FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Fire in house...Bar RE-OPENING is Scheduled!! New pics 9/28
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Fire in house...Bar RE-OPENING is Scheduled!! New pics 9/28
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-03 6:27 pm   Permalink

Please remember to clean all that stuff yourself. I went through a home fire many years ago. Any place that cleans "specializing in soot removal" will leave a really funky smell on your things. They don't seem to get the smoke smell out. They just mask it with some bizarre chemical. Good luck to you. Such a pain.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-12 4:44 pm   Permalink

Tough luck BArgoyle. Sorry I missed this thread, I'm kind of deaf and couldn't hear everyone weeping. No one really knows what to say in these kind of times. Just roll up your sleeves and crack the whip to whoever is helping. They make some sponges that are just for removing soot. It is important to use those BEFORE you use water. Home Depot has them and I apologize for not knowing what they are named, but they work really well.
Good luck and I'l talk to the tiki gods tonight to see if they can throw a bit of extra mana your way.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-17 6:46 pm   Permalink

Aloha TC Ohana, and thanks once again for everyone's well wishes. Its going on 4 weeks out of the house, and the tear out is well underway.

Figured I post some more pics if anyone is interested (morbid curiousity?)

I know, I know, its really depressing, but its kind of theraputic for me to post these de-construction steps. Makes me look forward to posting pics of the re-building in the near future!

Tore the bamboo off the walls (plenty of soot under there...and even more behind the weave!

Closeup of the soot on the drywall (it actually got BEHIND everything and onto the walls!)

More of those "soot-webs" got in behind the bamboo...

Tons of soot in the rafters...

and here's where most of the bar is now.....

Its like the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.....

Will post more as we make progress....Mahalo once again to all.

As always, more pics at
http://bargoyle.yafro.com/

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-18 12:31 am   Permalink

Wowee zowee! I guess that just confirms how extensive the smoke damage was... I hope it helps you feel better about having to rip it all out. You'll make it better the second time!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-18 05:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-17 18:46, Bargoyle wrote:
Its like the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.....

Well, it's good to know you've got "top men" working on the problem.

Best wishes for a quick rebuild.

JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-18 09:08 am   Permalink

Man, that is a bummer...but not an unconquerable one. It was my worst fear as a homeowner. I feel a bigger, better rebirth coming on. Hope it smoothes out. Aloha!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 9:05 pm   Permalink

Tear out is done. All thats left is the drywall, and I think they tore that out today. I'll stop by the house tmrw & see. Some more pics....

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 02:56 am   Permalink

Is that mural painted on the foundation or does it hafta die?

When the house is all new and shiny and the bar is reborn, you'll see the silver lining in it. I'm not saying it was a good thing just that something good will come out of it.

I've made the offer before but let me know if you need a hand.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-14 9:37 pm   Permalink

Aloha Bargoyle...

Just wondering how the renovation was progressing! Coming down the home stretch here in Mission Beach. Extensive damage near fire origin area meant alot more work than we'd anticipated. Basically everything has taken a solid three times longer than projected. Hope all is well with your fresh new home bar.

Will post before and after pix soon.

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-16 08:35 am   Permalink

Hey Hodad,

Glad everything is comming together for ya! Its a really slow process isn't it??

We're in the house...still just upstairs. The basement (rec room, bar etc) are slowly comming along. New drywall is finally up & they're staring to hang a new drop ceiling. Still needs a good coat of paint & carpeting. Plus the plumber & electrician still arent done! Its prob. still a few weeks to a month away from where I can even begin my part of the build out (bamboo drop ceiling, etc).

Havent even bought materials yet.

Looks like no Luau this year (sorry NE Ohana), and Lono only knows when the bar will back.

Figure when I start the re-build I'll move this thread over to Creating Tiki.

Once again, thanks to all for their love & support. We appreciate it all. And to those who've offered to help swing a hammer, the time is comming....hopefully soon.

Thanks again. Aloha.

Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-15 06:38 am   Permalink

Havent updated in awhile, so here's the progress up until last night....

First, here's a care package dogbytes sent to Guiness as a thank you for saving our lives. (Thanks dogbytes, she loved it!)

Here's what the basement looked like about two months ago...

The Bar...

Fast forward a month , and we have progress!!!!!

And, last night, started the first step. Painted lower half of walls where the bamboo goes...

Got a little carried away with the painting

Not sure if it should stay the Lono/Lava Lounge (II). I'm thinking under the circumstances, it should be named for Pele. Or if anyone out there has suggestions, I'm open to ideas....

Got a nice 2 tub bar sink in (upgrade #1), and yes, you saw correctly, there is still NO carpet!!!

Hopefully that changes by wed.

More to come.

Aloha.

[ This Message was edited by: bargoyle 2006-08-15 11:50 ]

pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-16 03:57 am   Permalink

Woo hoo! That's alot of progress. Glad to see all the new walls and stuff. It must be nice to finally go downstairs again and not see DEstruction.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 5:05 pm   Permalink

More Progress!!!!

BIG Mahaloz to Pappy the Sailor & Johnman!!! They came down to CT and gave me a hand this past weekend.

The giant leap the bar has taken would not be possible without them.

Thanks alot guys...I'm in your debt.

So, we started out by drilling 1" holes in the wall to accommodate the bamboo poles for the ceiling... (awesome drill work courtesy of johnman)

After getting all the holes drilled, we put the lauhala mats on the wall. This step would have been nearly impossible without help!!

Also, as a note, although buying the mat in a 50' roll was cheaper, it is MUCH harder to work with (just did 8 footers last time) and most of it is NOT 4' wide...this could pose a problem with the lower wall....we'll see.

First corner...off & running!!

First cut as right wall is completed

the final piece put in place!!

and now, time for the ceiling!! pole #1...

and here is the ceiling frame completed!!

Thats all for now....

next step is shelving, then lower wall & trim.

The official bar re-opening party is on Oct 21st, so not much time to lallygag.

Once again, thanks to everyone for their support & well wishes.

Aloha!!

[ This Message was edited by: Bargoyle 2006-08-29 17:20 ]

Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 5:16 pm   Permalink

looking great, love the ceiling! drunkenmunky wants to do something similar to that in the huki lounge

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 5:21 pm   Permalink

Looking Great!

I'm seriously considering taking a night off from work to attend!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation