[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Hale Tiki now closed...but will reopen soon
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Hale Tiki now closed...but will reopen soon
Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-23 10:52 am   Permalink

Aloha,

I regret to inform you all that I have decided to close Hale Tiki. The last day of operation was last Friday.

The reasons for closing Hale Tiki are mostly personal on my part. Money, business, and public support are not the issues here. Hale Tiki has enjoyed great support from our town and some of you all as well.

Hale Tiki has been one of the high points of my life so far and I enjoyed every minute of it. However, I have had a rough six months and I am choosing to do something different with my life now.

There are several offers on the table from interested parties and I might sell Hale tiki lock-stock-and-barrel. But chances are I will not, and that the closing will be for good.

I want to thank all of you that have supported us during the past two years and hope that Hale Tiki has helped the hobby.

I will drop by Tiki Central from time to time but just as this is my first visit in a while, it will be my last visit for a while. If you would like to contact me try my e-mail.

I just thought that you all would like to know.

Thanks You All and Goodbye,

Brad

[ This Message was edited by: Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens 2006-02-24 08:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens 2006-03-03 13:46 ]

View Profile of Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens Send a personal message to Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens  Email Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens Goto the website of Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-23 12:04 pm   Permalink

Sad as it may be... is anyone surprised? I'm kind of astonished it held on as long as it did. I'm just sorry I never got a chance to see it.

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-23 1:42 pm   Permalink

Sad to hear. Was there just not enough business coming through the door?

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-23 2:24 pm   Permalink

Sorry to hear this Brad. Good luck in all your future ventures.
Darn!! Yet another tiki bar closed before I had a chance to experience it!!
Support your local tiki bar folks.. It's a hard sell out there!!

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomicchick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-23 2:45 pm   Permalink

That sucks!

View Profile of Atomicchick Send a personal message to Atomicchick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-23 3:35 pm   Permalink

What a bummer. This was one fine place. Lot's of labor of love went into it, by Bamboo Ben, Crazy Al, and by Swanky, and most of all by Basement Kahuna. Brad's break up with BK left the memory of it somewhat tainted. It was flattering to know the BOT was it's source, yet Brad always seemed to have his own agenda, loosing good people in the process.
That next door lounge to it was a mid-century marvel, what ever happened to those restaurant plans? I feel privileged to have seen the Hale Tiki, thanks to Tiki Kiliki, and Swanky.

It is a fact of life that while we sometimes succeed in creating our own perfect personal paradise, we as people are less than perfect. Marlon Brando owned his own Tahitian island, and it did not make him happy, proving again that the QUEST for paradise on earth is more important than reaching it.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-23 4:16 pm   Permalink

"I hope that Hale Tiki has helped the hobby"-Brad

I haven't drank out of a tiki mug in a awhile, and this weekend past I drank out of a couple a night. One was the blue Hale Tiki mug created by BK and I was thinking how much I like this mug.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-23 4:35 pm   Permalink

I'll keep my ears open for a closing auction if there is one. Maybe some folks can get their donations returned. We were just talking about going to visit the place again.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-23 4:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-23 15:35, bigbrotiki wrote:
proving again that the QUEST for paradise on earth is more important than reaching it.

This is what I tell my wahine every time another tiki package arrives in the mail, or I head off to search the local antique malls and thrift stores.

Sorry, we didn't go to the grand opening when life was sweeter...

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-23 7:25 pm   Permalink

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/13934659.htm

Hey Brad!!!

Wait!!!!!

Talk to Doug!!! He knows how to run a good bar!!!

It's all in the music! I'm telling y'all! One can't just listen to exotica the entire time!!! A bar is in biz. to sell drinks. Not naps! Good tunes keep things alive!!

Make the locals happy! They are your bread and butter!!!!

Not the seldom visit from the tiki freak who racks you over the coals to nit pick and bitch!

So what if there is a pool table, or a t.v., or a neon beer lite!!!

You got to do what you got to do!!

I'd like to see the "authors" open their own bars and see if they succeed...

... Just doesn't happen now days.

Do what you got to do, but, talk to the owners of the most popular bars in the u.s. and finger out your sit-ch.

It was a fun build out. Just hate to see it go down so fast.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-02-23 9:18 pm   Permalink

What is the selling price (and more importantly) the shipping cost? Someone should buy the place, move everything into a couple of semi-trucks, and have the first traveling 'on the road' tiki bar.

Seriously, if there is any chance of someone offering to buy and run the place as is - as a great tiki place, do seriously consider that offer.

I do understand that operating any bar/restaurant is an iffy business, with no guarantees for long term success - and for that I commend you for being part of the vision of creating the Hale Tiki in the first place. I made the trip there only once last year, and it was a very memorable visit.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-23 10:13 pm   Permalink

Brad,

I used to live in Aiken -- how weird is that? Also have cousins in Augusta. Augusta's a very nice town, esp. if you're into golf.

Condolences on the closing of your business. Going into business is tough indeed, is it not? Well, you gave it a good shot, and God bless you. Faint heart ne'r won the fair lady and all that, and believe me I know whereof I speak. Wish I could buy you a drink.

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-24 05:10 am   Permalink

what's going to happen to all the donated items?

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2006-02-24 07:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-23 14:24, Conga Mike wrote:
Support your local tiki bar folks.. It's a hard sell out there!!

Truer words never spoken.

Very sorry to hear it Brad. Wish I could have seen it.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-02-24 12:21 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2006-02-23 19:25, RevBambooBen wrote:
http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/13934659.htm
From the article--"But that's it. Subdued (and let's hope it stays that way). Every time you turn around there's not a Moai in your face (think Conga Lounge), and you don't have to watch the same surf video until you're seasick. Welcome home, neighbors."
I say OUCH!! I'd rather have the same surf video than a Muted (or worse, WITH SOUND)version of The Best Damn Sports Show Period!
As for Moai's, I say "Mo Moai(and cowbwells!)".

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation