FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Texas police arrests drinkers for being drunk IN A BAR
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Texas police arrests drinkers for being drunk IN A BAR
johnnievelour
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-22 4:01 pm   Permalink

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060322/us_nm/bars_dc

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk, a spokeswoman for the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said on Wednesday.

The first sting operation was conducted recently in a Dallas suburb where agents infiltrated 36 bars and arrested 30 people for public intoxication, said the commission's Carolyn Beck.

Being in a bar does not exempt one from the state laws against public drunkenness, Beck said.

The goal, she said, was to detain drunks before they leave a bar and go do something dangerous like drive a car.

"We feel that the only way we're going to get at the drunk driving problem and the problem of people hurting each other while drunk is by crackdowns like this," she said.

"There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said. "People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss."

She said the sting operations would continue throughout the state.

[ This Message was edited by: johnnievelour 2006-03-22 16:02 ]

View Profile of johnnievelour Send a personal message to johnnievelour  Email johnnievelour Goto the website of johnnievelour     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-22 7:58 pm   Permalink

As bad as this sounds, just wait until the "authorities" unleash every Texan's worst nightmare...sending undercover cops into gun stores to arrest gun buyers before they get a chance to go out and shoot somebody!

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-22 10:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-22 19:58, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
As bad as this sounds, just wait until the "authorities" unleash every Texan's worst nightmare...sending undercover cops into gun stores to arrest gun buyers before they get a chance to go out and shoot somebody!

Joey, Don't forget that San Diego's the home of the only Liquor & Gun Store in these great United States! Where did I put that picture?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-23 03:07 am   Permalink

I think the interesting thing here is people's perception of the term 'in public'. In my opinion, a bar is a private establishment and for that matter so is a 50,000 seat arena. On the street, in a park, city zoo--that's 'in public' to me.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-23 05:47 am   Permalink

Yeah this is nuts. I agree with pappy - a bar isn't a 'public' place where you can be spotted by kids and tea-totalers. It's getting out of hand. I thought this kind of stuff was only in California. (Except of course the liquor store/gun shop in San Diego; that has got to be somebody's next target).

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-23 1:54 pm   Permalink

Bad movie, perfect reference, but did anyone here see the movie Minority Report?

And, I was born in Angelina County, Texas, which is a dry county. The county is full of bars, but you have to be a 'member' to have a drink. The cost to be a member is different for every bar, but the fact remains that you have to be a member of the club. That means that you are in a private establishment and I want to see the TAB go after someone in there. If memory serves, Angelina County was one of the first counties to issue a concealed weapon permit.....

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-23 6:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-22 22:33, freddiefreelance wrote:

Joey, Don't forget that San Diego's the home of the only Liquor & Gun Store in these great United States! Where did I put that picture?

Hiram's Guns & Liquor on Main St in (where else) El Cajon. I don't know if they're still there. It was located somewhere between the Hells Angels clubhouse and Kozac's as I recall.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-24 12:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-23 13:54, Chip and Andy wrote:
The county is full of bars, but you have to be a 'member' to have a drink. The cost to be a member is different for every bar, but the fact remains that you have to be a member of the club. That means that you are in a private establishment and I want to see the TAB go after someone in there.

I'm a member of the "Grand Ceremonial Forum of Mystery Tiki Alchs" and our charter says, Dink Till Ya Drop"
I love this club!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-26 10:42 pm   Permalink

"No jury in the world's going to convict a baby. Mmm...maybe Texas."
--Chief Clancy Wiggum

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 05:18 am   Permalink

Even more absurd than not being able to smoke in a bar. Big Brother is alive and well in Texas. But then, everything is big in Texas. The private club thing is a good idea, but, now I want to ask: Does the amount you pay to become a member in a particular club reflect a patron's social status/club's exclusivity? Just wondering.

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 06:25 am   Permalink

Today in Scotland begins a law of "No Smoking in Public" that was so dreaded by liquor companies that several had profitable companies had been sold because of how this ban is expected to impact Pubs (Pub is short for Public House BTW)

I wonder if the people in the Texas bar were behaving badly, flashing genitalia, fighting or rooting against Texas in the March Madness Tournament?

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 08:57 am   Permalink

I don't think a bar is "public." In photography, we were told that in "public", like on the street, you have the legal right to photograph anyone. In "private" a home, a business, you do not. That's why the Paparazzi are at the entrance. The bar is owned by a private person and open to the public. It is not a public space, like a sidewalk or a park. I'd fight and sue like a mo'fo on this one. Especially if it was at my bar. They just killed your business for a decade! Set 'em straight.

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 10:10 am   Permalink

When the ban for smoking came down in NYC a few years ago it was neither here nor there for me being a non-smoker. Everybody thought it was going to kill, or at least hurt bar business. A few years later I can tell you that I think it's a great idea, and I'm not usually for these so-called 'quality of life' laws. Bar and club business in this town is still booming, in fact they can't build them fast enough in the Meat Packing District and the East Village. And now I can go out, hang out at a bar or see a band at a club and my clothes don't smell like smoke at the end of the night. The only people whose business this is gonna hurt is the makers of Febreze.

As far as this arresting drunks at bars...I mean, isn't that why people go to bars in the first place? What's next? Arresting people at restaurants when they over eat? Tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the responsiblity of the bar/bartender to eject the people that get really, really drunk and obnoxious?

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 11:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-22 16:01, johnnievelour wrote:
"There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said.

Yeah, like legislating and enforcing ridiculous laws like this!

[ This Message was edited by: joefla70 2006-03-27 11:03 ]

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 12:17 pm   Permalink

I was recently arrested in Texas for going topless at a public pool.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation