[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Palm Log Sources
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Palm Log Sources
Freddimon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-07 5:50 pm   Permalink

I've searched every version I could think of for this and can't find a subject or thread that discusses this as a ready to get (buy) business:o Up north, we don't have the luxury you guys do down south, we can't collect palm logs (after a storm) to carve. Can any body give a hand to us northern tiki carvers with this problem? I'm not into carving oak, btw!

View Profile of Freddimon Send a personal message to Freddimon  Email Freddimon Goto the website of Freddimon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-07 6:32 pm   Permalink

I think you guys have White pine which should carve like Butter. Look around for saw mills or tree trimmers. I Know there is More than Oak up there.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-07 7:46 pm   Permalink

I just started on some soft Maple and I'm really impressed with how nicely it carves. There are a lot of good tiki woods besides palm (having never tried palm myself).

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-07 10:31 pm   Permalink

Northern woods are where it's at... Oak, Ash, Birch, Cedar, Pine, Basswood

So much beauty and grain in many to bring out that just adds to a carving.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-12 4:28 pm   Permalink

I can get as many palm logs as one would ever need from a palm nursery. They guarantee their palms when they plant them and if they die, they dig'em up and bring'em back to the nursery. I had them plant a 14 footer in my backyard last year and it died. They came and planted me a new one and I'm going to make a nice, ugly, rootball-head tiki with the deceased one, I beleive. Many that never leave the nursery die and they just chunk them into the back lot. Only problem--if they have died, then the wood might have some rot in it--not always.

I'm actually getiing tired of the palm log thing and can't wait to get a hold of some good white pine or something that will hold some detail. I may be wrong but I would guess many carvers would not choose palm as their #1. pick.

Good luck and if you're ever down in the lowcountry of SC, I'll hook you up w/ some palm.

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-12 6:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I would guess many carvers would not choose palm as their #1. pick.

palm is my #1 choice - VERY soft, carves real easy and can hold detail if it is a little moist. like butter, that palm. Plus, there's tons of it around here (in socal)
IF you ever drive down here I'd be happy to trade some wood too.

Carve what ya got local, though, cause all wood carves and POST IT!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-12 9:41 pm   Permalink

Hey I'll trade some Walnut for Palm. Just a log or two to try out... PM me.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-12 9:42 pm   Permalink

Hey I'll trade some Walnut for Palm. Just a log or two to try out... PM me.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-13 4:48 pm   Permalink

FREDDIMON ,where are you located?. i'm just south of cleveland by the airport with a couple palm logs

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-16 08:19 am   Permalink

Did you want one?

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TampaTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-19 8:32 pm   Permalink

If you know anyone coming up from Tampa or can get cheap shipping I'll send you as many as you like. Message me here and I'll see it within a week or so!

Peace

View Profile of TampaTiki Send a personal message to TampaTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Freddimon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-20 03:18 am   Permalink

Sounds like an offer! I wonder if there's anyone else in the ClevOH area that wants some palm too....

View Profile of Freddimon Send a personal message to Freddimon  Email Freddimon Goto the website of Freddimon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-30 11:37 am   Permalink

oh well. i guess not.

Freddimon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-30 3:39 pm   Permalink

I do want one, PM'd you, no reply. PM me!

tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-30 7:37 pm   Permalink

Sorry - I dropped the ball on this one...

Let me try again. If any of you guys wanna trade a 18 inch long walnut log for similar sized palm log, I'd be up for that! Lemme know please via EMail
tikigap@yahoo.com

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation