FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Top Ten Tiki Drinks
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Top Ten Tiki Drinks
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-03 12:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-07 10:11, KuKuAhu wrote:
...I submit the Singapore Sling

Quote:

On 2006-04-07 14:32, tikivixen wrote:
...Singapore Sling

A recent discussion about Tiki drinks in the Ealoli household brought the Singapore Sling to the forefront of the discussion. That led to a bit of looking through the recipe books. That led to a poke around on the internet...... Surprise! No less that five recipes all claiming to be the 'original.' Well, five drinks later (not all at once!) and I have five new favorite drinks all with the same name.

So... I know it is not a common Tiki drink and many would say it is not even a Tiki drink, but I would like to submit the Singapore Sling for another review and possible inclusion into the "Halls of Tiki Drinks," which sounds best if you do your best deep movie announcer voice when you say "Halls of Tiki Drinks".... Mix one (or more) up and see if it doesn't get you thinking of far-away places with gentle breezes and friendly natives...... and in the process take a seat in your favorite Top-Ten list of drinks.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-08-03 1:37 pm   Permalink

I think the Singapore Sling belongs in the Top Ten Pre-Tiki Tropical Drinks list, but not in the Top Ten Tiki Drinks because it came well before Trader Vic and Don the Beachcomber. Some other possibilities: dacquiri, rum, gum, and lime, planters punch. New topic?

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-08-03 11:54 pm   Permalink

Grog

1 shot rum
1 teaspoon sugar (preferably superfine)
Squeeze of lime juice
Cinnamon stick
Boiling water

Stir all ingredients, adding enough boiling water to fill mug or glass.

Navy Grog

Captains Grog

GROG not sure why, but something about these drinks really appeals to GROG.

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2006-08-04 00:00 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-05 10:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-03 12:56, Chip and Andy wrote:
A recent discussion about Tiki drinks in the Ealoli household brought the Singapore Sling to the forefront of the discussion. That led to a bit of looking through the recipe books. That led to a poke around on the internet...... Surprise! No less that five recipes all claiming to be the 'original.' Well, five drinks later (not all at once!) and I have five new favorite drinks all with the same name.

Of the five, which are your favorites? And can you post a link to the recipes? I must "research" this myself. Reaching for the lab coat now...

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-07 3:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-05 10:44, GatorRob wrote:
Of the five, which are your favorites? And can you post a link to the recipes? I must "research" this myself. Reaching for the lab coat now...

Gator Rob, Sent you a PM....

Quote:

On 2006-08-03 13:37, thejab wrote:
I think the Singapore Sling belongs in the Top Ten Pre-Tiki Tropical Drinks list, ...

I agree with the Jab... and I disagree with the Jab.... There are some that consider the Singapore Sling as the Original Tiki Drink. The complex blend of ingredients with an exotic presentation is the simplest description of many Tiki Drinks..... It is definitely a Pre-Tiki drink but not one that should be so casually dismissed in my opinion.

And, since you suggested it, can we expand the focus of the thread to include your Top-Ten Tiki Drinks as well as your Top-Ten Pre-Tiki drinks? Keeping in mind, of course, that the Pre-Tiki drinks should give you a drink geneology that generally leads to a Tiki Drink.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-15 6:20 pm   Permalink

Okay, so maybe I'm a little slow, but tonight I finally discovered the immense pleasure of the Spindrift (Grog Log, 78). Wow, what a drink. First off, it's ENORMOUS! Don't have a large snifter big enough for this heavyweight, so had to split it in two. (Both halves for me of course!) I absolutely love the vanilla. And it's sufficiently strong to make it, well... sufficiently strong, if you know what I mean. Definitely makes my home bar menu and my top 10.

Gotta buy some BIG glasses now.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-15 6:39 pm   Permalink

GatorRob, I was just looking at the recipe I wonder if this tastes close to Tiki Ti's "Ray's Mistake".I think I will make one and see for myself. Thanks for the tip.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-16 05:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-15 18:39, hiltiki wrote:
GatorRob, I was just looking at the recipe I wonder if this tastes close to Tiki Ti's "Ray's Mistake".I think I will make one and see for myself. Thanks for the tip.

I've not been to the Tiki Ti or had a Ray's Mistake (boo hoo), so I don't know first hand. But I have read somewhere else that the vanilla extract flavor may give these drinks a similar flavor. Forbidden Island also serves the Spindrift.

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-16 9:09 pm   Permalink

GR, I just made one and am drinking it as I post. The passion fruit flavor is a little too dominant, so I have to say it does not taste like a Ray's Mistake. However, it is a great tasting drink and I like it a lot. Real good yum!

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thegreenman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-05 7:54 pm   Permalink

Okay I'm dragging this topic up again to see if anyone has ever done a poll to see what the overall unofficial favorite drink of the TC ohana is?

I wanted to make a poll to this effect, but this forum doesn't allow me to embed code. So is there a "hands down" winner?

I haven't tried enough different quality drinks to have a favorite yet, but I hope that changes soon.

View Profile of thegreenman Send a personal message to thegreenman  Email thegreenman Goto the website of thegreenman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thinkingbartender
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-06 02:51 am   Permalink

Re: Singapore Sling.

At the moment I am doing research (the non-sipping kind) on the Singapore Sling; and it is becoming clear to me that Raffles Hotel only started selling the pineapple juice recipe Singapore Sling in the last 70's. Before the 70's all references (i.e. 5-6) refer to the recipe as being gin, cherry brandy, benedictine, sodawater. Most of the pink recipes are for the generic Singapore Sling that was served all over Singapore, and was nothing more than a Tom Collins with Cherry Brandy.

Cheers!

George

View Profile of thinkingbartender Send a personal message to thinkingbartender  Email thinkingbartender Goto the website of thinkingbartender     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-27 3:50 pm   Permalink

I've searched around TC and found no mention of the War God, a Steve Crane Kon-Tiki drink. The recipe in Tiki Magazine, Summer 2006, p 42, courtesy of everyone's favorite tiki mixologist, Beachbum Berry, is the one I'm referring to. I first made this drink back when the magazine came out. "Oooh! Oooh! A new, er, old drink recipe!" (Think Steve Martin... "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!") After trying it, I wasn't overly impressed, but thought it had potential. My notes say "Slightly too dry - try 1/2 oz sugar syrup". Well, last weekend I decided to resurrect the War God and made the drink again, this time with the extra sugar syrup, except make that true gomme syrup, which I had just mixed up.

The results: Holy Clown Face Tiki Mug, Batman... that's REAL good. The rum is strong, but not overpowering. The falernum, grapefruit and lime flavors tantilize the tastebuds. And the Pernod whispers from the back row, "I'm here." The drink even improves somewhat as time takes its toll on the ice and the rums take a few steps back. Oh, and the gomme syrup will make it just slide down your throat.

This drink has now cracked my personal top 10 with a bullet. If you haven't tried it yet, summon the War God and let us know what you think.

[ This Message was edited by: GatorRob 2007-02-27 15:54 ]

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-28 06:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-27 15:50, GatorRob wrote:
I've searched around TC and found no mention of the War God, a Steve Crane Kon-Tiki drink. The recipe in Tiki Magazine, Summer 2006, p 42, courtesy of everyone's favorite tiki mixologist, Beachbum Berry, is the one I'm referring to. I first made this drink back when the magazine came out. "Oooh! Oooh! A new, er, old drink recipe!" (Think Steve Martin... "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!") After trying it, I wasn't overly impressed, but thought it had potential. My notes say "Slightly too dry - try 1/2 oz sugar syrup". Well, last weekend I decided to resurrect the War God and made the drink again, this time with the extra sugar syrup, except make that true gomme syrup, which I had just mixed up.

The results: Holy Clown Face Tiki Mug, Batman... that's REAL good. The rum is strong, but not overpowering. The falernum, grapefruit and lime flavors tantilize the tastebuds. And the Pernod whispers from the back row, "I'm here." The drink even improves somewhat as time takes its toll on the ice and the rums take a few steps back. Oh, and the gomme syrup will make it just slide down your throat.

This drink has now cracked my personal top 10 with a bullet. If you haven't tried it yet, summon the War God and let us know what you think.

[ This Message was edited by: GatorRob 2007-02-27 15:54 ]

You are assuming we have the recipe...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-28 3:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-28 06:16, Swanky wrote:
You are assuming we have the recipe...

Well yes I was, but only because I didn't want to upset the gods, uh, the Bum by reprinting a recipe from his upcoming book. But I sent smoke signals his way and I now have his permission. Before we get to the recipe, here is a word from the Bum...

Quote:

... it is only one of eleven "lost" Steve Crane Luau/Kon-Tiki recipes from my upcoming book, Beachbum Berry's Sippin' Safari, due out this June from SLG Publishing...

June can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned. But maybe this'll tide us over. Anyway, without further ado...

War God
1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
1/2 ounce grapefruit juice
1/2 ounce falernum syrup
1/4 ounce sugar syrup
1 ounce amber Virgin Islands rum
1 ounce dark Jamaican rum
1 ounce 151-proof Demerara rum
Dash Angostura bitters
6 drops (about 1/8 teaspoon) Herbsaint or Pernod
8 ounces (1 cup) crushed ice

Put everything in a blender, saving ice for last. Blend at high speed for no more than 5 seconds. Pour into a War God mug, adding more ice to fill.

(Remember that I used 1/2 ounce gomme syrup in mine in place of the 1/4 oz sugar, but that's just me.)

Okolemaluna!

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-06 09:13 am   Permalink

Okaaay... isn't anybody going to try the War God? Or if you have, did it make your top 10? Bottom 10? Middle 50?

Phffftt! Phffftt! Hello? Is this thing on?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation