FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Fire in house...Bar RE-OPENING is Scheduled!! New pics 9/28
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Fire in house...Bar RE-OPENING is Scheduled!! New pics 9/28
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 1:47 pm   Permalink

Hi everyone,

I need suggestions, and I need em fast.

We had a fire at the house this past thursday night (3/23). Everyone is ok, and the house, although uninhabitable, is structurally sound.

Unfortunately, soot & ash are EVERYWHERE in the house. The damamge is pretty extensive.

The lounge did not get hit by any flame, but is also COVERED in the foul smelling soot. The cleaning crew has told me that there is NO WAY to clean the soot out of the bamboo (too porous) and that the bar is going to have to be gutted.

This absolutely breaks my heart.

If anyone (Bamboo Ben, Im looking in your direction....) has any ideas on how to save my lounge, please, let me know as soon as possible. I've convinced the cleanup crew to not touch that room for a few days.

Thanks!!!

Pre-Fire pics...(will post some post fire pics when I have my computer up & running)

[ This Message was edited by: Bargoyle 2006-04-01 20:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Bargoyle 2006-04-17 18:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Bargoyle 2006-08-15 06:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Bargoyle 2006-08-29 17:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Bargoyle 2006-09-28 12:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Bargoyle 2006-09-28 16:59 ]

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigkahuna627
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-27 2:01 pm   Permalink

Search for a company named chemspec, they have a cleaner for everything, even one to remove dead body odor. No Joke.

Best of luck.

Wild Bill's Tiki Hut
http://stores.ebay.com/Wild-Bills-Tiki-Hut

View Profile of bigkahuna627 Send a personal message to bigkahuna627  Email bigkahuna627 Goto the website of bigkahuna627     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aloha.taboo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 2:06 pm   Permalink

I used to work for my parents blind cleaning company, where we used an ultrasonic water-based cleaning method to clean the blinds. Quite often we did fire cleanup jobs and put all sorts of stuff in the machine. The fire restoration crews used to have us try to clean stuff before the insurance company paid for replacement.

The ultrasonic method would definitely work to get soot out of normally hard to clean places, as long as the object can fit in the tank. Look in the yellow pages under "blind cleaning - ultrasonic".

The restoration companies would also use a machine that literally destroy all the oxygen in a room in order to combat the smell.

I would look up
ServPro to see if there's a franchise in your area, I did a lot of work with them.

Good luck!

View Profile of aloha.taboo Send a personal message to aloha.taboo  Email aloha.taboo Goto the website of aloha.taboo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 2:14 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the suggestion!

Found em at chemspecworld.com

All they seem to have are a degreaser and the chemical sponges that the cleaning crew are using on the drywalls & ceiling. Unfortunately, these wont work on bamboo(according to the cleaning crew...I might have to try it on my own)

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 2:17 pm   Permalink

Bargoyle, I have an ultrasonic cleaner for clock repair. We can put some smaller stuff in it.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 2:19 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the input Aloha.taboo.

We're working with ServiceMaster, and they've got one of those O-Zone machines (or whatever it is) upstairs right now.

I guess there's no way of getting this stuff clean with out at least taking it all down.

Still, taking it down is better than detroying it all.

I'll try the blind cleaners too. The problem I see there may be one of size. Most of the bamboo on the ceiling is 12 foot long. Do the blind washers come that big? ALthought the blind washers might be perfect for the Lauhala on the walls!

Thanks again!

Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 2:22 pm   Permalink

Thanks Pappy.

I'll def take you up on that. Pretty much every mug, carving, print, glass & swizzle stick needs to be cleaned or destroyed.

I'm really hoping for cleaned.

Breaks my heart man...I've already built this room twice. I just dont know if I have a third one in me!

Gotta try to save it intact

Blowfish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 2:22 pm   Permalink

Very sorry to hear about this...

I have salvaged important documents by takin gthem to a company focused on 'preservation' of paper documents... often used for art or related things. I would recommend taking things like the SHAG print of yours to have it gone over with a company that can ensure it has not been damaged... I'd hate to lose that, let alone everything else.

Best of luck in your recovery.

View Profile of Blowfish Send a personal message to Blowfish  Email Blowfish Goto the website of Blowfish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 2:26 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the advice blowfish...there are actually about 10 shag prints that need to be gone over. The ones in the tiki bar got the brunt of the soot, but even the ones upstairs took a good blast. (Not to mention 2 that still in delivery tubes and not framed yet!!)

For the amount that the framing cost (museum preservation quality, uv glass, etc etc) I'm hoping that they're ok. Still, I'll have em checked out on the insurance company's dime. Thanks again for the tip!

The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 2:34 pm   Permalink

My heart goes out to you! I wish I had advice to give.

I've met you, you will rebuild!

Keep the faith.

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 7:33 pm   Permalink

My sympathies and best wishes. What I would give for some of the things I lost in a house fire in my past.

In my (limited) experience I think your hardest battle is going to be between the insurance and cleaning company. What i recommend is that you talk to the cleaning/removal company and find out what they want to 'total' and see if you can have it left in place. That way you can at least have it for a future go at a proper cleaning. The company that the insurance is going to send in is there simply to clean what they can easily and ditch the rest.

As to the smell that is going to be in everything.... That one is tough. Some things, like bamboo and other pourus objects, you may just have to mask the smell as best as you can. Sealing them again (and again, and again) will help but never really stop it. Bamboo Ben can tell you more and better on the wood bits. As to any fabrics, save yourself the greif and get rid of them. They never quite come back to color and always have the soot smell. Especially bar stools and chair covers.

The one thing I can offer in the way of ideas is kind of old fashioned and that is to lay things out in the sun. Clean what you can with some good soap and water, or whatever is appropriate for the material you are cleaning, and then lay the item out in the sun for a day to dry. The sun will help dry them and do a bit of bleaching on the item if it is discolored.

Best of luck and keep us posted. If there is anything Andy and I can do to help, let us know.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 8:03 pm   Permalink

I'm no expert in fire cleanup so not much to add there. If you're looking at having a little cleaning party let me know and I'll try to make arrangements. Its good to hear that its' not completely destroyed.

Here are some pics of the coolest bar in CT:

I wish you the best of luck with everything and hope to see the bar rise from the ashes! And if you need some mugs or bamboo scrubbed let me know. Mahalo!

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-28 12:53 am   Permalink

Oh SHIT! I am so sorry for your loss!!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-03-28 00:54 ]

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-28 02:19 am   Permalink

Be prepared to have EVERYTHING in your house cleaned. There are traces of soot everywhere that you can't see. You will probably need to have the whole inside of your house repainted, even in the un-damaged rooms.

Can you still live in your house while it's being repaired?

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-28 03:06 am   Permalink

Man that sucks. A mate of mine had a fire recently - the smoke smell gets in everything. Specially stuf like plastic, because it soaks in the odours. I dont like your chances for saving the bamboo as I think it might have absorbed the smell too. Good luck though!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation