FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Tiki Event-What do you wanna see?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Tiki Event-What do you wanna see?
lemonsqueezer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-28 6:49 pm   Permalink

Many great ideas have been listed. I miss here one thing about the music entertainment.
For a great tiki evening there should be a party at the end where everyone can dance to Polynesian pop/exotica music from a live band or from a DJ with practise. A hula hoop and a limbo contest during the party is also always fun!

My idea about the music for a tiki event can be viewed here:
http://www.myspace.com/hularock (with Soundfiles ! ! ! )

[ This Message was edited by: lemonsqueezer 2006-03-01 07:44 ]

View Profile of lemonsqueezer Send a personal message to lemonsqueezer  Email lemonsqueezer Goto the website of lemonsqueezer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-28 7:53 pm   Permalink

... don't forget the various and sundry tattoo booths that open for business around the same time the bar kicks into high gear... man that'd rock...

... the alohabros would be there, shaders, outliners & all, giving discounts to the wackiest tattoo requests (of course after the all waivers had been signed)...

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
caerthe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-28 8:57 pm   Permalink

So far, there have been several mentions of tribal body decoration in one form or another. The thought of having a Tattoo artist(s) as a vendor, had crossed my mind. I wasn't sure it would be well accepted. I personally have no problem with tribal tattoos, but I'm wondering if your average tiki event attendee would feel it too dark for such an event. Plus, depending on whom would perform the tattoos, there's a whole spiritual and ceremonial side to some of these particular tattoos and artists that may not be a good fit for an event. However, if it is the will of those who want to attend, then it should be included in some manner.

View Profile of caerthe Send a personal message to caerthe  Email caerthe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
caerthe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-01 08:33 am   Permalink

Another question to pose.

At tiki events where admission is required, do event attendees recieve anything that distinguishes them from the general public? Conventions are fairly popular in my region and attendees generally recieve a pin-on button or pass of some sort (like a concert pass) that signifies them as a paid attendee and ensures their access to attendee exclusive activities. Does this happen at most tiki events? If so, what are some of the "passes" that have been used and what is your personal preference?

*Pin-on button
*Lanyard (concert style) pass
*T-shirts
What else?

View Profile of caerthe Send a personal message to caerthe  Email caerthe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 08:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-01 08:33, caerthe wrote:
Another question to pose.

...that signifies them as a paid attendee and ensures their access to attendee exclusive activities. Does this happen at most tiki events... What else...

... now, you see, this is where the tattoo booth and the reception booth blend into one...

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
caerthe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-01 09:48 am   Permalink

edited to avoid redundancy. apologies

[ This Message was edited by: caerthe 2006-03-01 09:50 ]

caerthe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-01 09:48 am   Permalink

Sabina wrote

___________________________________________________________________________________
"As an original midwesterner (Ohio) It seems to me even MORE important to have Tiki events in what are otherwise relatively non-Tiki places. These are where Tiki is needed the most, and where Tikiphiles feel the most isolated....."
___________________________________________________________________________________

I couldn't agree more heartily.

I think it's excellent that there is such an enthusiastic tiki community and selection of events along the coasts and in areas of the Midwest; however, there are many places where the ravages of time have nearly wiped away all signs of the former era and could really use an infusion of the energy that exists elsewhere.

caerthe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-01 09:49 am   Permalink

[/quote]

... now, you see, this is where the tattoo booth and the reception booth blend into one...

[/quote]

Touche

thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-03-01 11:30 am   Permalink

More variety of music. I thought the Hukilau last year was excellent in the variety and quality of music. Just having exotica and Hawaiian acts can get boring and isn't conducive for dancing. Perhaps fewer live bands and more DJs at events would promote mingling and dancing as with bands you feel you have to watch. Although I thought Waitiki's set of Martin Denny's music at the Mai-Kai at Hukilau last year was excellent, people just sat and watched. I was pretty drunk by this time and was more in the mood to dance or talk to people than to sit and be quiet.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 11:34 am   Permalink

Don't forget the quality live entertainment!!! My biases aside, this culture has a very strong tradition in music, and as such, it has become integral to the ambience of any tiki spot.

As for events, a home bar tour to the local masterpieces is key, as would be bartending master classes. Toss the tiki a-la caber tossing is a great idea too, as are dance workshops. Even a presentation on the music and the culture would be cool, presenting some of the high points of Exotica, and the artwork too.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 8:13 pm   Permalink

What would I like to see at a Tiki Party?...
Me with something rummy in my grasp.

View Profile of Hau 'oli Tiki Send a personal message to Hau 'oli Tiki  Email Hau 'oli Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
caerthe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-01 8:25 pm   Permalink

Question for vendors, since some have been commenting.

If you could change or improve one thing about your experiences as a vendor, what would it be?

One vendor mentioned having some of the event activities in the vendor area. I think this is a good idea for two reasons. 1.As the vendor mentioned, it helps them feel that they still are at an event and not just there to sell things. 2.More activities in the vendor area, creates more foot traffic which means more potential customers.

Other thoughts?

caerthe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-01 8:26 pm   Permalink

Same question for artists.

If you could change or improve one thing, relating to what you do, what would it be?

chisel slinger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 06:30 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: chisel slinger 2006-03-02 06:40 ]

View Profile of chisel slinger Send a personal message to chisel slinger  Email chisel slinger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 08:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-01 20:25, caerthe wrote:
Question for vendors, since some have been commenting.

If you could change or improve one thing about your experiences as a vendor, what would it be?

One vendor mentioned having some of the event activities in the vendor area. I think this is a good idea for two reasons. 1.As the vendor mentioned, it helps them feel that they still are at an event and not just there to sell things. 2.More activities in the vendor area, creates more foot traffic which means more potential customers.

Other thoughts?

Having activities in the vendor area not only focuses the foot traffic, which is good for the vendors, but having nicely adorned displays provides a nice ambience.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation