FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Tiki Event-What do you wanna see?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Tiki Event-What do you wanna see?
caerthe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-05 02:18 am   Permalink

I'm going back through comments from the last couple of days.

mbonga wrote:
Quote:

3. Photo sessions with models. I'm really into photography myself, and I think a lot of other people here would love to have more photos of nice models posing draped over tikis, especially female models wearing grass skirts or swimsuits. Male models are also a possibility, depending on the amount of interest. That could be considered legal "adult" entertainment of sorts and would incidentally provide additional documentation of the event. It could also bring in a significant amount of additional income for models and the event, if there were a fee charged per photographer.

So, if I understand you correctly, you're wanting something like a "home-game" version of Winkitiki. This idea takes me in two directions.

1.A vendor style situation, possibly featuring Winkitiki himself, where he sets up a basic background with a certain number of adjustable props, a few lighting options and a model. Customers then pay for a limit of time in which to use Winkitiki's equipment to photograph the subject. Depending on the set-up, the customer may be able to view shots his/her shots, immediately after the session and choose a predetermined number for print. Customer would then receive prints a few weeks later. There's some interesting logistics to consider for both the vendor and the event staff, but I think it could possibly work. Not sure on legality, especially if nudity of the model were an option. Something that could easily be researched, however. If such an activity were allowed, a large emphasis would have to be made of the art aspect. There's a whole "hey, let's go take nudie pictures" aspect, that I'd personally want to avoid.

2.Winkitiki fantasy class. These type of classes are very popular with a number of high-end hotels and resorts: BBQ or cooking lessons w/professional chefs, golf classes with a pro, etc. I would venture to guess that this would be a more preferable option for the vendor as classes could be sold in advance of the event. For the event attendee/customer, exclusive attention for a predetermined time period would be excellent, but these Fantasy Classes tend to be fairly pricey.

There are two big questions, regarding both options:
-Would there be enough interest from event attendees to make either option financially viable for both the event attendees and the vendor?
-Would arranging for space, backdrops, lights, props, model(s), etc. be too difficult, logistically speaking, for the vendor?

Thoughts or suggestions?

[ This Message was edited by: caerthe 2006-03-05 02:25 ]

View Profile of caerthe Send a personal message to caerthe  Email caerthe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mbonga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-05 07:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

So, if I understand you correctly, you're wanting something like a "home-game" version of Winkitiki.

I was completely unfamiliar with Winkitiki until I searched this site just now, in response to your question. I see now:
http://www.winkytiki.com/
But yes, exactly that type of clothed cheesecake photo, except with more tikis.

Quote:

1.A vendor style situation, possibly featuring Winkitiki himself, where he sets up a basic background with a certain number of adjustable props, a few lighting options and a model. Customers then pay for a limit of time in which to use Winkitiki's equipment to photograph the subject.

No, I was thinking everybody just uses their own cameras, as if they were each a fashion photographer. This takes very little overhead. Extra public lighting would be preferable, but even that would not be necessary. Just about anybody could loan a large tiki for the sessions at no cost, with the side benefit of getting exposure for their artwork or products. Customers could either pay a flat fee, or by amount of time, or some combination scheme.

Quote:

Depending on the set-up, the customer may be able to view shots his/her shots, immediately after the session and choose a predetermined number for print. Customer would then receive prints a few weeks later.

I think in terms of digital cameras now. The customer sees his/her own preview immediately, no developing or delays or middleman necessary at all. Simple, easy, inexpensive, virtually no overhead anywhere, just pure income for the models and/or sponsors. People pay, walk into the setup area, take pictures, then leave. No physical products coming or going anywhere, other than the camera they came with.

Quote:

There's some interesting logistics to consider for both the vendor and the event staff, but I think it could possibly work. Not sure on legality, especially if nudity of the model were an option.

I was assuming no nudity. Nudity suddenly creates enormous legal hurdles, which is why I mentioned swimsuits or grass skirts and it being legal. This old touristy postcard from Tiki Gardens is the kind of photo I had in mind when I wrote my suggestion:

View Profile of mbonga Send a personal message to mbonga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
caerthe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-05 2:14 pm   Permalink

Thanks for including the Winkitiki link mbonga, my bad.

So I think maybe what you're looking for is more of a photo opp session. One that would be available to the public and maybe cost a small fee for the opportunity, but would encourage attendees to use their own equipment in order to increase efficiency and cut down on overhead. Fair enough. There would still be some logistics to work out, but nothing as extensive as I was thinking.

I agree on the no nudity. Once people take their clothes off, a whole new world of legal issues arise.

[ This Message was edited by: caerthe 2006-03-05 19:02 ]

View Profile of caerthe Send a personal message to caerthe  Email caerthe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-03-05 6:55 pm   Permalink

I agree that nudity is out of the question, unless it's in my room!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
caerthe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-05 9:33 pm   Permalink

Another comment from this thread...

Kaikaina wrote:

[/quote]
What about going for some kind of world record? That might encourage people to come.
[/quote]

This is another idea that I think could work well and generate some good publicity for an event.

I've had a small amount of experience in this area (My mentor successfully coordinated the world's largest peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but my attempt to create the world's largest human conveyor belt, failed horribly) and world records basically boil down to two things: Quantity and Degree of Difficulty. My folly was to choose a record that involved both. Especially bad for a first attempt.

So any ideas on the kind of world record attempt?

Quantity ideas:
-Worlds largest Mai Tai
-Worlds largest group of hula dancers
-?????

Degree of Difficulty:
This is a hard one folks because you either need someone with a very unique, very skilled talent or a large group of people who're dedicated enough to completing the task that they'll 1.Actually listen to instructions (works well with a few people, but try a couple thousand) 2.Willing to hang around long enough to complete the task (people get bored easy and have a tendency to stray from the pack, especially when the first attempt doesn't succeed) 3.Actually attempt to complete the task 4.Continue to hang around after their part has been played (records not only need to be witnessed by an official, but that official will also have to count every individual participant). Any ideas would be welcome.

Couple of things I learned:
-Guinness (same people who make the beer) will not send out one of their people to officially witness the record attempt unless you can either gaurantee enough publicity to justify them sending someone from Ireland (this is exactly what I was told by a Guinness World's Record official in 03') or are willing to front the expense of flying one of their people to your destination (including flight, room, board and ((if memory serves)) some kind of promotional fee). Again, this is what I was told in 03', they might do things differently now. The final compromise was to get a local Weights and Measures representative to act as witness. This only cost about $100 and worked out well.

-World records aren't often broken for a good reason...they're either friggin' hard or really expensive to accomplish. My original attempt was going to be the worlds largest milkshake, but the attempt fell through when our dairy partner realized the expense of 1,000 plus gallons of milk.

-Guinness won't generally recognize an original record unless one of their officials is sent to preside. To be fair, Guinness does offer to bring the bells and whistles when they send someone, it's just the expense is too high for most event budgets.

As always, your thoughts are more than welcome.

caerthe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-06 11:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-27 22:01, Sabina wrote:
Events that allow time to explore more- what else is around in the neighborhood and town- drive ins, other architectural goodies, diners, museum exhibits, an evening boat cruise on a Tikified boat (a la Hukilau!) a tie in with a gallery event- best of all a Tiki show! Maybe renting out a local architecturally significant movie theater to run Tiki films in- work with what you've got, and then figure how Tiki can be worked in.

If a tiki movie screening were possible, within a theater along the style Sabina suggested, what film would you wish to see and at what time would you want to go?

Again, conventions are fairly predominant in my area, and some occassionaly have midnight movie screenings.

Had to edit because I hit send instead of spell check, apologies.

[ This Message was edited by: caerthe 2006-03-06 11:40 ]

Kaikaina
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-08 4:26 pm   Permalink

World's Largest Mai Tai. Great idea! "If you mix it: They will come"

View Profile of Kaikaina Send a personal message to Kaikaina  Email Kaikaina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
caerthe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-08 10:49 pm   Permalink

"If you mix it, they will come."

I really like that!

Mind if I use that in the future?

KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-10 4:04 pm   Permalink

Wow. That's a lot of questions.

You know, I have received a few emails here and there from folks that were curious as to how we (The Fraternal Order of Moai) managed to put together an event (The Hot Rod Hula Hop) out of what was presumably thin air and in such a short period of time. I can tell you that the type of event you are talking about is a sh*tload of work, and even with your experience to back you up, it frankly takes a whole lot of help from a whole lot of good people to make it happen.

Now I can appreciate your research here, and that can't hurt at all, but the best thing to do is to establish a relationship with the folks that put these things on, and try to get some info from them without overwhelming them with questions. In otherwords, the best way to learn is to watch and listen.

Tikibars is certainly on track there, and I agree 100% with all of his sentiment. You frankly need to show up at some of these events, and if possible, volunteer to help.

It seems to me that with your background, you could be of great assistance to those of us who do this sorta thing, and we could offer you a hell of a lot of down and dirty practical "on the job" training in exchange.

As James said, the tiki community is pretty good about helping each other. When I asked Swanky, Tikibars, Otto, and a host of others for advice and help, all of them happily chipped in. So long as you don't pester folks too much, they can usually point you in the right direction.

My advice in all this? Start small. The "Perfect Tiki Event" is the one that you can afford, and the one that everybody has a great time at. It isn't rocket science or even a formula. Of course we have a bit of a difference in that we are a tiki hot rod show... which makes things a bit thematically off from a pure tiki event. We have the Columbus Drifters car club to thank as well, as they are our co-sponsor and they really pull a lot of the load when the monster comes to life.

Start small. Feel it out. Get close to your audience. Enjoy the intimacy.

The best part for me is meeting people and seeing folks have fun. That is what is most perfect.

Well, that and the after party. -grin-

Ahu

[ This Message was edited by: KuKuAhu 2006-03-10 16:08 ]

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-10 4:18 pm   Permalink

Nice post KuKuAhu.

Elegant and to the point

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
caerthe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-10 6:00 pm   Permalink

Thank you KuKuAhu, I will take your words under consideration.

Your suggestion of volunteering is very wise, but as I said earlier, I haven't been able to attend these excellent events. Only read and observe the words of others. So until I'm able to gather this experience first hand, I felt a little market research would be wise. Towards that end, this thread and everyone who has responded, have been extremely enlightening and very entertaining. I am very glad to hear that information and help are given so freely in this community and it appears that it is quite hard to pester anyone, which would be entirely unfortunate and unintended. I keep posting the questions and these very generous list members keep responding. Furthermore, I must commend the overall TC community for being so welcoming of someone, like myself, who is obviously fairly new to tiki and very eager to learn.

Again, KuKuAhu, my appreciation for your kind advice.

caerthe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-10 10:12 pm   Permalink

The research continues....

What are some of the more original and enjoyable musical acts you've attended at a tiki event?

caerthe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-10 11:06 pm   Permalink

To clarify my question, I'm asking in regards to musical acts with some sort of performance element: Dancers, acrobatics(?), hula dancers (of course), possibly Kodo drums(I'm not sure if Kodo could be considered tiki music per se, but the drumming does have a performance element), fire dancers, etc.

Kaikaina
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-21 9:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-08 22:49, caerthe wrote:
"If you mix it, they will come."

I really like that!

Mind if I use that in the future?

Be my guest. It was a nod to "Field of Dreams".

View Profile of Kaikaina Send a personal message to Kaikaina  Email Kaikaina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
caerthe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-24 01:18 am   Permalink

Just wanted to say that after the discussions that occurred on this thread, several months ago, that it's good to see some upcoming Tiki events with classes. I don't know if this thread had anything to do with that or if these events always had them, but it seems like something the people want and I hope these events make the $ to justify the effort.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation