FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
sam 2005

Posted: 2007-12-14 08:57 am   Permalink

Hey VanTiki,
I don't really have any work up anywhere these days, I'm transitioning out of 4 years in the film industry and into my studio. I have a web site samlongbotham.ca but i don't think that there is any clay work on it, it's mostly just my fiberglass scupltures. I'm going to rework the site in the near future. As soon as i creack my kiln open again i'll post some images, it might be after x-mas.
Nice to make contact with you, keep up the good work!

Sam

View Profile of sam 2005 Send a personal message to sam 2005  Goto the website of sam 2005     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-12-19 5:19 pm   Permalink

So I was pressing some tiles yesterday...

and I decided to stick a few together to try and make a Eggnog Worthy mug for me to sip goodies out of next week, and the "Bone Box" was born!

It turned out a bit big - I have a bunch more tiles to press tomorrow (as long as the batch above is dry enough for me to move off of the rack to make room for more) and I may try a triangle build mug as opposed to the square. I also want to try closer miter cuts to blend the skulls together more. You know. For the Eggnog. Ahh.. nothing like noodling the hours away pressing bathroom tiles! Just 30 more to go...

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Meheadhunter
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-12-19 7:09 pm   Permalink

Very Cool.....Simplicity at its best!!! Keep it up!!

View Profile of Meheadhunter Send a personal message to Meheadhunter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-21 04:42 am   Permalink

Nice skull mug box thing!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-05 6:10 pm   Permalink

Aloha everyone and happy new year!
Wanted to update everyone on the VanTiki Studio goings-on. I am beyond giddy to try a bunch of new things this year, and I am ordering a few new tools for the studio that are sure to spice up the mugs I have planned. Other changes include a bunch of new clay bodies (to be picked up on Tuesday when the clay store opens again after its long winter nap) and some planned metal work (I know, I said that last year too!). I am going to be going nuts filling orders with my bronze TikiCoins next week - but the clay will be flying again in kailua before you know it!
Can't wait to see what everyone makes this year - I have a feeling it is gonna be a good one!

A very optimistic Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-20 10:19 pm   Permalink

Aloha all!

Happy to report that the clay is once again flying in VanTiki studio! I've just finished roughing out "Cannibal Idol #1" - and I took a few WIP shots of the rough sculpt:

Keep in mind he is far from finished! I'll be detailing this fellow with an overall stone texture like my other Idol mugs. Big thanks to Paipo for planing the cannibal seed in my brain! I'll be doing 1 more of these with a more "fresh" victim in the idol's mouth

As you may have noticed - I'm playing around with a bunch of different clays on this fellow - the skull is the calico clay I've used for my past mugs, the teeth are 2 types of porcelain (i for the idol, 1 for the skull), the idol itself is a brown sculpting body that will make the white/Grey skull really pop, and the topper is the brilliant yellow porcelain I used for the idol's beady little eyes. Now - this is a bit of an experiment, and things may end up cracking to bits as the piece dries - but I have high hopes! More photos as the Idol progresses. Oh - and sorry for the poor shots above - it is 9 pm and I couldn't wait till morning to get better light for photographing this fellow!

Mahalo for Peeking!

Henrik "VanTiki"

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-21 02:36 am   Permalink

Thats awesome! Cool design!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-21 08:48 am   Permalink

Brilliant. Is the big guy a mug? Is the skull in the mouth attached? A lot of power in that piece.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-21 09:08 am   Permalink

Impressive work!

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-21 5:48 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Hewey, teaKEY, and cheekytiki!

teaKEY - yep - it is a mug. A whopper of a mug at that! The skull is not removables - but it is rather detailed and looks like it goes way back into the mouth of the idol. I did some more texturing last night and the clay is drying as I type this for a final detail pass. I was stoked to finally get a chance to use a texture stamp I made in December. I wanted to get a good rough stone texture to use for some ancient idol mugs and undersea structures - so I went and molded a rough patch of asphalt in my driveway with some silicone caulking (using a coat of dish-washing soap as a release agent). Worked out really well!

I'll post photos of the finished mug soon!

Mahalo,
Henrik "VanTiki"

VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-22 2:46 pm   Permalink

Aloha Folks -

The Cannibal Idol #1 sculpt is finished! Just like my other recent works - this bellow is big Big BIG! Without further adieu, the photos:

I'll get a shot with Mr. Bali Hai for scale when the piece dried up a bit. Gonna dry this one verrrrrrry slowly with the hopes of avoiding nasty cracks. Mahalo for peeking!

Henrik "VanTiki"

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-22 3:07 pm   Permalink

a piece like this is ground breaking for tiki as a whole for sure. Just like BenZarts last pendent is. Pretty exciting.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-22 4:27 pm   Permalink

Wow! That sucker is DEEP! I was wondering how much space you'd created behind the mouth and skull within to hold the liquid...
Thanks for the acknowledgment on the concept - it is slightly bittersweet to see the first "Skulleater" mug out there isn't of my creation (it is one of my designs that I am definitely wanting to take into ceramic) but I enjoy your stuff too much (and what you've done with the idea) for it to worry me at all. A little credit goes a long way when you've been inspired by others' work and I appreciate that.
This is a nice contrast to recent situation where one of my works was pretty much copied outright but the artist involved really made no effort to add their own twist on the design, nor to acknowledge their use of my concept (nothing whatsoever to do with tiki in this case).
Fingers crossed for the drying!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-01-22 4:37 pm   Permalink

YiiiiiiiiiKES! Now THAT is frigg'n NUTZ!!!

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-22 5:00 pm   Permalink

Looks awesome mate, love the stone texture on it. The skull has a great style to it too.

I think you should stop calling them tiki mugs and call them by their true name ceramic tiki buckets!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation