[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving purple heart
purple heart
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-29 11:38 pm   Permalink

man, this wood is hard. yes, he bit me.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 04:57 am   Permalink

Purple heart is like steel. Ask Benz about it...i dont think he will ever carve it again. It sure is pretty wood though. Hope the bite heals quickly.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 06:28 am   Permalink

Purple heart is not a good hand-carving wood. I did some stuff (pen and pencil set and a bottlestop) on the lathe with it and it turned out beautiful. The color is so rich and it finishes like glass. Good Luck.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 08:17 am   Permalink

thanks, now i'm not sure what to do with the rest that i have.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 08:21 am   Permalink

pdrake, If you have a recipricating chisel on a flexshaft that would work real well. The Fordoms can tear into that and do all the work for you. Dont give up on it.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-31 01:19 am   Permalink

My dad got injured, then got a purple heart, u got purple heart, then get injured... hope you heal fast, I like seeing your work.

ST

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-31 08:42 am   Permalink

thanks alot sneaky.

i bought a flexshaft and some chisels, i'll start back when i get it.

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-31 09:49 am   Permalink

New Toys - OOOOoooo. Try the rotary bits on the PH, they will have better effect than the power chisels on such a small piece of hard wood. I would suggest practicing with the chisels on a softer wood (cherry is perfect) before dedicating your self to more Bandaids. Power tools - gooood.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-06 7:01 pm   Permalink

he's slowly coming out. even with the flexcut chisels it's like garving steel.

crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-06 7:20 pm   Permalink

look for a purple heart pare of Tiki shoes i did in '96 in this next issue of Tiki Magazine...i think they will be in there... hard

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-06 7:23 pm   Permalink

did you just finish them? i think that's how long this piece will take.

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-07 12:46 am   Permalink

Wow, the chisel marks and the sheen on that thing look like it's rock your carving. U r probably doing it right taking your time and not getting frustrated or hurt, nice progress.

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-07 06:20 am   Permalink

Try using a rotaty bit instead of the chisels. You may find that it works faster and you will be less likely to chop off a digit. If you think its shiny now wait till you put a finish on it.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation