FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-04 2:07 pm   Permalink

Beautiful! Love the coloring and texturing, the crimson inside the skull is great. Those are the blue paperclay tentacles that you made earlier? Did you insert them into the clay wet, dry, or bisqued?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-04 2:54 pm   Permalink

just found this and thought it might give you a chuckle!

Great piece!
and the robot turned out killer with the glazes and that red button!
Go Van Go!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-04 3:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-04 14:54, little lost tiki wrote:
Go Van Go!

Is that "Go Van Go" or "Go Van Gogh" ?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-04 3:21 pm   Permalink

MadDog - Mahalo! The mug is mostly paper clay, with porcelain details (teeth and suckers). I make all the porcelain parts ahead of time, and let them dry out. Any extra that I have I organize in here:

Notice that I add "tread" to the root of the teeth and suckers to give the clay something to grab. When I attach them to a wet clay sculpture, I dip the root of the porcelain in water then press them into position in the wet clay. Its been working well (so far)

Ken - That is the greatest! I am always wishing I could go back in time and order stuff from the back of comic books. Of course, I'm sure the actual product would never live up to the add (Sea Monkeys, anyone?).

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-04 4:27 pm   Permalink

I hope you don't mind but I have to print off a copy of that SQUID sign for the rec room. I have a real thing for giant squid.
The ceramics inspire awe as usual.

View Profile of Tabu Send a personal message to Tabu  Email Tabu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigToe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-04 6:03 pm   Permalink

another one straight outa sight! love the sign too!

mad alohas,

t

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-04 6:28 pm   Permalink

Van, your designs are amazing - truly one-of-a-kind sculptures (that you can drink from!)

The robot is awesome...he reminds me of the "SCUD" comicbook robot. The detail you included really adds to the depth of the figures (mugs) history. It looks old and used- chipped paint, ID numbers the whole 9 yards!

Now the squid....very creative! the mug is outstanding (the detailed suckers, the skull) but that caution sign really takes the cake for me. I would love to have that on a metal backing and put it up at the beach and just watch peoples reaction to it!!!! It would be too funny! Have you thought about possibly producing a few of those signs to sell? (hint hint)

Great job!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-04 6:40 pm   Permalink

Tabu, BigToe, and Polynesiac - Mahalo, and I'm stoked you guys like the sign!

The sign idea actually came before the mug - I thought of it while looking at signs along Kailua beach park (they are constantly putting up warning signs for sewage after heavy rain - eew). I'm gonna give a high-rez version of the sign to the buyer of the mug, and I also submitted a version of it to threadless.com (I'll post a link when the voting begins).

I want to make one for my office too! I'd LOVE to print a few on a metal. I suppose silk-screening would be the way to go? Any silk screeners out there wanna collaborate on this? It would be a blast!

Mahalo-
Henrik

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-05 5:47 pm   Permalink

Hey Henrik,

Really nice work man! Your the Bomb!

Question: I know that youe are playing with cone 5 or 6 clays, but have you ever tried to repair a crack in bisque ware with the paper clay you are using then re-bisque? Just wondering if it can be done.... Right now, I bisque cone 06 clay to a hotter cone 04 then glaze fire to a "hot" cone 06, so in reality all the clays shrinkage that I use is going to taking place in the first bisque firing. Seems to me that one could add that non-shrinking paper clay to a crack in the busque and re-fire...what do you think? That paper clay seems to accept glazes well...yes? I must order some. I've never played with it.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-05 5:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-05 17:47, Babalu wrote:
H have you ever tried to repair a crack in bisque ware with the paper clay you are using then re-bisque? Just wondering if it can be done....

Good question! I'm about to attempt my first paper clay crack repair on the "Fresh Crab Legs" claw. Sadly, It developed a crack during the bisque fire. Supposedly you can patch with paper clay and paper clay slip. I'm going to give it a go tomorrow (or this weekend) and I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll shoot some photos of the attempt. The paper clay does hold glaze nicely - I love the stuff!

Henrik

VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-06 1:09 pm   Permalink

Okey-Dokey!

The squid warning sign has received a lot of interest, so I am in the process of getting a few made just like an official beach sign: screen printed on aluminum sheet. Nice rounded corners with holes for you to mount it to a wall or post. Now, I have 3 versions of the artwork, and I'd like to know what you all think. Please note: I've watermarked the images with the VanTiki stamp.

Version 1 is the "weathered" version similar to the sign you have already seen. It would be printed with all the pukas (scratches and holes) revealing the aluminum base:

Version 2 is the "factory fresh" version. Nice and crisp - ready for its first day on the beach:

Version 3 is the "International" version. I took out all the text, and re-framed the image into the standard international warning sign shape. This is based on real-world box jellyfish, high surf, shark, and sewage warning signs:

And finally, if you haven't already seen my post in the marketplace thread, I submitted the design to threadless.com. Please take a look and gimme your vote!

http://www.threadless.com/submission/199875/Beach_Closed

Mahalo,
Henrik "VanTiki"

Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-06 2:07 pm   Permalink

Great signs. The first two are funny but I think I prefer the last. It gets to the point and looks more official IMO just because there is no 'funny text'.
It actually looks like something you'd see at a peir.

------------------
I feel bad posting this, I never try to advertise or sell stuff... just offering because you are looking at getting it done and I think your stuff is cool.

I work in a sign shop, I could do those signs in vinyl (just like any street sign), could actually do a reflective yellow backing too. The one with wear would have to be something like grey vinyl ontop of the colors (easier than removing it from that many colors., plus our aluminum is powder coated white).

Unfortunately it would have to be through the shop though. So full retail price... If you're interested you can drop me a line and I could get a quote.
jeff@mpsigns.com
( I can do printed stickers also)

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-06 2:53 pm   Permalink

I like the 1st and 3rd version. But how about the 3rd version without the exclamation point just to see. I voted on Threadless (love that site) and saw that was someone's suggestion and was wondering how it would look without it.

Either way good idea...esp since I am a Discovery channel freak who is obsessed with giant squids

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-06 6:07 pm   Permalink

Van - I think the 3rd design would work as a t-shirt the best. Keep the exclamation point - otherwise I don't see it as being a "warning sign", just a silly street sign and the warning part of it just makes it that much more funny!

If you are going to actually produce a metal sign - I would go with the clean version, the beat up version is funny, but the clean version looks more like a real sign. In my opinion, the more "real" it looks, the funnier it is. Also, the text adds to the humor of the art and draws the "viewer" in to take a second or third look to try and figure out if it's an actual warning sign. The warning signs we have on our pier in 'pedro, ca do have some text, so I think the verbage is good!!!

please, please let me know if you make this into a sign! I know several people where I work who would probably be interested in this piece (even if you only produce a print, please let me know!!!!)

I love it!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-06 6:27 pm   Permalink

Great signs~ H!!! I'm gonna vote on the first sign with the weathered look. I love see'n tourists do double takes.... Back in the day I had a buddy do SnowSnake signs that were weathered and watchin' tourist skiers check these signs out was a trip... Great stuff!

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation