FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Hale Tiki now closed...but will reopen soon
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Hale Tiki now closed...but will reopen soon
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-02-24 12:54 pm   Permalink

Perhaps we should post our opinions on the Kona Club review here:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=17473&forum=7&start=45&hilite=kona

instead of hijacking this topic about the Hale Tiki (R.I.P.).

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-24 2:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-24 12:54, thejab wrote:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=17473&forum=7&start=45&hilite=kona

I was replying to Ben's link about the Kona/Conga that he posted in this thread. I wasn't trying to Hijack (strong term) anything. I see my comments COULD lead to a derailing of this topic if others reply to my reply. Sorry if I offended/angered/bothered anyone as it was not my intention.

[ This Message was edited by: mrsmiley 2006-02-24 15:10 ]

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-24 2:56 pm   Permalink

I still never received my mug.

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-02-24 3:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-24 14:56, mrsmiley wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-02-24 12:54, thejab wrote:

I was replying to Ben's link about the Kona/Conga that he posted in this thread. I wasn't trying to Hijack (strong term) anything. I see my comments COULD lead to a derailing of this topic if others reply to my reply. Sorry if I offended/angered/bothered anyone as it was not my intention.

[ This Message was edited by: mrsmiley 2006-02-24 15:10 ]

I realize why you posted that. I'm not angered, bothered, or offended, I just suggested we discuss the Kona elsewhere. OK, derailed. Nobody's calling you a hijacker. Keep smilin'.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-24 4:08 pm   Permalink

On 2006-02-24 14:56, mrsmiley wrote:
Quote:

I'm drunk... I'm drunk, I'm drunk, I'm drunk.

When life hands you limes... make Mai Tais!

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-24 4:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I realize why you posted that. I'm not angered, bothered, or offended, I just suggested we discuss the Kona elsewhere. OK, derailed. Nobody's calling you a hijacker. Keep smilin'.

zazz!!!

Back to the topic. It is a shame that another Tiki bar bites the dust!
Maybe (to link it to another topic-tee hee) it can get moved and shipped to the DC area to "replace" the Honolulu. OR, better yet, ship it to the SF Bay area ,we don't have enough tiki bars here!!
Hopefully an owner can be found and it will re-open.

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-24 8:47 pm   Permalink

Amen rev ben, Truer words were never spoken.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-24 10:06 pm   Permalink

Brad,
That's bad news and I'm glad I got to have a visit before closing. I dropped in during last X-mas holidays and met B'tender Jamie and the Samoan? dude too. Jamie gave us a great tour of the place , he seemed to be really into the whole thing-from the vintage cocktails to the origins of the decor.

I'm originally from Augusta and used to co-own a club about a block up from you (mid-late 90's). I was a partner in Time Piecez--I had a bad business relationship with my partner (initials-JL) and sold out- don't need to go there though. It was gonna be the 'Lava Lounge' originally but creative differences and who put in the most $$ that made the final decision.

I wanted to do at least somewhat of a tiki thing there but p'tnr didn't understand. I built the bar, booths, tables, back bar, painted the lava lamp murals on the walls, painted the checkerboard swirled dance floor--practically everything in that bar I did. Not here to toot my horn, though, but if you ever want to get into another project like Hale Tiki, get in touch- I'm in Folly Beach/ Charleston area now.

Also interested in anything you might want to sell from Hale Tiki, so please give me a shout!

You did what I wanted to do when you opened Hale Tiki, and I, and many other 'right coasters', praise you for that.
Thanks,
Brad Howland

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-24 10:56 pm   Permalink

suck'y

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-25 04:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-24 14:56, FLOUNDERart wrote:
I still never received my mug.

I ordered one and they sent me two, in separate packages.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-25 08:42 am   Permalink

I know that in the early days of Hale Tiki, it seemed very on track to do well. On a objective point, I think there were things to change. #1) It needed seating at the bar. It's an important part of any bar. That's where you socialize and interact with each other and the bartender. #2) I think there was need for more than what it had a week after opening. That is, I think there was a certain emptyness to the place that a bit more decor could have cured. #3) I would have had live music in there every Friday and maybe Saturday night. Does not need to be tiki or any themed, just what gets people in the place. Kahiki Moon had hip-hop I think. No reason not to change the mood as the night goes on, or the week. Surf rock is always a winner. #4) Food, even just apps, would boost sales.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-25 09:02 am   Permalink

I knew this day would come where I would read about the closing of Hale Tiki.

I will never forget when Bamboo Ben and Crazy Al flew into Atlanta and Swanky drove from Tennesseee to meet myself, Brad and Basement Kahuna at Trader Vic's prior to making the journey to Augusta to begin the buildout. I still remember the smiles and the spirit in the air of what was to be and how determined they were for the outcome. The pictures that Swanky posted (you can still see them on his website) as they made progress and the stories of how he, BK, Bamboo Ben and Crazy Al worked so hard.

And then how Sven stated, when the bond between Brad and BK was broken, I really feel the spirit was lost. I want to always remember Hale Tiki in the beginning, when the Aloha spirit was alive there and especially within BK.

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-25 2:05 pm   Permalink

Wasn't trying to Hi-Jack. Was just trying to say that Bar Owners have to do what they have to do to pay the bills! A 100% Purist Tiki Bar is very rare these days. When I open my bar in the future, I'm playing James Brown cause it makes people feel good! And, I'm showing surf videos too!!! Maybe I'll even have a section that is all CHROME!! For the Harley Davidson sect! What ever works to stay afloat!

Long Live the Hale Tiki!!!

It was a fun build out! Where are my god damn socks!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-25 8:56 pm   Permalink

Where's my god damn cell phone! ARRRR!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-26 08:00 am   Permalink

Absolutely Ben. I think I would have theme nights all week. Biker Night, Rainbow Night (which is not referring to the Hawaiian Islands), Beach Blanket Bingo Night, Jazz night, Sponge Bob lunch on Saturday, Luau Buffet brunch on Sunday, and a traditional tiki night with dancers adn hapa haole and uke and steel guitar. Then see how it all shakes out.

I do see in another thread that Brad had Jazz in the restaurant side on some weekends.

Ben, when are you opening your bar? BK and I should fly in for a week to help.

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2006-02-26 08:06 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation