FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Helz's Stuff... (Proof of Concept, Pg.4)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Helz's Stuff... (Proof of Concept, Pg.4)
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-01 9:47 pm   Permalink

Updates ??

Where are the updates ?!!?!

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-02 04:36 am   Permalink

Helz looking good, more pix please!

ST

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-02 06:34 am   Permalink

I agree, we need updates on this. No slackin, just updates!

-Gman

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-02 3:37 pm   Permalink

Many thanks to you guys for the encouragement. I kinda let this guy sit all week, but found a couple hours this afternoon to work on him a bit (also picked up a couple more tools to make things just a bit easier.

I'm at the stage now where there's not a lot of big progress, just refining of what's already there. That is until I tackle the nose, which I've been avoiding a little bit.

But here's a couple pics with the stuff I've been working on...

I worked on getting some more depth around the inside edge of the eye. I'm going to leave the center of the eye pretty much as it is now, just work to a nice, deep round edge on the inside.

I also got a keyhole saw so that I could finally cut his teeth. Now it's just a matter of setting them back in a little bit and rounding them off a touch so they look a little more correct.

Again, I really appreciate the encouragement, and I'll keep ya posted!

- Helz

[ This Message was edited by: helztiki 2006-04-05 09:13 ]

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-02 4:12 pm   Permalink

Great going Helz - you've got him licked! Don't let that nose beat you man....it's only a nose. I can't wait to see what you come up with for that. PM me if you wanna talk noses

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tfisherart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-03 02:59 am   Permalink

good work Helz, nice percison cut's. Are you doin' that in a condo? That's how I started, the neighbor's loved it, especially the chain saw:)

http://www.thomsart.com

View Profile of tfisherart Send a personal message to tfisherart  Email tfisherart Goto the website of tfisherart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-03 9:32 pm   Permalink

Looking good Helz , you must have got skills from your pop. Any idea on what finish you are going to apply?

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-04 08:51 am   Permalink

Thanks RT! I'm actually a little surprised myself that it's coming out like it is. It definitely makes me anxious for my next hunk of tree.

As far a finishes go, I'm hoping to get away with just oiling him. I don't plan on him being outside and I really like the natural wood finish as opposed to the shiny that you often get with Poly. But I don't know how to handle the back that still has all the bark on it (Which is how I want to leave it). I wouldn't necessarily mind if he got a little darker though...I'll have to think it through some more, I'm still sketching, trying to figure out that nose.

[ This Message was edited by: HelzTiki 2006-04-04 08:52 ]

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-04 11:19 am   Permalink

That tiki is still looking good. If you can't figure what to do next - try my remedy. Start sanding and get ready to finish it and you'll see alot of things that you will want to change. That always happens to me. Just when i think I'm done - boom - I want to start hacking at it again??

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-04 1:44 pm   Permalink

I completely agree with alohastation....

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-05 07:44 am   Permalink

Looking good Helz. Can't wait to see it at the South Florida Tiki Jam on April 22nd. Lets see some More, More, More.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-11 5:07 pm   Permalink

Well, I think I finally got that nose thing figured out...

Gotta get him in shape for the SoFla Tiki Jam II!

Thanks again to all of you for your commments and encouragement, it really makes carving all the more fun.

Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-11 5:36 pm   Permalink

i think you picked that nose perfect

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-11 6:49 pm   Permalink

Yep, that's a proper nose. Nice going. I knew you would work it out. Sometimes it takes a long time of lookin at it to figure out how to get the results you want. I think you are learning a lot with this guy. Keep it up and your next one will be fab.

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-18 10:33 am   Permalink

So, I know it’s been a while since I posted up anything, but it’s really been a crazy couple of months, what with deciding to relocate back to Colorado, flying out to find a place, getting a new job, in CO, that has me living with the folks for a few weeks, until I can get back to Florida to get my stuff and The Wahine and get moved out here permanently.

But I have had an opportunity to do a little bit of creating:

Here’s me trying out power tools on my attempt at a Marquesan…it’s a work in progress

But, I’ve also taken this opportunity of being around Pop and the kiln to give the mug thing a try…

Here’s my model. I based it off of my first carving. I know that it looks all wonky and rough, but I was trying to make it look more like a carving than a mug, so it’s not quite round, and the angles are rough…but it is what it is..

Here’s a shot of damming up the model to pour the plaster mold.

More mold making…

One just coming out of the mold.

and from the back

and completely free from the mold. Yes, those are pretty wicked part lines.

and a few in greenware

The whole bunch of them so far, some in greenware, some in bisque, some glazed and some fired.

And a few in various states in front of Pop's recent handiwork (Some color experiments, a few regulars and, a commission project he took on for a home bar).

My thanks to all of you who offered support and suggestions and recommendations along the way. I really do appreciate all of your input.

- Helz

[ This Message was edited by: HelzTiki 2006-06-18 11:03 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation