan of the new batch of Hollywood Godzilla movies, but I am kinda' looking forward to when the next ones come out, because it's pretty much a guarantee that they'll make Godzilla, Mothra, and King Kong Geeki Tiki mugs. I've got a yen for the original Toho films right now, half of which seem to be taking place, in part, on South Pacific islands.

Great points, I think these are part of the "evolution of tiki" whether we like it or not.

I do struggle with "purist" thoughts at times, driven partly by tiki having originally aspiring to be escapism through imagery from far-away tropical places. On top of that, just because two things existed at the same time period, doesn't make me comfortable mixing the two. While Star Trek was around at the time of tiki, I would personally not mix them. However, tiki as a style became a fun medium for Star Trek fans to honor and enjoy their subject matter. But I try hard not to criticize it since I think I understand how and why that comes to happen. But every once in a while I see something that initially makes me squint my eyes and cock my head and do a double-take. I try to always walk away by comprehending how the tiki style / genre is actually being honored in these situations. But sometimes it takes a bit of effort to do so, and I'm guessing it's because of how strong my feelings are about the original roots and intentions of tiki.

We'll have to see how things develop over the next ten years. But I think tiki is a pretty solid element in our world regardless of which country you live in.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-20 4:19 pm   Permalink

Yes, until we all die off and our collections reseed the thrift stores and garage sales for a new generation to discover

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-10-20 5:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-10-20 08:44, AceExplorer wrote:
I do struggle with "purist" thoughts at times, driven partly by tiki having originally aspiring to be escapism through imagery from far-away tropical places. On top of that, just because two things existed at the same time period, doesn't make me comfortable mixing the two.

Maybe I should have been more precise. I didn't mean so much that they just happened to happen at the same time, but that they occupy a sort of contiguous cultural milieu. Tiki, Atomic Age Sci-Fi, Monster Kitsch, Spy-Fi, Lounge culture, Rockabilly, Pin-Ups... a lot of that stuff kind of blurs into the edges of each other. I wouldn't consider original Star Trek or, say, The Jetsons to be Tiki, of course, clearly, but both Atomic/Space Age Sci-Fi and futurism were responding to the same mid-century cultural drives as Tiki and resonate with a lot of the same people. It's not uncommon to see aliens, monsters and exotic locales merging in those old drive-in b-movies. There isn't a huge distance between Googie and Poly-Pop architecture at its core. Monster Kitsch in the mid-century was itself a chimera that blended into everything else popular at the time. The first "Tiki party" I ever held was a Halloween one where I showed Mad Monster Party

Of course, it's easy for me to say all that, because I got into Tiki through Disney and I'm a big fan of "Fantasy Tiki" that includes mermaids, sea monsters, pirates (alive and not-exactly alive), Jules Verne, and stuff like that. Nevertheless, it is important to keep a purist heart at the centre of it too. The edges blur, but there needs to be a central reference point for what Tiki even is.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-10-20 5:09 pm   Permalink

"Yes, until we all die off and our collections reseed the thrift stores and garage sales for a new generation to discover "

Ok I was bored and bumpin, that went well.
Not my thread, in fact MM is gone from TC.

This one up top got me thinkin how the stuff that was fetching high dollar at the time of this threads birth are not always the ones the newer? tiki folks are after, think "steve" mug.
Weird the way that went.

But also thought how I used to be into other things and not so much now, like Skateboarding, Punk music, Photography.

These things have not "gone away" but they are all much different than they were when I was into them.

All of them more mainstream back then kind of.
Not many if any Punk bars, Skateboarding is still a thing but seams not as big maybe just cuz I'm too old to skate.

And photography is a thing but very different.

The hype or buzz is gone or at least faded.

I fear the new tiki "scene" won't be enough to maintain places like the Mai Kai and other tiki places.

Don't think anything can be done about it really.

Just wonder if that Buzz or hype will ever come back.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2017-10-20 17:18 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-10-20 5:28 pm   Permalink

We can always hope that our kids (or grandkids), having grown up with parents (or grandparents) who were into tiki, will someday long for that nostalgia and it will suck them in... even if they think it is "lame" now.

Sorta like how I used to laugh at my grandfather's taste in music, but now enjoy it. Shame I couldn't have reached that level of musical appreciation maturity when he was still alive. I'd bet he would have been into my tiki room, too.

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paulynesian

Posted: 30 days ago; 1:52 pm   Permalink

I had this thought in the shower yesterday (where I do my BEST thinking) and I'm glad to see that my unfounded fears were discussed here over 10 years ago. I think we'll be fine, as long as we keep introducing it to new people.

We have parties every six months, and make a point to invite new and random people, and introduce them to this "new" world. People get bitten by the tiki bug very easily... so let's keep converting as best we can.

View Profile of Paulynesian Send a personal message to Paulynesian      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 29 days ago; 07:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-10-24 13:52, Paulynesian wrote:
...I think we'll be fine, as long as we keep introducing it to new people.

We have parties every six months, and make a point to invite new and random people, and introduce them to this "new" world. People get bitten by the tiki bug very easily... so let's keep converting as best we can.

It happens surprisingly easy! I have some friends who go to Walt Disney World fairly regularly, and I sent them on a mission to get me the Nautilus from Grog Grotto... They could have cared less about Tiki before, but in sending them there, I introduced them to it and they went rogue! I didn't get the Nautilus until about two of their trips later, when they got all the mugs THEY wanted! >_<

ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 21 days ago; 2:57 pm   Permalink

I think tiki in some form will remain. it will blend in even more with the retro/rockabilly look, and that is popular with the 20+ crowds now. as long a sven stays in there for the next 60-70 yrs to keep them in the right info, I think they will be fine.

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 21 days ago; 4:25 pm   Permalink

I see tiki and rockabilly as two different looks, but they are both retro. I think that statement is generally accepted. So im not sure there could be blending per se, but coexistence side by side.

Rockabilly and “pinup” are blended it seems. Just thinking out loud here whilst sipping some rum...

stevekh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 21 days ago; 6:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-11-02 14:57, ka'lenatiki wrote:
I think tiki in some form will remain. it will blend in even more with the retro/rockabilly look, and that is popular with the 20+ crowds now. as long a sven stays in there for the next 60-70 yrs to keep them in the right info, I think they will be fine.

i agree wholeheartedly with this - it seems it's been taken in and under the kustom kulture umbrella - especially with the 20-30 age group

View Profile of stevekh Send a personal message to stevekh  Goto the website of stevekh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation