FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Marketplace Solar Tiki Torch Lights @ Home Despot
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Solar Tiki Torch Lights @ Home Despot
lesterf

Posted: 2008-05-12 11:03 am   Permalink

Sorry to resurrect an old post. I hope some of the tiki torches are still going strong!
I'm thinking about buying a 4-pack of Malibu Solar Tiki torches at Lowes for my backyard, and had a few questions about them:
1. Has anyone placed the torches in a partial shade, or shady area? If yes, do they still charge sufficiently to last a few hours (or at all?).
2. Since this post is almost a year old, how have the torches held up over time?

thanks!

View Profile of lesterf Send a personal message to lesterf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-12 4:36 pm   Permalink

I still have the Westinghouse torches going strong. If they get a strong dose of sun they will still be flickering dimly when I get up the next morning. If they spend the day in grey gloom or in the shade they will flicker till around midnight or so, but if it's strong shade they will come on an hour or so earlier which cuts down on the night time action. Of course they have an on/off switch so you can save them till you want them.

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIWAGON
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-14 06:37 am   Permalink

We got a set on ebay last year and live in england(cold and wet,with very little sun!)they need plenty of light to stay flickering and still work fine ,We just got ours out of winter storage a few days ago.definately worth the money.In fact we will be out for the hukilau does anybody know if any stores in the fort lauderdale area might have some so we can get some more?

View Profile of TIKIWAGON Send a personal message to TIKIWAGON  Email TIKIWAGON Goto the website of TIKIWAGON     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lesterf

Posted: 2008-05-16 09:06 am   Permalink

Thanks for the replies.
I just bought 8 of the Westinghouse tiki torches on Ebay. I'm hoping the light color of the plastic will be ok, since my garden is more Japanese than Polynesian.
I looked at the Malibu torches at Lowes, and they look really nice; seems the top woven part is really bamboo. However, I didn't care for the flickering. It seems to be achieved with only two LEDs.
spy-tiki, did you ever mod them with paint? If yes, do you have any pictures of what they look like?

View Profile of lesterf Send a personal message to lesterf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Minerva
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-21 11:39 am   Permalink

Most of mine are still going. We had a few get damaged in a wind storm, though. The plastic 'base' that goes into the ground snapped. Not sure what to use for supports now so we can get them back up and running. Any ideas?

They do need a lot of light. The couple that were in shade would barely be running an hour or so at night; the ones in sun will go most of a summer night (8+ hours).

View Profile of Minerva Send a personal message to Minerva  Goto the website of Minerva     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-21 8:42 pm   Permalink

Minerva, I have lost the bottoms as well. I have a lot of flower pots around the garden that are large enough for me to stick these torches in them, the soil in the pot holds these torches pretty well and they stay, I usually put them in the pots on an angle, they look pretty nice at night. I also have a few that I just stuck in some of the bushes growing around and they just stay cause they are not too heavy.

[ This Message was edited by: hiltiki 2008-05-21 20:45 ]

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Minerva
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-25 02:16 am   Permalink

Great idea, hiltiki. Thank you!

View Profile of Minerva Send a personal message to Minerva  Goto the website of Minerva     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-28 08:42 am   Permalink

I've been lurking on these forums a few days, but I ran out to Lowe's yesterday and picked up a 4 pack and single of the Malibu version after reading about them here (thanks to all for the tip!) They are on sale for 44.00 for the 4 pack (singles aren't on sale and run 14.88). Every purchase over the Memorial Day weekend at Lowe's had a 10.00 off coupon (for a purchase of 50.00 or more) at the bottom of the receipt, so I used that to bag them for even less. I had originally intended to mount them such that the "head" is all that is exposed out of the ground, IE like a replacement for a low voltage tier light. But they are kind of big for that, so I used the extension poles to place them at various heights around the pool. The little plastic spike that comes with them was definitely not enough to anchor them in the clay soil we have, so I took the tip off the bottom rod extension and used a rubber mallet to drive the lowest extension about 12" into the ground.

I'm impressed with the quality of these and they do have a very convincing "flickering" to them, looks a lot like a candle. They don't put out much light as others have said, but they're great for some added ambiance.

View Profile of TikiTres Send a personal message to TikiTres  Email TikiTres     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
UtopianDreem
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-05-28 7:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-21 11:39, Minerva wrote:
Most of mine are still going. We had a few get damaged in a wind storm, though. The plastic 'base' that goes into the ground snapped. Not sure what to use for supports now so we can get them back up and running. Any ideas?

They do need a lot of light. The couple that were in shade would barely be running an hour or so at night; the ones in sun will go most of a summer night (8+ hours).

If you know who the manufacturer is, you can often contact them for replacements. Check your warranty paperwork if you still have it.

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-01 07:54 am   Permalink

Looking back to my original post will clairify this post. I am just happy to report that I am going on season three with my solar torches and they are going strong. I left them outside all winter for two years and only last winter was I forward thinking enough to take them inside. They are suprisingly durable. Maybe a bit tacky but fun all the same.

T.F.

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-01 08:02 am   Permalink

I too removed the last two segments of tube and stuck them in the ground around the perimeter.....they are still holding up and function much better as short walkway lighting than tall torch lighting....

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-06-01 08:02 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-14 2:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-16 09:06, lesterf wrote:
spy-tiki, did you ever mod them with paint? If yes, do you have any pictures of what they look like?

Aloha lesterf,

Yes I am doing them right now. I've finished the tops, but not the poles. Here's the picture on the Westinghouse box and a couple of my torches below..

I used brown spray paint from OSH and then wiped with a rag soaked in a little thinner. The pole is unpainted for comparison. It ain't art, but I think it's an improvement.

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 11:06 pm   Permalink

I just bought some solar tiki torches from OSH, for $8.95 each. The base of the torches are made of real bamboo and sharp at the very end so you can just dig them in the ground. They are advertised at this price until the 15th of August. I haven't tried them out yet, I will keep you posted if they are not working out.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Leonchen

Posted: 2009-10-25 07:10 am   Permalink

You could find a nice solar tiki torch light on Greenbaba.com, look at here: http://www.greenbaba.com/Solar-Garden-Light/F008-Solar-Tiki-Torch-Light.html

View Profile of Leonchen Send a personal message to Leonchen  Goto the website of Leonchen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-25 09:27 am   Permalink

Those are a good price, LeoChen. I like the design and use of real bamboo, too.

[ This Message was edited by: Haole'akamai 2009-10-25 09:28 ]

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation