FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki I just bought...(Tiny Tiki Pencil Toppers Page 3!!!)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
I just bought...(Tiny Tiki Pencil Toppers Page 3!!!)
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-14 8:42 pm   Permalink

My point Pocky is that if you ever are fortunate enough to attend a first rate tiki event you might find these shirts to be MUCH more common among TCers than you might guess.

Yes they are bright but TC is not about tasteful or muted colors. Its about overt expression and celebration of eras gone by.

Dont spend too much of your money at the local walmart or montgomery ward.

Search for those treasures and celebrate when you find them

PS- If you really dont like the samples I provided, then buy them anyway and send them to me. The are valuable and rare.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-15 03:59 am   Permalink

i think i'd keep them anyways considering you just said something along the lines of valuable...sweeeet. lol

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-15 08:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-14 17:52, Monkeyman wrote:
check out some of these vintage shirts (These are not from my personal collection).

I dunno, some of those shirts look mighty familiar...

Pocky, those shirts his Monkeyness posted are vintage, 30 - 40 or even 50+ years old, and are often made from materials and in patterns that you can't find anymore. This doesn't mean they're better than what you found, just that you won't find new shirts like them. If you're interested in finding vintage shirts you need to haunt all the Thrift Stores, Church Rummage Sales and Estate Sales in your area, and don't expect to find much at the Thrift Stores. Vintage shirts are valuable & popular and Thrift Stores are usually scoured free of them by store employees for sale to Vintage Clothing Stores & collectors. When someone like Rob Schneider is willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a rare shirt, and clothing exporters can make a fortune shipping bales of vintage clothing to Japan, it becomes very difficult to find older Hawaiian shirts for a Buck or two at Sal Army.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-15 09:37 am   Permalink

I went to our salvation army last weekend while staking out mug sales. They didn't have anything tropical/south seas. I didn't bother looking in the clothing area. I may have to do that this weekend.

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-15 2:11 pm   Permalink

PockyTiki,
Here is a thread on vintage Hawaiian shirts that you should find informative:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=1903&forum=1

especially this post by our own beloved Chongolio:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=1903&forum=1&vpost=20321

MonkeyMan,
Them's some damn fine shirts!

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-15 5:49 pm   Permalink

I found thrift stores are good for these shirts - cheap too!

I was looking for a "hippy" clothes once for a uni role play presentation and ended up buying Hawaiian shirts instead!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-15 6:14 pm   Permalink

Alright so if you all don't know, TikiSkip and I commenced a trade. He gave me 2 shot glasses, a tiki mug, swizzles, 2 little umbrellas, a post card, a burnt CD of tiki music and a coaster. The stuff is so awesome. Thanks TikiSkip!

And NO he did not give me that lava lamp, lol. That's mine.

Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-15 6:18 pm   Permalink

Wow!! Nice trade!! That Trader Vic's half shot is a great score.

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 07:13 am   Permalink

That is a nice trade. Its a tiki starter kit I only got a little amount of postcards, swizzle sticks, and umbrellas, by chance over more than a year. I don't have any of that stuff but for the PMP mug that was one of the last mugs I bought. That green shot glass looks just like a shot- Shotgun shell.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 12:05 pm   Permalink

lol that's what it is, man. I laughed my butt off when i saw it.

joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 12:56 pm   Permalink

Pocky, I noticed that you are one of the younger members of TC. If I may ask, how did you get into Tiki and when? Did you stumble upon TC while doing an online search? Was there any particular impetus that moved you?

Personally, I got into it when I was planning a luau themed engagement party for friends of mine a couple years ago. After doing so much research into the appropriate music, drinks, food, etc., I came across so many tiki sites including TC. I had so much fun planning that party and enjoyed what I discovered online (which I never knew was there before) that I was hooked on tiki ever since then.

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 7:24 pm   Permalink

haha i love it when people ask me this. It gives me an actual chance to express my...well...passion for this stuff. Alright it was a couple weeks back, and we had just gotten back from WDW down in orlando. A couple days after that trip i was planning designs for a clay mask (which is in the drying process right now). I was originally into the "Noh" masks from Japan, and started to build one like a Noh Mask. However it turned out like utter crap that i literally broke the piece in half. So after that horrible anxiety attack on myself i looked into polynesian/tiki carvings....and then it hit me. What ARE these beautiful creations? Made by the human hand? Yes...simply...godly. I fell in love with them immediately. Thusly, i am here now. That's my tale.

PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 7:28 pm   Permalink

Alright gentlemen, and fine women. I have my latest (and smallest) find(s). I was travelling out into leominster and i stopped into Newbury comics where i found these:
Yes, tiny tiki pencil toppers made by, yes you guessed it. Accoutrements (sp?). Actually my girlfriend located them and i thought they were cute little guys, so thusly I'm renting my house out to them.

Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 7:38 pm   Permalink

Removed.

I shall never ever post to this thread again.

[ This Message was edited by: Cool Manchu 2006-03-16 20:30 ]

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaikaina
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-16 10:39 pm   Permalink

But I will... Hey Pocky, have you read the posts by Bungy yet? Since you just got back from Walt Disney World, it reminded me of her stuff. If you want to be amazed, check this out. The Disney reference made me think of it. While her story refers to Disneyland in California, you'll appreciate the stories. Her family used to have one of the original souvenier stands in Disneyland. (among other AMAZING things) It's interesting because they realized that they could sell anything to anyone just by putting a Disneyland sticker on it.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=17694&forum=1&hilite=bungy

This kind of relates to some of the threads from other TC'ers encouraging you to be a bit more discerning in your tiki acquisitions. They want you to spend your money on the true, authentic tiki instead of the "tiki for the masses" stuff that they just slapped a tiki sticker or tiki motif on. Do whatever makes you happy Pocky. I like your determinism and enthusiam.

View Profile of Kaikaina Send a personal message to Kaikaina  Email Kaikaina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation