FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tikisobayli Projects 12-9-09 Wow...Three Years and Finally a New Project!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tikisobayli Projects 12-9-09 Wow...Three Years and Finally a New Project!
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-10 06:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-05 11:02, tikisobayli wrote:
All in all, he turned out really good for my first attempt.

Boy I'll say! Great Job! The color is very rich!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-10 4:19 pm   Permalink

These are awesome.....Willy wonkinees or not......Great tikis for your first....hell they'd be great tikis for your fourth or fifth.
Great job.

-Happy Skull-ptures---

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-10 5:43 pm   Permalink

I spent a little time today working on the new guy, but not much came of it. I went to our university library most of the afternoon spending time reading and photocopying. It truly is amazing the depth of Oceanic Art. My question to everyone, any suggestions as to completing the hand/leg/feet section at the lower portion of the tiki? Should it remain rather simple or have more detail. My thinking is that since these guys are going to be more kitschy then traditional, maybe more on the simple side. Any thoughts?

View Profile of tikisobayli Send a personal message to tikisobayli  Email tikisobayli Goto the website of tikisobayli     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-10 5:53 pm   Permalink

For just getting started you are doing some really great work.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-11 8:42 pm   Permalink

Here are some new pictures of the first atomic guy. These pictures are from tonight, just after the first sanding. I still have to sanding with 100 and 220 grit before any type of finish is applied.

Front View:

Side View:

Back:

Kind of a Canted Angle:

I attempted to back cut(?) behind the teeth. It really slowed me down. I know that I'm going to need to learn some better techniques for this. I kept the lower portion pretty simple as the mouth and eyes are the focus of this guy. For this one, I played around more with the subtracted elements and I like the results. Any comments or suggestions for improvement?

View Profile of tikisobayli Send a personal message to tikisobayli  Email tikisobayli Goto the website of tikisobayli     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-12 04:35 am   Permalink

i can't suggest any areas for improvement - it's looking great so far - can't wait to see the final product (and his 2 mates!).

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-12 05:15 am   Permalink

Wow, really great first tikis. Puts mine to shame. Keep up the great work. Just keep making wood chips and using lots of tools to learn what each one does. Another carver is born. Whooowooo!

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-12 11:07 am   Permalink

Hey, that's great. I'm glad that my post made you want to carve those tikis...

By the way, don't know if you remember, but they were first real tiki poles, before being the design for the atomic office, as seen on this record cover, and were famous in papeete :

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-12 3:55 pm   Permalink

Well he sure looks happy....I like him...any plans for the finish...ya gonna splash a little
paint around or stain him? Nice job.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-12 7:07 pm   Permalink

Varani- Thanks for the album cover! I knew that there was another image that went along with it, but just could not remember what it was. I will say this, they are certainly colorful, but I like them a lot.

I worked on putting a finish on the latest tiki today:

Overall the finish is OK. I tried to go a little lighter on this one. When you see it, some of the features kind of get lost. So, after seeing the album cover, I'm thinking that I will add some muted colors over the stain to highlight some of the features.

While the stain was drying and so forth, I started on another project:

I have had these large piece of oak for a while now and never knew what to do with them. The came out of a old cotton warehouse and were originally floorboards. They are just under 2 inches thick. Great pieces of wood and I think they my turn into some weaponry for the Wiki Wiki Room. Very excited about working on this for sure.

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-13 09:25 am   Permalink

The finish came out really nice, better than that on the album cover. That is a nice chunk of oak. Keep us posted.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-13 09:42 am   Permalink

You have REALLY Out done yourself wth your Awesome first tikis. They came out VERY Nicely. Looks like you are going down the same path with this club.. Keep it UP. Great...

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-14 09:09 am   Permalink

Thanks JP and Ben for the continued support. I'm continuing with the Sali club. After cutting out the basic shape with the band saw, I realized the club was to thick. So, as I don't own a planer, I used a router to thin out portions in the handle and blade. Once thinned, chisels and a sander were used to round the lower potion of the handle. I have never worked with oak before and assumed that it would be very tough to carve. But, the oak is really nice to work with and I think in the end is going to have a great finish. So, here are a couple progress shots:

[ This Message was edited by: tikisobayli 2006-03-14 09:14 ]

tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-08 1:02 pm   Permalink

So, here are a few updates on my projects. My first war club is just about finished. The last coat of stain is drying as I type. Here are a couple pictures of the progress:

One side with initial check carving on the upper handle

Final Sanding and 1st part of finish applied:

Overall the club turned out pretty good and was for sure a great learning experience. I still need to apply the shell inlay that I have cut for the upper handle. I will be finishing that task this afternoon. I have some good ideas of where to improve on the next one. I wish that I could have afforded Coon Tiki to see the weapon master firsthand.

Next, is a second Marquesas inspired guy. Over our spring break I was at my parents house up in the N. Georgia mountains. So I went on a search for new wood and found plenty. I brought back about 6 white pine logs ranging from 2.5' to over 6' in height. Plus, I cut a bunch of very large white oak sections that are still at their house drying. Anyway, here is the first of the tikis to be made out of pine material.

Very first rough out cuts or "Torpedo Tiki"

Here is the guy as he stands today:

I will have some time over the next few days to finish this guy up. I have read on here about how nice pine is to carve. I do enjoy the easy of it and it really does cut like butter. However, it appears that it will take more sanding in the end and it does not hold the best detail when compared to the other wood that I have used.

So, when this guy is finished I think that he is going to have to find a new home. We are moving to the Atlanta area during the end of May and we want to move as little as possible.

tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-11 4:57 pm   Permalink

Here are some new pictures of things being worked on right now. With the spring weather here in the south taking hold, plenty of time for projects. Anyway, here we go. Here is the finished sali, except for the shell inlay which I am still working on. The picture does not really portray the color of the finished product. The flash made the club have a much redder hue then it really does.

My second Marquesan inspired just got its final sanding. Here are a couple shots of this guy:

Tomorrow I will start with the stain and we will see how it turns out.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation