FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge Oh, How I Hate Them Untiki Neighbors...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Oh, How I Hate Them Untiki Neighbors...
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-22 9:41 pm   Permalink

They say sometimes the best defense is a good offense. I'm sure a million fantasies have entered you brains but let's keep it legal. Start investigating their properties. Make a list of things that may not be kosher with their places and use it if needed. I agree that knowledge is power and keeping your stuff up to snuff may be the only real choice. My heart goes out to you. I fear what you're going through with my place. I hope you can find some kind of peace with all these spineless assholes.
Cheers.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WenikiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-29 07:27 am   Permalink

What a horror story! I have moved a lot and encountered nut cases, but never like yours! Once a neighbor made me pay for a screen replacement on their pool enclosure because they were convinced my cat fell through it... The screen guys who were fixing my whole enclosure after a deck remodel, came back to my house laughing their butts off, because her screens were 15 years old and they were pretty sure the wind blew it out... They told me they would have made her sue. But I was afraid of getting into some sort of hate fest with this neighbor.

I think you should document EVERYTHING from now on. Then research laws regarding harassment. THEN go on Judge Judy with those nut jobs. She loves to tell neighbors to mind their own business and she really hates people who bug their neighbors! Think of how much fun you could get out of showing the world (okay, 10 million viewers) how darn silly your neighbors are! Don't forget to video tape them at every point. Because they really sound like they are infringing on your rights big time!

Also, who does the code enforcement gal work for? File a complaint with her boss about unreasonable complaints being taken seriously by this gal! We live in the USA for a reason. And you choose a non-deed restricted neighborhood because you are a free thinker. Let your silly neighbors move, not you! If they want conformity, sounds like they bought in the wrong neighborhood!

We are getting ready to retire....Any nice houses for sale in your neighborhood? I'm ready to build a tiki palace!

View Profile of WenikiTiki Send a personal message to WenikiTiki  Email WenikiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr.TikiMojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-13 8:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-21 11:26, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
UPDATE: IT'S NOT FUNNY ANYMORE!!

The Asshole, directly behind me, decides to come visit at 10 PM when I'm home alone and tell me I'm a crazy bitch (still not clear why, but I think it had something to do with my daughter's 16th birthday party.)He and his girlfriend just stood there yelling like lobotomized tards on my porch, ignoring my repeated requests to leave my property...Thanks for letting me vent/blog. Anyone want to trade houses?

WOW Hau 'oli Tiki,

Am I sorry to hear of your plight and to think I was bitching about my town on the "My Stupid Town" thread when I came across a link to yours!
Tiki People are the BEST people I know so again, I am sorry to hear this!
From what you wrote it sounds as if it's just you and your 2 daughters living at your house?
2 words - PEPPER SPRAY!
My wife and I live in a town that is sometimes a questionable risk, (like most of America these days!), and I was very concerned about her out walking our dogs alone if I were out of town. So I bought us both MILITARY STRENGTH PEPPER SPRAY, non-lethal but you can bet whomever gets hit with this stuff will never want to be anywhere near your place or you again...and it's legal and requires no permits.

We live in Vallejo, CA. In the San Francisco Bay Area. Not as warm as SoCal and our neighborhood is getting better. It's EXTREMELY affordable for California these days. We have have neighbors who are cool Brits also. 30 minutes from the Napa Valley, 30 Minutes from Berkeley, 45 minutes from San Francisco, 1 hour by ferry!
For all my bitching it's got a lot of perks.
I'm not a Realtor just a second generation San Franciscan who can recomend anything in your price range should it ever get that bad!
PM or email if you want to come up for a tour of the area and see if you and your daughters would like the change of scenery not to mention some GREAT choices of colleges for them!

View Profile of Dr.TikiMojo Send a personal message to Dr.TikiMojo  Email Dr.TikiMojo Goto the website of Dr.TikiMojo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-11 11:10 am   Permalink

I had not read this before so I searched out on your other post about thatch.

Sucks. Sounds like people who have too much time on their hands. Sounds like people who might could be distracted if some worse threat moved in like Jews, Mexicans, gays or whatever. Low life haters is what you have there. They are willing to expend a lot of time and energy in this that you are not. Or you certainly would prefer not to.

I would not suggest any sort of "offensive" strategy. That is likely just fueling the fire and they already seem more willing to fight than you. You want peace, like most normal people.

Any official, especially the police that come to your door, should be filled in. Any documentation, piles of papers, etc. and your calm words explaining that the neighbors are crazy. If they bug the cops very much, they will be known and told not to call again on this stuff. Once enough people know who they are and that they are wasting lots of time, it will trickle down that they get no responses.

IF it gets to some point that they really are getting you in some trouble, then you might turn the spotlight.

I would plant a line of cypress trees around your property along with a fence. Keep their eyes off your land.

Also, in general, if you leave the flashers on on your parked car, you can often get away with leaving it in various parking spots you would not normally be able to. May not be true there though. But, you can call the police department and find out just waht is okay and make sure you know your rights.

I said all that and I guess it is hard to imagine. So, if it was me. I would first try to keep from fanning any flames and see if they go away. If they do not, I would not mess around with them and any sort of action towards them. I would talk to the police and get their advice. I would talk to a lawyer and see what they say and I would just take the hig h and direct road. You may be able to get a restraining order and that would shut up a lot right away. They would face jail for being within X feet of your or calling you or coming to your door.

As I have had to explain to fire marshals at tiki bars, if you want to see if my thatch is fire retardant, here is the table cloth and the picture on the wall and the napkins and the bar stools... It is no more an issue than wallpaper or anything else you decorate with. Most things burn. That is not a reason to say it can't be on your property.

I am rambling here, but Chip and Andy are very right here. Know your rights and know the people in the office that enforce them. Politeness is a valuable weapon with authorities.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thegreenman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-14 5:36 pm   Permalink

Here is something everyone should have. - a remote controller for the sprinklers ( or just a single rainbird sprinkler on a hose with electronic timer/clock.) when salespeople, religious nut jobs, or whiney neighbors come knocking - turn on the sprinklers, make sure the front porch gets 100% coverage.

http://www.hunterindustries.com/Products/Controllers/srrintro.html

View Profile of thegreenman Send a personal message to thegreenman  Email thegreenman Goto the website of thegreenman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-14 8:24 pm   Permalink

I did some stuff last summer out in Palm Desert for
TC's/my friend, Queen K . Her neighbor is a freakin nut also!
You should pm her and talk story! She's a rebel!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-14 8:32 pm   Permalink

p.s. after the Kona Club was open in Oakland, a fire person came in ( ON A HUNCH!?) (Hmmmm) and made them Fire retard the whole place. Floor to ceiling, wall to wall!.

I've also heard through the grapevine that city's are trying to rid thatch/ palapas / etc. in the future.

In the entire time I've been doing this stuff, I've only heard of one fire and the fool put tiki torches under his palapa!!! Doh!!!

Good luck!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-15 9:56 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the info, support and tiki-ness, all!

I spoke with the chick from the city of Laguna Hills and she told me a lot of people around my neighborhood have told her they think thatched palapas (they call them grass hut patios, moreys) are outdated, tacky and a blight. (!!!!) I asked her how many had said that, because I have folks stop by constantly and tell me it's awesome. She stated she had 2 complaints. 2. Uh, that would be The Peeper and Mr Bitterchips. This from the people who think a "new" 1997 mini van is "coolaroni". Who wear a shirt that says "Nana's Reunion" every Saturday. Who remodeled their entire house with beige tile, carpet, walls, furniture and floral arrangements. All beige. And spent A LOT. I coulda done it for $20.00 with a 5 gallon of beige paint thrown over everything. But I digress.

So Peeps asked me if I was gonna leave that thing up against the shared fence. It's my tiki that has red glowing eyes and bellows smoke from his mouth. Got him at TO6. I guess the "smoke" scares him. I said, "Oh! Well I can move him, if you think it would be better." He said that would be a good idea. So I guess I'll have to move him. To the top deck of the pirate ship, overlooking his back yard.

Interesting side note: He thinks the city already took care of all inspections. So he has built a huge green house right up against the shared fence to block "any view you may see into his backyard". This thing is huge and wrapped in some horrible green plastic. It's a mess! Looks so trailer park. Goes great with his dirt "lawn", broken concrete "patio", and dead bushes and trees. Gee. There goes my view. Can't wait til the inspector comes back out and sees that monstrosity.

View Profile of Hau 'oli Tiki Send a personal message to Hau 'oli Tiki  Email Hau 'oli Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-16 4:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-27 17:17, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
He retaliated by building a...well, not sure. It's a framed little building wrapped in plastic. My daughter says it's a greenhouse for their son, the orchid grower.

I believe "orchid" is street slang for dope. I'd have a friend narc on him for suspicion of growing with intent to sell. Heck I'll come over and throw some seeds there that..I know how to get a hold of...through this guy.

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!
Myspace Texas Tiki

[ This Message was edited by: Unkle John 2007-01-16 16:59 ]

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WenikiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-16 5:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-16 16:58, Unkle John wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-02-27 17:17, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
He retaliated by building a...well, not sure. It's a framed little building wrapped in plastic. My daughter says it's a greenhouse for their son, the orchid grower.

I believe "orchid" is street slang for dope. I'd have a friend narc on him for suspicion of growing with intent to sell. Heck I'll come over and throw some seeds there that..I know how to get a hold of...through this guy.

TOO FUNNY! Our neighbor in California built himself a cute little greenhouse right up against our fence. He was definitely growing and selling pot! We could easily see it through the knot holes in the fence.... My parents reported him numerous times, to no avail. My mom used to go out to her normal garden and pull these big huge tomato grubs off her tomato plants and put them through the knot holes...

View Profile of WenikiTiki Send a personal message to WenikiTiki  Email WenikiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thegreenman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-16 6:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-15 21:56, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
Thanks for all the info, support and tiki-ness, all!
So he has built a huge green house right up against the shared fence to block "any view you may see into his backyard". This thing is huge and wrapped in some horrible green plastic. It's a mess! Looks so trailer park. Goes great with his dirt "lawn", broken concrete "patio", and dead bushes and trees. Gee. There goes my view. Can't wait til the inspector comes back out and sees that monstrosity.

I think you should ask him where he got the green plastic, tell him how much you love it, and say that you are thinking of covering your tiki hut with something similar, but ask if it comes in purple or red, or if it comes in plaid.

View Profile of thegreenman Send a personal message to thegreenman  Email thegreenman Goto the website of thegreenman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-17 1:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

My mom used to go out to her normal garden and pull these big huge tomato grubs off her tomato plants and put them through the knot holes...

I'da reached through that lil knot hole with my Fabulous Gum Stick and rake in a little somethin somethin. Wink Wink.

View Profile of Hau 'oli Tiki Send a personal message to Hau 'oli Tiki  Email Hau 'oli Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-17 1:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Sadly, no. The boy is some kind of Future Farmer, Green Peace, Arbor Day Dude. He's REALLY growing orchids and flowers. All by himself. Alone. No friends. None.

Greenman: Sweet idea! I'm crackin up! Plaid!! (incidentally, he works at Home depot and seems to bring home a lot of "freebies" which he loves to show off... hmmm.

[ This Message was edited by: Hau 'oli Tiki 2007-01-17 13:57 ]

HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-14 9:29 pm   Permalink

How 'bout them neighbors who object to the sounds of friendly chainsaws, musical angle grinders and rotozips.
One of my neighbors sent over a building inspector after a noise complaint. He said the whole operation was legal, but I still have to modify something-or-other...they're sending me a letter.

Has anyone else had to deal with this unreasonable type of "neighbor" ???

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 2:36 pm   Permalink

All the stories have reminded me of some neighbors that live next to my folks. While my brother and I were building tiki bars a few years back during the summer, she actually came over to complain once or twice about the noise. Now, we were only working during the normal daylight hours, usually starting around 9:30 or so, and finishing up at about 4:30 or 5. All the tools, shade awning, etc, got packed up and put away. You wouldn't have even known we were doing anything. But she comes by one day-- how much longer are you going to be doing that? We replied, Gee, all day.
Sorry.
She never tried calling the cops, but it's not like we were doing anything illegal.
Un-tiki neighbors do suck, but I second all the opinions of those that encourage courtesy and politeness.
My missus and I had this downstairs neighbor, and this lady called the cops on us like 5 times accusing us of "moving furniture and making noise" at like 10 at night. Of course, we weren't actually doing anything like that. Most of the time, I was just grading papers. Cops showed up a couple of times, I let them in, acted all polite and everything, and they'd leave, wish us good night, and all that. No problem. The cops were actually really cool with us, especially since the same ones came by more than once.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation