[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Tiki Finger Food
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Finger Food
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-09 2:16 pm   Permalink

(Couldn't find this topic discussed but I admit, I didn't spend all day looking). Anybody have a good tiki finger food recipe that drunk people can eat in your new tiki basement without making a big mess?

I thank you.

My future, drunk guests thank you.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-09 2:17 pm   Permalink

a simple shrimp cocktail.
Even better: pretzels

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-09 2:29 pm   Permalink

Yeah, nothing screams "Tiki" like pretzels.
And I don't know about you but I'd rather not have cocktail sauce and shrimp tails on my new carpet.

These come to mind.
Trader Vic's Cheese Balls

View Profile of badmojo Send a personal message to badmojo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-09 2:33 pm   Permalink

i just had a strange revelation.
At your party, serve banana slices on tooth picks

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
UtopianDreem
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-09 3:19 pm   Permalink

The thread Food: Puu-Puu Platter brought up some good ideas.

And don't forget the Cheese-Paté Pineapple

[ This Message was edited by: UtopianDreem 2006-03-09 15:22 ]

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-09 3:44 pm   Permalink

These are not really hawaiian. but good/easy. First take one of those small loaves of french bread, about 2-3 inches around. Slice 3/4 of an inch. Now butter one side. Then sprinkle with A spice called sandwich sprinkle. (It is made by penzeys spices) All you need to do now is broil till toasty. the best thing is you can slice bread before it gets stale, And freeze Slices till needed. You can also use same bread same cut. But top with apricot preserves, now add 1/4 inch slice of brie. place in broiler toast. Heres a dip.1 lb Cream cheese,1/4 lb margarine, Both soft. mix well. Place cheese marg mix in serving dish. Now top with 10 ounce jar of rothschilds hot pepper raspberry preserves. Serve with wheat thins. Done.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2006-03-09 15:51 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-09 3:46 pm   Permalink

I have found that sushi with wasabi and soy sauce makes an excellent complement to tropical rum drinks. My local grocery stores carry a decent, though not top quality, selection. If you really want to go crazy (and you should), pick up a copy of Beachbum Berry's Taboo Table. Even if you don't make anything from it, it's a fun read.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-09 7:29 pm   Permalink

Hmmmm... What I need is pupu platter-flavored pretzels. The cheesy pineapple looks awesome. Definitely one I'd have to practice. I have to admit, I'm too much of a wuss to eat sushi; can't make myself do it. Fish does seem like a natural tiki food--but how? Maybe freeze-dried fish sticks! The apricot brie is yummers--just not on my new rug.

Any other suggestions? thanks again.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-09 10:47 pm   Permalink

If you have Trader Joe's markets where you live... There's your answer.
They have a great selection of frozen party treats. Coconut shrimp, pot stickers, dim sum. An now they have this amazing coconut ice cream that comes in little half coconut shell cups. Mmmmmm.
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-10 07:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-09 19:29, pappythesailor wrote:
...I have to admit, I'm too much of a wuss to eat sushi; can't make myself do it. Fish does seem like a natural tiki food--but how?

Pappy, it doesn't have to be raw fish on the sushi. Sushi is the rice that you make it with, sashimi is raw fish. Try using smoked salmon, or crab salad, or "California Roll" (crab, avocado & cucumber, often with cream cheese). Or you could make Hawaiian Musubi, which is a rice pad topped with fried Spam, linguica (Portugese) sausage, or chicken katsu.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-10 2:28 pm   Permalink

Two words pappy - Aloha Dip. My wife said she threw out the dip I took to Bargoyle's, but I just pulled it out from the far reaches of the fridge. MMM - nothing like 2 month old cream and blue cheese. Shall I bring it by?

Seriously though, I'm guessing anything that doesn't involve red sauce or oyster sauce should be safe. Maybe some wontons, beef terriyaki, chicken fingers, cut fruit (pineapple a must of course), cheese, pepperoni and crackers. Yeah its not all very tiki, but its safe.

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-10 2:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-09 19:29, pappythesailor wrote:
I have to admit, I'm too much of a wuss to eat sushi; can't make myself do it. Fish does seem like a natural tiki food--but how?

Try the sushi after a few zombies. At that point, you'll probably try anything. Fish is a natural tiki food for the same reason fish floats and outrigger canoes are a natural decoration for tiki bars.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-10 5:08 pm   Permalink

... peanuts, of course... let your guests shell 'em and wolf 'em down...

... the shells?...

... the shells drop to the floor and, well, texture...

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-10 5:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-10 14:28, johnman wrote:
Two words pappy - Aloha Dip. My wife said she threw out the dip I took to Bargoyle's, but I just pulled it out from the far reaches of the fridge. MMM - nothing like 2 month old cream and blue cheese. Shall I bring it by?

Seriously though, I'm guessing anything that doesn't involve red sauce or oyster sauce should be safe. Maybe some wontons, beef terriyaki, chicken fingers, cut fruit (pineapple a must of course), cheese, pepperoni and crackers. Yeah its not all very tiki, but its safe.

Two words: Eeeeeee-eeeeww! Yeah, that aloha dip was good when it was young. What's the recipe?

Yeah, peanuts vacuum up nice. Except for those terrible Spanish peanuts. How I hate them...

Lots of ideas, Ohana --more!

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-11 05:08 am   Permalink

Heres my suggestion as posted in the thread What food do you serve at your tiki bar?

"Edamame...Green soybeans in the pod. You can buy the frizzed bags of them at Asian grocers and usually in the health food section of big grocery stores. Dump a bag into boiling water, boil 'til the beans is hot (not cooked), give 'em a quick rinse in cold water (just to cool 'em down a bit so they don't bite fingers), dump into some swell monkey pod bowl you bought but never used for anything and sprinkle big salts over the top. Have another bowl for the shells. They're easy as heck to make...Even with a buzz on...And everyone I've served these to have loved 'em."

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation