FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Wet carving Aerated Concrete?
Wet carving Aerated Concrete?
Eichlerholic

Posted: 2006-03-21 12:59 pm   Permalink

My name is Wally Fields. You may know me as the "Eichlerholic". I am about to start my aerated concrete carving adventure. Perhaps you've heard of this material.
I wanted to ask if anyone knew if it would harm the concrete to be exposed to some moisture, before sealing. I plan to mist my block before -and during- carving, to alleviate the dust hazard. I'm also wearing a NIOSH mask.
Let me know if you know. Looks like a lot of fun in any case.

510-659-9476

View Profile of Eichlerholic Send a personal message to Eichlerholic  Email Eichlerholic Goto the website of Eichlerholic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-21 1:04 pm   Permalink

I would start with this , and this . there is lots of info on AAC here and lots of great info. There is more , I just did a search for AAC or aerated.

Good luck and post lots of pics

edited to oops I didnt mean to come off that way

[ This Message was edited by: rodeotiki 2006-03-21 16:00 ]

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Eichlerholic

Posted: 2006-03-21 3:26 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Tiki Socialite. So far, didn't find anything specifically related to wet carving there, but I'll keep checking.
By the way, for any who'd like to share costs of shipping of AAC blocks, I live in the SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA. So let me know!

View Profile of Eichlerholic Send a personal message to Eichlerholic  Email Eichlerholic Goto the website of Eichlerholic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-22 04:30 am   Permalink

Haven't tried the wet carving, but sounds like a reasonable suggestion. Be carefull of making sludge and that getting into the pores of the AAC too. Let it fuly dry out before sealing.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Eichlerholic

Posted: 2006-03-22 08:02 am   Permalink

Hmmm... sludge in the pores. Guess if I wiped the block off periodically. Or sprayed the water pretty hard. Be ironic if sludge were the perfect sealer.

freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-22 09:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-22 08:02, Eichlerholic wrote:
Hmmm... sludge in the pores. Guess if I wiped the block off periodically. Or sprayed the water pretty hard. Be ironic if sludge were the perfect sealer.

Maybe try blowing the sludge off with compressed air?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-22 12:46 pm   Permalink

Hey Wally:

I carved a piece of AAC when it was damp from rain and i really didn't like the wet texture. i don't think that spraying it down will help much, but experimentation never hurts.

post your results and let us know.

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation