FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Top Ten Tiki Drinks
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Top Ten Tiki Drinks
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2006-04-07 5:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-07 12:02, Humuhumu wrote:
My personal favorite top ten tiki drinks (at the moment, I'll probably change my mind by this afternoon):

Ray's Mistake
Black Magic
Sidewinder's Fang
Beachbum's Own
Reverb Crash
Navy Grog
151 Swizzle
Shark's Tooth
Blackbeard's Ghost
Starboard Light

Humu's top ten is actually pretty close to my top ten as well. Interesting also that I used to serve her #'s 3,4,5,6 & 10 pretty regularly until recently!

And hopefully again quite soon.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-07 5:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-07 14:57, thejab wrote:
tikivixen, the drink at the Tiki-Ti is the Puka Puka (which is in Intoxica), not the Puka Punch. At least that is what it's called on their web site. I think the Puka Punch is a different drink martiki was making at Vic's a while back.

Count me also as a big fan of the Painkiller, especially as served at Tiki-Ti, and as made from the Grog Log.

Which is to say, as made by Martiki. Yuuummmmmm.

But you've pointed out something there, Jab. I'm cheating 'cause I have both Intoxica and a TikiTi menu in front of me. On the menu, it's called the Puka Puka like on the website. But in Intoxica, there's a drink called Puka Punch which they do credit to Tiki Ti.

Well...I don't know if they're the same, because dammit, I don't get to go to Tiki Ti nearly often enough!!! BUT I have made the Intoxica drink at home and I am addicted to it. So that's what I'm nominating.

Hm. Want Painkiller. Is it five o'clock yet?!

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-04-07 5:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-07 17:41, martiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-04-07 14:57, thejab wrote:
tikivixen, the drink at the Tiki-Ti is the Puka Puka (which is in Intoxica), not the Puka Punch. At least that is what it's called on their web site. I think the Puka Punch is a different drink martiki was making at Vic's a while back.

Count me also as a big fan of the Painkiller, especially as served at Tiki-Ti, and as made from the Grog Log.

Other way around. The Puka Punch is in Intoxica, and is formerly a Tiki-Ti drink. I think it was too much trouble to keep making, so they dropped it form the menu. That's the reason they gave out the recipe. If I'm not (ray's) mistaken, that's the only known (published) Tiki-Ti recipe. Tiki Puka Puka is a Trader Vic's drink.

Can I call you Ray?

They list it as Puka Puka here:

http://www.tiki-ti.com/pages/alpha.html

I had one recently (last year) at Tiki-Ti.

I know that Trader Vic's has the Tiki Puka Puka as well because I had one on Monday, and you made me them before.

Not that it matters, whatever the name it tastes great!

[ This Message was edited by: thejab 2006-04-07 17:51 ]

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-04-07 8:09 pm   Permalink

Ok plabus I'm at coon tiki, And tiki diablo comes up and wants a drink. So he asks swanky to make him one. Swanky says " I'm Having a gin and tonic John will make you a drink". I suck at making drinks. And Swanky knows this. So I reluctantly make him a drink. Lemmon slice/ appelton rum 1 shot /white rum 1/2 /shot sweet and sour 1/2 shot/ orgeat 1tsp /and ginger ale 3 shots. I gave that to him and he said it tasted just like a ray's mistake. his drink he orders all of the time. He could have been just being nice. he is a really nice guy. But make one and let me know. I've never had a ray's mistake.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-08 12:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-07 17:47, martiki wrote:
Humu's top ten is actually pretty close to my top ten as well. Interesting also that I used to serve her #'s 3,4,5,6 & 10 pretty regularly until recently!

I think that's no coincidence! The maker of the drink has as much to do with the quality as the recipe they're trying to work from.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-09 02:56 am   Permalink

well here is my top 10 in no real order. i have to say it is hard to narrow it down to 10.

captain's grog(martiki's are the best)
blackbeard's ghost
sidewinder's fang
mai tai(i really like dr z's version)
trader vic grog
zombie (the one that calls for brown sugar)
ray's mistake
queenspark swizzle
tonga punch
puka punch

thanks for the nod on your list jab! that means a lot to me!

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-11 10:59 am   Permalink

In no particular order...

Navy Grog
Puka Punch
Mai Tai (Trader Vic)
Zombie (Intoxica)
Shark's Tooth
Reverb Crash (fresh grapefruit juice only!)
151 Swizzle

I tend to lean towards the strong ones. (And then I lean more afterwards...)

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-11 12:11 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone for the mentions of the Reverb Crash (BTW - I add a little extra rum nowadays , no more than .25 oz each type, to adjust for my liking of stronger drinks). And yes, Fresh grapefruit juice, not from concentrate.

My top list right now, excluding my drinks (published and unpublished), and the order of locations:

Navy Grog (Grog Log, Trader Vic's)
Rum Barrel (Tiki Ti, Grog Log)
151 Swizzle (Mai Kai, Tiki Ti, Grog Log)
Zombie (Mai Kai, Tiki Ti, Intoxica)
Ooga Booga (Tiki Ti)
Puka Puka (Tiki Ti)
Puka Punch (Intoxica)
Mai Kai Barrel O' rum (Mai Kai, Taboo Table)
Painkiller (Tiki Ti, Grog Log)
Ok, I guess I can't think of any other drink that I really like, so I'll add
Mai Tai (Trader Vic's "old style"). But since I never tasted one done with real aged expensive rum, I have to put it in the bottom of my top ten.

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-11 12:35 pm   Permalink

I like how this thread has split into 'classic and legendary top ten' and 'modern individual top ten'.

There's enough overlap in the modern top tens that we could probably come up with a 'ten classics' and 'ten modern favorites' composite list.

In either/both category, a few personal faves...

The Missionary's Downfall recipe in Tiki Road Trip was provided for me by The Jab. I multiplied the recipe by a factor of eight last year, put it into a glass jug, and let it sit for three days. When I poured it over ice, the mint leaves had all but disintegrated, the honey had remained diluted and well blended (didn't separate back into a gooey mess on the bottom of the jug or anything like that) and it was the most delicious drink I have ever tried.

I am also a fan of the Tortuga as made by Trader Vic's.
I like the Grog Log version's mixer ratios, and the Trader Vics Book of Food and Drink booze ratios (and brands). So I make a hybrid of the two. They're pretty similar; same ingredients but in slightly different amounts.

The Polynesian Spell is good also if you like Gin.

And of course the house drink at Aku Hall is Pisco Sour, which I have modified EXTENSIVELY from the version published in TRT.

I also have fond memories of a big puch bowl full of Test Pilot mixed up by Pablus at Hukilau 2004. Maybe it was the environment, the company, or the aftermath, but that was a quite memorable one.

Also try this one, invented by me and DangerGirl on Easter Island in 2004: equal parts fresh pineapple juice, fresh lime juice, and Havana Club rum.
Drink in the shadow of a moai.

Actually, that last bit is good advice for ANY drink...

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-11 1:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-11 12:35, tikibars wrote:
Drink in the shadow of a moai.

Actually, that last bit is good advice for ANY drink...

And if you think that the Moai is gonna tip over you, then the drink has done its purpose...
Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-13 3:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-11 12:11, kick_the_reverb wrote:
Thanks everyone for the mentions of the Reverb Crash (BTW - I add a little extra rum nowadays , no more than .25 oz each type, to adjust for my liking of stronger drinks). And yes, Fresh grapefruit juice, not from concentrate.

Just for the record, this is the way I've been mixing the Reverb Crash lately:

4oz grapefruit juice
1oz passion fruit syrup
3/4oz lime juice
1/4oz orgeat syrup
1 1/2oz light rum
1oz Myer's dark rum

I also like it a little stronger (and a little less sweet). But an excellent drink any way you shake it.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-09 11:09 am   Permalink

This is easy enough. Pull up the Grogalizer and see what I gave a "10"

Astro Aku Aku

These three are way on the sweet side...
Blue Hawaii
Blue Reef
Boo Loo

Derby Daiquiri
Krakatoa
Navy Grog
Outrigger
Shark's Tooth (Shark Bite at Mai Kai)
Test Pilot
Beachbum's Own
Heaven's Above
Surf Room Mai Tai

Add the Mai Kai Zombie, BK's Concubine and Pablus' Scorpion to the list too.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chief Bartender
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-18 08:10 am   Permalink

I don't know if I have a top ten at this point (I love 'em all!), but I am partial to Suffering Bastards lately. My favorite Tiki-Ti drinks are the Dr. Funk and the Bayanian. Ray's Mistake is up there and would be in my top ten were I inclined to make a list.

As for Pina Coladas being tiki drinks, I'd put them in that category. They're also great for introducing reluctant friends to the world of tiki. (Although I prefer a Chi Chi to a Pina. We used to drink those at the Tiki Ti also.)

View Profile of Chief Bartender Send a personal message to Chief Bartender  Email Chief Bartender     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-19 08:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-18 08:10, Chief Bartender at Brenda's Tiki Hut wrote:
As for Pina Coladas being tiki drinks, I'd put them in that category.

They're the Werewolves' Favorite!

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chief Bartender
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-19 11:55 am   Permalink

I made myself a Painkiller last night. Definitely a top ten drink.

View Profile of Chief Bartender Send a personal message to Chief Bartender  Email Chief Bartender     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation