FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-19 07:27 am   Permalink

Still drooling over the skull jug. WOW!!

Amazing stuff as always.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-19 1:04 pm   Permalink

Mad Dog - that is exactly the stuff I'm gonna try! I don't have an HP printer (mine is a Brother laser printer, and I've read the toner does not contain enough iron oxide), so I'm going to have it printed at my local ceramics shop. Fingers are crossed!

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-19 3:29 pm   Permalink

Great Jugs. Love the edges on the skull, the curves and the start edges are awesome.

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-19 6:21 pm   Permalink

I forget that some people don't have access to office eqipment and supplies at work to pilfer!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-05 11:07 am   Permalink

Made a final Jug Mug for Oasis - this one for VanTiki Island Head Shrinking Bitters (just a dash will do!). Here is the freshly sculpted mug/jug spinning for your viewing pleasure:

https://vine.co/v/hWBDYJvWjQU

It is smaller than the last 2 jugs. Will have lashings stitched through half the mouth, and across the back of the jug (strapping the face onto the front of the jug). I'm laso making up transfer labels for this fellow as well. Can't wait to start glazing!

Mahalo for looking -
Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-05 3:41 pm   Permalink

Can't wait to see the glazed jugs, too- and seeing everything else in person soon.

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-09 06:04 am   Permalink

I'm just realizing now that there's two threads. One for mugs, and one for tiles.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattotiki

Posted: 2013-10-14 07:17 am   Permalink

Hi

Have been quickly looking through the thread at all the mugs loads of great ideas and techniques and uses of glaze and differing clays, absolutely fantastic. Ive just started making some pots 30 years since I last had a go at art college, but your pots are so good I don't know if it has made me inspired or depressed. Inspired I guess.

are most of the mugs made with paperclay as they seem so thick and sculptural. if so do you make the paperclay or buy it pre made.

View Profile of Tattotiki Send a personal message to Tattotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-14 11:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-18 11:28, VanTiki wrote:
Good grief! My last mug post was in 2012?! I have been on the computer far too long this year!

In an attempt to rectify the situation, allow me to share some of the mugs I've been making for Tiki Oasis 2013. Seeing that the the theme this year is Hulabilly, I felt that instead of Tiki Mugs, perhaps I should create a few Tiki JUGS.

We start with a few slabs rolled out to a nice thickness (note the wood strips I set on the table to keep things even when when rolling). Yes, that is a square, and yes, I am that anal when cutting an assembling the base shapes for mugs

Once I calculate the lengths of the slab needed for the diameter of the jug I want to make, I carefully cut the slab. I'm using Laguna B-Mix paper clay with grog for these jugs

I then carefully roll up the slab and voila!

OK - there are a few more steps involved with getting the basic jug forms - I just forgot to snap pictures! Here is Jug#1 roughed out, before the final detail pass (had to let it firm up a bit before detailing)

Finished Tiki Jug #1:

Finished Tiki Jug #2:

I plan on doing a third for Oasis - I'm just not decided yet on the imagery. Stone idol? Zombie? Shrunked head? So many options! Ms. VanTiki has insisted that #3 be smaller.

Mahalo for looking!
Henrik "VanTiki"

SKULLL VOTE!

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-15 12:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-14 07:17, Tattotiki wrote:
are most of the mugs made with paperclay as they seem so thick and sculptural. if so do you make the paperclay or buy it pre made.

Aloha Tattotiki!

Most of my mugs are made with a cone 5 or cone 6 sculpture clay body (Laguna buff sculpture, for example). My mugs are indeed large and thick, so I use clays that have grog or sand in them to add strength during the hand-building process. When using paperclay, I get pre-made stuff. The past few pieces were made with Laguna b-Mix paperclay with grog. I'm planning on working my way through the various laguna paperclays to see what I like best.

Can't wait to see your new clay creations!

Henrik "VanTiki"

Tattotiki

Posted: 2013-10-21 01:22 am   Permalink

Being biscuit fired this week

some small shrunken head shot glasses are the only tikiesque pieces, and some not so tiki stuff a devils head with cigar ( as everyone smokes in hell ) and a Frankenstein mug. Ill put some pics up if brave enough. and if they don't end up in pieces.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=46502&forum=18&0

Cheers
Mike T

[ This Message was edited by: Tattotiki 2013-11-22 01:57 ]

View Profile of Tattotiki Send a personal message to Tattotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-18 6:28 pm   Permalink

News flash! VanTiki finally got back to pushing clay in the studio!! Presenting the freshly sculpted Wall Hanging Mug #1 and #2. No feet or base, so you gotta hang 'em or hold 'em! The finished mugs will have some spiffy cord lashings and a loop for wall hanging.

Bigger pics can be seen at the VanTiki FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/vantiki

Or the Studio Process Tumblr:
http://vantiki.tumblr.com

Mahalo for peeking!
Henrik "VanTiki"

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-03-18 7:06 pm   Permalink

Glad to see you back playing in the mud.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-07 2:33 pm   Permalink

Aloha Folks!

I've been posting most of my progress pics to my Facebook and Tumblr pages - but I try to post here as well (when I can). Some quick shots of current mugs cooking away in the studio: Arm Of The Kracken mugs, and the Ceremonial Zombie Mug

More pics and info on my Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/vantiki

or my studio process blog (with animated GIFs!):
http://vantiki.tumblr.com

Mahalo!
Henrik "VanTiki"

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-07 2:49 pm   Permalink

hooray !! more cool stuff i will never be able to afford !! thanks for torturing me with those photos.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation