FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Clifton's Brookdale, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Clifton's Brookdale, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-19 07:52 am   Permalink

The LA Times business section has an article today about Clifton's closing on September 26 for a remodel. Here is a piece of the story:

Although the cafeteria will be closed Sept. 26, Meieran plans to open an artisanal bakery in the front of the building shortly. Holden Burkons, the former pastry sous chef at Craft restaurant in Century City, will bake bread, pies and other desserts for retail and wholesale customers.

After the cafeteria reopens, Meieran plans to launch niche night-life businesses inside the building. Among his plans are a small, tiki-themed bar in the basement and a third-floor speakeasy reached via a hidden entrance on the main floor.

Sounds like the Tiki bar is going to be in the basement and not the third floor.

http://www.latimes.com/search/dispatcher.front?Query=clifton%27s&target=adv_article

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-19 10:32 am   Permalink

They have it all backwards. Shouldn't the speakeasy be in the basement ??

Anyway it doesn't look like they'll have a lot of space for the "Tiki bar". So much for the grand homage to Clifton's Pacific Seas I think.

Oh well, at least I hope the remodel is faithful to the historic 1930's decor.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-05 7:39 pm   Permalink

So who's doing the Tiki Bar??

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2011-10-05 7:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-10-05 19:39, RevBambooBen wrote:

You? Okay, spill the beans...

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-05 7:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-10-05 19:47, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-10-05 19:39, RevBambooBen wrote:

You? Okay, spill the beans...

No beans for me Haka.

I wish I was doing it.

If anyone here knows them

put in a good word for me

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-08 3:31 pm   Permalink

Just read this little article. Not really any new info, but the pic of the newly revealed original exterior is there. http://laist.com/2012/02/08/history_revealed_cliftons_cafeteria.php

[ This Message was edited by: TNT 2012-02-08 15:38 ]

View Profile of TNT Send a personal message to TNT  Email TNT Goto the website of TNT     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-08 3:43 pm   Permalink

Well, it's not exactly the "Pacific Seas"... But it's still cool, I am looking forward to a new "woodsy" exterior.

Here is some more info, including re the Pre-Tiki Lounge:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cliftons-downtown-la-andrew-meieran-287108?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogdowntown-combined+%28blogdowntown%3A+Life+in+Downtown+Los+Angeles+%28Stories+Headlines%29%29

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-08 4:24 pm   Permalink

It looks like Andrew Meieran "gets it".

I reached out to the events manager for Edison/Clifton's. I'm trying to get us all in there early when the space is completed. Maybe a soft launch.

It's still at least a year away.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-08 8:06 pm   Permalink

Meieran expects to complete the roughly 3,000-square-foot tiki space in about a year, if all goes as planned. The concept is not to be kitschy, he adds. Its the real Twenties and Thirties version of tiki, the beautiful golden era of travel, going back to the Cocoanut Grove. Its taking it to the next level, where its this romanticized vision.
--------------------------------
Lot's of Rattan and Birdcages!!

Should be good!!!

Trad'r Sam-ish ???

p.s. this is way pre-tiki design so I'm guessing they are only using the word tiki to get hits?

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-09 07:28 am   Permalink

Another story on Cliftons on the cover of today's LA Times local section.

http://www.latimes.com/search/dispatcher.front?Query=clifton%27s&target=adv_article

Some nice photos in the article.

The "Treetops" Tiki bar?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-09 08:34 am   Permalink

p.s. maybe they'll use Moby's stuff...

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-09 08:44 am   Permalink

Yeah well, I don't think Meieran is "in the zone" of understanding the history and evolution of Polynesian pop the way we are here. All this "..not kitschy, but romanticized, lifting it to the next level..." is a jumble of flawed logic that shows that either he or the journalist are just throwing buzzwords out there. I think he is just reacting to the fact that nowadays everything tropical gets lumped together as "Tiki". That's a healthy reaction, I am not happy about that either. Let's hope "Treetops" is not the actual name, but just the concept.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-09 09:24 am   Permalink

Try this link for the article on the original facade from Feb 2012 -- and be sure to check out the sidebar for various photos!
http://tinyurl.com/cliftonsremodel

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-02-19 08:32 am   Permalink

They brought stuffed bison into the remodeled location. They also found some neon that was covered up and still on and a grotto under a staircase.
Their website is updated occasionally with the renovations. It's still supposed to reopen this year.
"The Pacific Seas, a Polynesian themed Tiki bar will open in honor of the original Clifton's Pacific Seas that originally stood on Olive Street."

http://www.cliftonscafeteria.com

[ This Message was edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-02-19 08:34 ]

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-20 12:41 pm   Permalink

Big price tag to match big dreams. I can't wait to lunch there after hitting the flower mart.

From the LA Times:

The gig: Real estate developer and moviemaker Andrew Meieran, 46, is staking his reputation and millions of dollars on an attempt to revive one of the most beloved restaurants in Los Angeles history Clifton's Cafeteria on Broadway.

Known for its Disney-like forest theme, Clifton's Brookdale Cafeteria served an estimated 170 million meals starting in 1935 but lost traction in recent decades as the city's historic core fell out of favor.

Meieran took it over in 2010 and closed it the following year to begin its renovation.

As longtime fans of the cafeteria wait, Meieran is laboring on a $5-million makeover that he hopes will make Clifton's an elaborate dining and drinking establishment unlike any other in the city and bring back crowds.

The vision: Plans call for Clifton's to have multiple bars and restaurants in markedly divergent styles throughout the four-story building. Each is to be crafted with the sophisticated attention to detail that Meieran brought to the nearby Edison, the Jules Verne-like subterranean nightclub he created deep under a century-old building on 2nd Street.

How to stand out: A memorable bar or restaurant must stay intriguing even on repeat visits, he said. "If you come back, I want you to notice more," Meieran said. "If we don't get the details right, we have a huge potential to miss the mark with our audience."

Comfort food: Meieran aims to restore and improve the forest-themed dining hall that generations of Angelenos associate with Clifton's and continue to serve such traditional cafeteria comfort food as pot roast, mashed potatoes and Jell-O.

Defined spaces: There will be distinct venues throughout the building, much of it rarely visited by the public in years past. The basement will house a bar full of historic local relics intended to transport visitors back in time. The ground floor and mezzanine-like second floor will remain a forest-themed cafeteria, with added details such as an old-fashioned soda fountain.

The third floor, which most recently held Gay '90s-themed banquet rooms, is being turned into a sit-down restaurant with classic food, Meieran said, but "not fine dining." It will also house a museum that he would not describe other than to call it "a cabinet of curiosities."

The fourth floor Clifton's old offices will get a Polynesian-themed restaurant and bar called South Seas, named after a Clifton's cafeteria on Olive Street that was popular in the 1940s and 1950s.

Also on that floor will be a second historic-themed bar and restaurant, this one Art Deco style. It's intended to be an upscale yet casual joint where diners can get a steak or chili.

Speed bumps: Renovation of the building, which opened in 1915 as a Boos Brothers cafeteria, has been far more costly and time-consuming than anticipated. At first, Meieran hoped to keep Clifton's open during construction. Then he closed it in fall 2011 for what he hoped would be a 5-million rehabilitation lasting three to six months.

Now he aims to finally reopen by Halloween, and even then some of the venues won't be complete. He's trying to keep the final tab under $5 million.

"Everything takes longer and costs four times more than you expect," he said. "What can go wrong will go wrong. My feeling is that there is just so much incredible potential in this project that it would be a disservice to not do it right."

Early years: Meieran was born and raised in the Bay Area and educated at UC Berkeley. As a young developer he bought a former Roman Catholic church in San Francisco and turned it into a live-work space.

In 1988 church leaders asked him to evaluate the real estate potential of St. Vibiana's, a Los Angeles landmark dating to the 1870s.

Meieran stayed in L.A. to help rehabilitate the adjacent abandoned Higgins Building office tower into housing and created the Edison in its basement.

Domestic front: Meieran and his wife, Christy, renovated and live in Charlie Chaplin's former home in the Hollywood Hills. They have two daughters, Amelie and Natasha.

Hollywood connection: Meieran produced and directed the upcoming "Highland Park," which stars Parker Posey and Danny Glover. Scheduled for release March 20, the movie, set in Detroit, is about the revitalization of a neighborhood.

Like Clifton's, he said, the movie "reflects my philosophy about taking responsibility and doing what you can personally to inspire pride and hope in one's community."

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation