FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Helz's Stuff... (Proof of Concept, Pg.4)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Helz's Stuff... (Proof of Concept, Pg.4)
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-20 1:19 pm   Permalink

So after much encouragement from the Ohana, here are some pics at my first attempts at carving. It all started one fateful day in January in Loki's driveway (or better known as the South Florida Tiki Jam I)...

Here's the piece of palm Loki gave me to get me started.

That same day after proper application of angle grinder. Also a few borrowed tools.(Also a gratuitious Marquesan shot...)

Here's a close up from the group shot at the SFTJ. I borrowed GMAN's chainsaw to do the two cuts to form the mouth (Thanks G!). The very next day I went out and got my first chisels, a set of three carpenter's from sears, which is what I've been using ever since. (Yes, more Marquesan)

after much procrastination, I set to make some progress on him last Saturday. This is a before photo. I also did not carve barefooted, I've read the safety thread too many times to do that.

And here's how he looks today. I'm not shooting for him to look as cartoony as he does right now, and I still have no idea how the nose is going to look, but for better or worse...

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement so far, and I'll keep you all updated.

[ This Message was edited by: helztiki 2007-05-30 16:15 ]

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-20 1:23 pm   Permalink

Nice Helz, I was wondering about this guy. Starting to take shape. I am finally done running around like a mad man, so i propose some carving this weekend?

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-20 1:43 pm   Permalink

I see other tikis that were started that as well. ????

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-20 7:26 pm   Permalink

Helz,

Don't stop man! Keep going....cut deeper....and deeper still!!! He looks great!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-21 09:23 am   Permalink

Loki, that sounds great, just let me know what you're thinking.

Aloha, The two flanking my meager attempt weren't started there, but they definitely made some great progress that day. To the left is the handiwork of Chip (Which I'd love to see how it's progressing), and the big guy to the right is the product of Stumpgrinder's wonderful artistic talent (which can be seen further along
here).

Going much deeper is the plan G. Just need to get the outline of how I want him to look, then the chips start flyin'.

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-22 12:43 pm   Permalink

Just a couple more pics...

Long way to go, but he's coming around.

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-22 1:53 pm   Permalink

Shaping up nicely.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-22 4:45 pm   Permalink

He is starting to show himself real nice. Go deeper, I know it's hard with chisles.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-23 04:36 am   Permalink

Yeah Buoy!

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-23 05:43 am   Permalink

I'm with the deeper crowd - keep going! He looks real good so far! Very nice start!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-23 05:57 am   Permalink

Looking Good Helztiki, I think you are on the right track. Just listen to that inner voice that tells you how to do it. Another Amazing First tiki you have going there and I can't wait to see it finishae.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-25 05:35 am   Permalink

Nice tiki!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimom

Posted: 2006-03-25 07:10 am   Permalink

Helztiki,
I think your carving is coming along GREAT!!
I really like him.
tikimom

View Profile of tikimom Send a personal message to tikimom      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 2:34 pm   Permalink

Here’s just another couple of quick progress pics. I’ve gotten a fair amount of time to work on this guy, and it was great to hang out and get some pointers (and a great drink recipe – Thanks SG) from Loki, Stumpgrinder and AlohaStation.

And many thanks to Aloha, Loki, GMAN, Benz, JohnnyP, Sneaky, Gap…I really appreciate the input and encouragement.

And thanks Mom!

-Helz

rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 3:02 pm   Permalink

That looks too good to be a first tiki. Very cool Helz. Its cool that your able to meet and carve with others.

Keep at it.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation