FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving A Frame pole carving - suggestions wanted!
A Frame pole carving - suggestions wanted!
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-15 9:00 pm   Permalink

Just picked up three 10" diameter pine logs, 2 @ 7' long, one 6'. I'm having a triangle concrete pad laid next weekend, and the two 7' will be the front supports for a thatch A Frame structure, with the 6' the back support.

I plan to carve the back one on the side facing the front of the structure. For the front two.. I want to carve the fron of them, but I'm thinking from inside, I'll be looking at the back side of the logs. Should I.... carve tikis front and back.... carve the front and leave the back alone... carve the front and put router style tapa patterns in the back???

Anyone gone through this process already? Suggestions much appreciated!

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-15 9:41 pm   Permalink

id carve both sides..where did you get those logs ????

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-15 9:56 pm   Permalink

Exactly! That was my first question! Where did you get the logs? That's great! Yeah - Carve both sides! I wanna do that! Don't listen to me tho - I havn't done nuttin like that yet. Keep us posted please. Progress pics would be great.....

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 05:39 am   Permalink

I got them from C& E Lumber in Pomona... they have all sorts and sizes. Not cheap, though... $27/ foot. But they are really clean, few knots, smooth finish, ready to go. The three pieces came out of 1 20' log.. so they are all pretty identical.

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
scarysnarles
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-16 05:50 am   Permalink

Have you caught any art from the Pacific N W tribes. They must have been on something to get those boxes & poles carved up the way they did!

View Profile of scarysnarles Send a personal message to scarysnarles  Email scarysnarles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 09:49 am   Permalink

Are you going to have a concrete pier foundation with a post mounting bracket on top? 6' & 7' posts are too short to put in a post hole.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-16 10:17 am   Permalink

Freddie.. yep, there will be brackets on the top of the concrete floor. The posts aren't going in the ground.

Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-17 4:59 pm   Permalink

Does anyone have any pics of a carved on both sides? I'd love to see how you handle the mid point where the two carvings meet.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-17 8:16 pm   Permalink

Those are Nice lookin logs DB, and I wiuld carve them All the way around. Maybe use some Tapa type filler, but carve everything you are gonna see. Years later, you will be very glad you did..

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
poptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-18 02:45 am   Permalink

I'm no expert, but I have to agree with Benzart. You should carve them all the way around. What blew me away at the Mai Kai was the fact that no corner, no little spot anywhere was left untouched. That's what I thought was so impressive.

I want to try the same thing for our "Tiki" spot at home. Good luck and show some pics of them as you go.

Poptiki

View Profile of poptiki Send a personal message to poptiki  Goto the website of poptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-18 06:46 am   Permalink

Here's a pic from inside the Tahiti room at the Mai Kai If you look it shows a pretty good 3/4 front of one of the poles and a not too bad shot of the back of another pole. I have a bunch more pics if you need, but this is the only one I have that shows pretty much all around the pole in one shot.

I know the pic is a little small but I hope it helps.

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-18 06:48 am   Permalink

Man...those suckers are c l e a n. Makes my mouth water.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation