FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Marketplace Solar Tiki Torch Lights @ Home Despot
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Solar Tiki Torch Lights @ Home Despot
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 09:00 am   Permalink

Just a little note about someting I discovered for sale at Home Despot. Hampden Bay, makers of all kinds of fine and durable lighting for the home are now producing Solar Tiki torch garden lights. These items are kind of unique in that they come with faux bamboo poles that give you the option of placing them low to the ground or, if you prefer, they can stand as tall as your standard backyard Tiki Torch. But that's not all! The bulb inside flickers unlike other solar garden lighting. The faux finish is painted on resin and metal and is reasonably pleasing to look at. Moreover, these puppies are sturdy enough to survive extreme outdoor conditions. I found mine in Denver for @15.00 a pop.

Perhaps the best thing about these lights is that they are plant friendly and you wont have to pour gallons of fuel into them over the summer. As these lights are in no way a great substitute for the real thing, they look pretty cool around the parimiter of your yard or Tiki Patio.

Check it out!

Happy Shopping.

T.F.

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 09:48 am   Permalink

Is this it? I wasn't able to find it on the Home Depot site. Wonder how long the NiMH batteries last and how much they cost to replace. You can't really see a flame through the frosted glass, but the flickering effect might be cool.

http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners-Site/default/ViewProductDetail-SellPage?OfferID=20476&SC=xnet8604

Our dramatic Solar Tiki Torch has the look of real Tiki torches yet it's completely safe around children and pets. Powered by an amber LED that flickers realistically just like a flame inside a faceted frosted flame protector.

Runs on 2 replaceable NiMH batteries (included), which are charged by a monocrystaline panel on top.
Turn on and off yourself with switch or leave on and let light run to charge itself.
Average expected run time on fully charged light is 6 to 8 hours.
* Sold individually
* 27-1/2" H overall x 4-1/2" diameter
* Made of natural bamboo-colored plastic with frosted glass

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 10:04 am   Permalink

If anyone purchases these, please let us know what you think -- most houses I've seen with installed solar lights along the walkways seem to be quite dim as far as light coverage. Of course, this being a tiki torch maybe that'd be the point. Hmmm...

Anyway, let us know what you think!

thanks,
Rupe

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aloha.taboo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 10:30 am   Permalink

Kind of off the current subject, but still on the subject of lighting... The theatrical lighting company that I work for has been selling a lot of LED candles from LEDtronics. They're very affordable and really do look good, even up close.

View Profile of aloha.taboo Send a personal message to aloha.taboo  Email aloha.taboo Goto the website of aloha.taboo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 10:31 am   Permalink

I purchased them and they really don't throw off a ton of light but I don't think that that is the point. They work very well and create ambiance in places I would never put a flame torch. BTW I found out that the batteries are quite common and can be purchased through Home Despot should you eventually need to replace them.

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 10:36 am   Permalink

The torches on the link are different than the Hampden Bay ones but they are cool too.

TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 4:59 pm   Permalink

i got about 10 of them last year. they work great,keep'm in the sun all day and they burn ,and flicker most of the night. they are made of resin so you have to be careful not to let them fall over they break very easy. i now have one that is a table top lantern. TD

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Exoticat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 5:50 pm   Permalink

I was just researching this topic last night! there are a few models available out there so make sure you check them all out (and prices can really vary). I need some for the side of the house along a pathway. More concerned with ambiance than tons of light. I'm also looking into solar stepping stones...don't suppose anyone has ever seen TIKI solar stepping stones? You'd probably have to design your own, and I don't need anymore projects.

I'm thinking about giving these a try (because they flicker), but couldn't find them locally:

If anyone has seen those in the Seattle area, please let me know!

p.s. Thanks Tiki Fink, i will be in a Home Depot on monday and check out what they have

[ This Message was edited by: Exoticat 2006-03-30 17:52 ]

View Profile of Exoticat Send a personal message to Exoticat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-31 09:57 am   Permalink

Aloha

Given the choice of the two styles of solar torch I have to difer to the Hampton bay torch because it does not have the Robo-dome look on top. Instead, the top of the Hampton bay torch is faux rope looking and is from a short distance is more convincing as a real flame under glass ( for what it's worth ). Since I haven't seen the other types of solar torches up close, I will reiterate the virtues of the adjustable pole length and more importantly, the price. At $15.00 a shot your you could build a freakin' Tiki Torch runway in anticipation of Wrongway Corrigan's next arrival.

Over and out..

T.F.

Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-31 10:40 am   Permalink

COSTCO is offering an 8 light set for $40 off in their most recent coupon book mailer.

They are malibu brand lights with a flickering bulb and solar panel. They are built to look like a tiki torch with wicker basket and bamboo pole (about 5 feet tall)

$99 for 8 solar powered flicker tiki lamps is really good.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-31 11:37 am   Permalink

This is a nice one too: http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/productlink.d2w/report?superitem=36844&ref=froogle

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Exoticat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-31 9:31 pm   Permalink

This is the area I'm developing which will one day be the Hutikihi Grotto. As you can see there's this GIANT obstacle in the path walkway. Daily* I hack away at this tree stump with an ax since I have no chainsaw. I'm about halfways towards my goal.

Did someone say Tiki Torch Runway?

This is the view from the other direction and quite possibly the worst artist's conception ever created. Yet, I share. It'll be fun to see how it turns out down the road anyways.

*except when it rains

View Profile of Exoticat Send a personal message to Exoticat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Exoticat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-31 9:54 pm   Permalink

Costco Malibu tiki torches:

tikilee
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-04-03 08:24 am   Permalink

I got a few of these last year from home depot and just picked up a few more last week. I think they're great and pretty sturdy. I like that you can make them as tall or as short as you want them too. (The faux bamboo twists together in three sections) This year I plan on getting a few of those torch mounting brackets and put them around my deck in the back yard this summer. They are pretty cool for everyday use, and from a distance they look real, at least thats what the neighbors thought.

View Profile of tikilee Send a personal message to tikilee  Email tikilee Goto the website of tikilee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-03 09:57 am   Permalink

EXOTICAT, what you need is a poter cable sawsall,orbital setting ,with a blade called the 'UGLY BLADE'. Give that a try ,a little at a time. TD

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation