FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Tiki Event-What do you wanna see?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Tiki Event-What do you wanna see?
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-24 1:44 pm   Permalink

cearthe,
where the heck are ya from that it is so
impossible to make it to any of these functions... they are all over the country... actually all over the world.
You're never too far from a tiki bar...
Seriously, I would suggest that you attend one of these amazing functions before
ya try to plan one!
Sweetpea

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
caerthe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-24 6:19 pm   Permalink

Sweetpea,

Denver. Course if you're offering to send me plane fair or gas $, money for hotel, event tickets, bar tab, etc. just let me know and I'll send you my address. I'm more than willing to go, but cash is tight at the moment, so that would be right neighborly of ya!

Now in regards to hosting a tiki event, I think I've covered this in my previous posts, but I will make sure to take your words under advisement.

View Profile of caerthe Send a personal message to caerthe  Email caerthe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-30 1:18 pm   Permalink

What I have always planned events around was what I wanted to see and do. If you are a fan of the genre (tiki or whatever), you ought to know what people want when they gather. It's that simple. A fan making an event for the fans.

Why is Hukilau at the Mai Kai? Because that's a place I always wanted to visit and we knew everyone else did too. And so on.

If you stick to that plan, you will do well. If you plan an event for tiki fans and promote it to everybody and design it to appeal to everybody, then the tiki fans won't be happy (maybe). But you have to, to some extent. Big events have to appeal to a lot of people.

The biggest issue is size. You can't support having Ape and Don Tiki and Don Ho and Robert Drasnin and a 16 member hula review and so on with 150 attendees. Well, unless they each pay about $500 for tickets. You have to justify people spending what it costs to fly or drive to your event, take time off work and stay at a hotel, etc. while at the same time, keep a focus on the budget and on making sure everyone has a good time. What will 500 people pay for tickets and what will that afford? 700? 200? If you are in Californai where more fans can drive, does that mean more fans will attend? What about Florida?

And the budget is the bottom line (duh). If only 500 people show up at Hukilau, or if only 70 rooms are rented in the host hotel, you know what happens? Hukilau goes under. It's not as though you are a corporation with a budget. You can't absorb loss. And you cannot take not making the budget with the hotel or you get fined $20,000. Seriously.

There is blue sky event. And there is reality event. There are many many things to consider. But, be a fan and create an event you would want to go to and you should get people to show up. How many people depends on a zillion factors.

Ask Pablus. He has been known to throw a near perfect tiki event at the Lagoon Lounge on a near monthly basis. Ask Kalua Geoff about the Hawaiian Inn gathering. Ask King Kuku about Tiki Taix that sounds great. Wish I could go.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
caerthe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-31 01:59 am   Permalink

Very good advice. Thanks for the recommended contacts!

View Profile of caerthe Send a personal message to caerthe  Email caerthe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation