FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Marketplace Solar Tiki Torch Lights @ Home Despot
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Solar Tiki Torch Lights @ Home Despot
Tiki Flange
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 12:46 pm   Permalink

Has anyone rigged these up to be used inside?

I was thinking about using these in my basement bar, and powering then via some alternate method.

View Profile of Tiki Flange Send a personal message to Tiki Flange  Email Tiki Flange     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Riptide
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 12:52 pm   Permalink

At the Costco by me (Cypress, CA), they currently have an 8-pack of them for $59. The come with rechargeable AA batteries in them, but you could also just use regular AA batteries as well. They also have an on/off switch on them so you could choose to turn them on as needed, rather than from dusk/dawn.

I bought two 8-packs. They are awesome.

View Profile of Riptide Send a personal message to Riptide  Email Riptide     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-31 04:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-26 22:03, tikiriffic wrote:
Hi all, I bought some of these from Home Depot, and I found the flicker to be very artificial and like a LED red bike light except yellow. The flicker was more of a strobe and I took them back. I have some little LED tea lights that have a very natural flicker and I was hoping these HD Malibu torch lights would be like that. Has anyone else found these Malibu torches very artificial, because everybody on here seems to like them except me?

Naw the ones you got must have sucked, I have 3 and they're GREAT!

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Den
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-06 6:33 pm   Permalink

I have a few too, I think they work great nice ambience!

View Profile of Tiki Den Send a personal message to Tiki Den      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-18 10:09 am   Permalink

My local (Glendale) Costco doesn't have them. Anyone seen them recently at any other S.Cal Costcos?

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Flange
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-18 11:26 am   Permalink

I have two different kinds. I bought a bunch of Maulibu branded ones from Amazon. They look OK, and they work ok, although I found the flicvker to be to "mechanical" in nature.

I also bought a set of the ones from Costco (don't remember the brand). Externally, they didn't look as good as the Malibus, but it looked like they came from the same plastic molds. With a little additonal weathering (like maybe an light wash of black and brown paint) they'll look a lot better. The flicker is a lot better in these and much more "natural flame" looking than the Malibus, IMHO.

View Profile of Tiki Flange Send a personal message to Tiki Flange  Email Tiki Flange     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-24 7:21 pm   Permalink

I've noticed that some of them specify the number of LEDs inside. I think the Malibu ones say 2. I just got back from Costco (northridge, ca) where they still have some (westinghouse brand) for about 60 bucks for 8. They say 4 LEDs. I'm guessing the more flickering LEDs, the better the effect. (I'll report later after the sun goes down). The Malibu ones seem to have the best "bamboo" look though. The plastic on these Westinghouse ones is too light a color. They will need a little modification. I saw a couple on Tiki Al's jeep that he had worked his voodoo on and they looked fantasticly real. Perhaps he will share his secrets?

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiriffic
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-24 7:42 pm   Permalink

Hey Spy-Tiki, I would appreciate that! I've been thinking about getting some of the Westinghouse brand ones online, but don't want to shell out the clams just in case they look crappy. Please do let us know what you think!

View Profile of tikiriffic Send a personal message to tikiriffic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_God
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-24 7:47 pm   Permalink

I bought a set of the Westinghouse tiki torches and they rock for looking like real flame! I agree they do not look as nice as the Malibu set, but I have had several people ask me about the candle inside of them

My wife even told me I should buy another set! (hard to believe with all the tiki stuff I buy)

View Profile of Tiki_God Send a personal message to Tiki_God      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 12:41 am   Permalink

O.K. I've tested them and I think they look pretty good. Inside there are four LEDs. One is constantly lit and the other three flicker together. It looks pretty good! All the gizmos are housed in the top part with the solar cell so if you wanted to, it wouldn't be hard to take that part and the translucent tube and set it into a real bamboo torch. I think I'll go the touch up paint route for now though. Maybe use real bamboo poles as well. Since they'll be used at night it probably doesn't make much difference, but I want a couple for inside also. They're actually bigger than I thought. About the size of the real thing.

spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-25 1:14 pm   Permalink

Here are a few pics for comparison:

Westinghouse

Malibu

Strathwood

tikiriffic
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-25 3:28 pm   Permalink

Spytiki, do the Westinghouse lights have a realistic flame look to them?

That is my knock on the Malibu lights, that they look too mechanical and not real. I'm hoping the Westinghouse ones look more like real torches when on.

View Profile of tikiriffic Send a personal message to tikiriffic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-26 08:34 am   Permalink

I guess I'd say they look good enough. You'll notice the regularity of the flicker if you sit and study them for a while, but hopefully one has better things to do. I was surprised at how bfight they were. Cosmetically, I think the Malibus are the best and the ones on Tiki Al's jeep looked great. I liked their flame too so maybe I'm easier to please.

I plan on sticking mine around the far reaches of the yard and having a couple of real ones nearer the action. Plus a couple at the inside bar. Those I'll probably stick in a real bamboo torch.

The 8 for 60 bucks deal is pretty good if you can find a costco still doing it. I got the idea they were clearing them out. Some costcos had the westinghouse and some had the malibu, but I couldn't find any malibu when I was looking.

Perhaps the next generation of solar torches will have a more sophisticated "flicker system".

tikiriffic
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-26 3:30 pm   Permalink

Thanks Spy-Tiki! I appreciate the extra info. I guess the reason I wonder about them looking "real" or "not real" is because I have some LED tea lights that flicker with an almost random, totally realistic, candlelight effect. You would almost never know, even if you stare at them for a bit, that it is not a candle. I'm really hoping to find some Tiki Torches that have a more natural, realistic flicker. The Malibu ones I have are alright, but I know they could be better.

I bet you could hack your lights if you knew something about electronics, but I don't so, I'll just make due I guess. Maybe there is a market for a better, more organic, tiki torch.

Kind of like there is a SERIOUS market and need for someone that could produce a cheap lighted glass and netting or even glass-like fishing float lamp/light to hang in your tiki bar. It boggles me a bit that there is not a one Tiki Central member who produces affordable Fishing Float lights, and can ship them to your door. I realize there is a couple members that make them as expensive custom one-offs, but how many are for sale and are able to ship them safely? I'm ranting for nothing I guess, but you'd think one of the most desirable tiki bar accessories EVER would be available from somebody here on Tiki Central. Maybe Tiki Farm should produce an economical version that they could have made in China at one of their mug factories. I would definitely be up for that.

spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-26 7:58 pm   Permalink

My parents got a couple of those for christmas last year and I remember thinking they were completely convincing. I'll have to have a look at them when I'm up there in a couple of months. You're right, there is a randomness about the flicker of the candles that the torches don't have. I remember that they were actually in a wax candle with thicker walls which diffused the light better. It's probably just a matter of some little electronic circuit gizmo in line with the LEDs. Someone will figure it out. Wish I'd payed mor attention in science class.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation