FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Are tiki torches the best surving symbol of tiki (next to tikis themselves)?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Are tiki torches the best surving symbol of tiki (next to tikis themselves)?
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-30 01:05 am   Permalink

Where on earth did you find those? Those are awesome! The conical Tiki brand types are still my favorites, but those are nifty too. Blue... by Noma?? And cubical torches?

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-30 11:44 am   Permalink

Those silver Tahiti Torches were icons of my childhood. Many memories of them burning away on the grandparents' patio whilst Herb Albert roared in the background.

Great thread fellas! Love the images.

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
khan_tiki_mon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-04 7:42 pm   Permalink

I love torches. I think I have at least a hundred torches. I have never had that many lit at one time but I have had enough going on a Saturday night to be accused by the neighbors of hosting "tribal council". I have all kinds of torches but the vast majority are the "bamboo" variety and the vast majority of those are Tiki brand torches. I get new ones every year and I love all the different styles.

The Clifton

The Crestview Palm

The Royal Polynesian

Close-up of the Royal Polynesian

The Montego Bay

The Emerald Isle

The South Seas

In recent years the Tiki brand has switched from the black metal canisters to clear plastic canisters. This is a fantastic improvement. The metal cans were always rusting and springing leaks. You could never see how much fuel was in them. On a night before a party I would be filling 20 or so canisters and my procedure was just to pour until I spilled fuel on my hands. I was always afraid I was going to light myself like a torch.

View Profile of khan_tiki_mon Send a personal message to khan_tiki_mon  Email khan_tiki_mon Goto the website of khan_tiki_mon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-07 02:38 am   Permalink

Well, I gotta hand it to Tiki brand - they've really spiffed up the bamboo torches! I would actually buy and like a number of those, even though my current garden will be all metal ones... The clear canisters sound like a good idea with these. Thanks for the photos. Now if only I can find a local store that stocks more than the basic, cheap ones.

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-07 07:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-30 11:44, JackLord wrote:
Those silver Tahiti Torches were icons of my childhood. Many memories of them burning away on the grandparents' patio whilst Herb Albert roared in the background.

Great thread fellas! Love the images.

Now, THAT'S what I'm talkin about....except, Herb Alpert could never ever "roar".....way too smooth and mellow for that.

Man, it was good to be a kid in the 60's.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-13 9:04 pm   Permalink

Picked these aluminum torches up a few years ago in Wichita, KS of all places.
They are so fab in turquoise and they are mint unused.
Marked: Patented-Tiki Torch Co. Made in Japan
Oh and I remember the dealer was having a 50% off moving sale so I said great, I'm moving them to K.C.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-15 2:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-04 19:42, khan_tiki_mon wrote:
I love torches. I think I have at least a hundred torches.

100 Tiki torches? Excellent!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vonratnick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-15 3:35 pm   Permalink

I know what you mean about having to get new ones every year. The cheap bamboo torches they sell here rust out even before the outdoor drinking season is over. I have citronella stains under all my torches, but the citronella does keep the mossies down. Prolly the smoke. I like the idea of a plastic bottle tho, hmmm.

Ever since my first visit to Hawaii, I have been hurting for those conical torches. Even contemplated making some.

Love this thread.

View Profile of Vonratnick Send a personal message to Vonratnick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-22 11:06 pm   Permalink

The Gas Company utility here on Oahu Hawaii has a new logo:

A tiki torch - pretty cool, huh?

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-23 08:18 am   Permalink

The image of the tiki torch has always been a favorite of mine. It's one of those mild, back-of-the-mind obsessions, of which I have many.

I picked up these torches from Oceanic Arts when I first bought my house. I thought I'd tiki up the back yard a bit. They've been sitting in my garage collecting dust for 7 years. I really need to do something with that yard.

These are some of my teeniest torches.

I found this material in Lennieguys' pile of fabrics, so now I have a custom Mokihana bikini with tiki torches.

I found this torch fuel years and years ago, but unfortunately it lived in the part of my house that was destroyed.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 11:15 pm   Permalink

Nice score, Tiki-Kate.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 11:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-22 23:06, Koolau wrote:
The Gas Company utility here on Oahu Hawaii has a new logo:

A tiki torch - pretty cool, huh?

I love the Old Skool Tiki torch. A true symbol of Hawaii comes back to life!

blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-17 1:53 pm   Permalink

Are tiki torches the best surving symbol of tiki (next to tikis themselves)?

I found this picture on the interwebs that says yes:

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-30 3:49 pm   Permalink

From a 1971 Pontiac brochure. Artwork by Art Fitzpatrick and Van Kaufman.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-30 8:25 pm   Permalink

Tiki Torches on Bobby Hill's Tiki Boat.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation