[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Bob Lee's Islander in Boston
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Bob Lee's Islander in Boston
TikiSOX
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-09 05:31 am   Permalink

Hello! Pretty new member here, mostly just lurking and enjoying the site.

I was wondering if anyone had any information on Bob Lee's Islander restaurant that was in Boston. My wife used to go there as a kid. We have a mug from Bob's that we found up in New Hampshire a year ago, but not much any other information.

Anything would help. Thanks!

Greg

[ This Message was edited by: TikiSOX 2006-04-09 05:31 ]

View Profile of TikiSOX Send a personal message to TikiSOX  Email TikiSOX     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-12 2:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-09 05:31, TikiSOX wrote:
Hello! Pretty new member here, mostly just lurking and enjoying the site.

I was wondering if anyone had any information on Bob Lee's Islander restaurant that was in Boston. My wife used to go there as a kid. We have a mug from Bob's that we found up in New Hampshire a year ago, but not much any other information.

Anything would help. Thanks!

Greg

[ This Message was edited by: TikiSOX 2006-04-09 05:31 ]

Hey TikiSOX,

Bob Lee's The Islander is closed (and has been for sometime). They used to play the theme from "Adventures in Paradise" (tv show) there on the PA. I can't tell you much more than that.

-Randy

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSOX
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-12 3:47 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the info Randy. I belive Bob Lee's was in Chinatown, about two blocks away from where I went to school. I'm wondering if there are any pics out there or if there are any mugs different from the one we have. All the best and thanks again. Time to watch the Sox soon.

Greg

Here is the mug we have...

View Profile of TikiSOX Send a personal message to TikiSOX  Email TikiSOX     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-12 4:00 pm   Permalink

I have seen some nice postcards (Sabu?) of that place, lot's of Tikis, and psychedelic island pattern carpets, the place looked crammed full of Polynesian Pop. Anybody know if there was a family connection to Tommy Lee's Islander in Stockton?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-04-12 10:10 pm   Permalink

Here are some images from an extra-long postcard I have. I have a few other things from Bob Lee's Islander but this is the best image. I love those Paul-Marshall Mug-inspired tiki posts. It's a psychedelic tiki fever dream inside that place. Would have loved to have seen it.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-04-12 10:12 pm   Permalink

Here's another link that may be of interest:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=3649&forum=1

By the way, that mug is SWEET! And in great condition.

Sabu

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2006-04-12 22:57 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSOX
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-13 05:42 am   Permalink

Thanks Big Bro and Sabu. Great images. My wife was pretty young when she went there, but she does remember how great it was. Do you know if there were any other mugs that came out of there? Thanks again for those great images.

Greg

the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-13 11:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-12 16:00, bigbrotiki wrote:
I have seen some nice postcards (Sabu?) of that place, lot's of Tikis, and psychedelic island pattern carpets, the place looked crammed full of Polynesian Pop. Anybody know if there was a family connection to Tommy Lee's Islander in Stockton?

cleen and i have never found any connection. of course we really didn't look into the idea. i really don't think there is just because the lee family used to and probably still does own many businesses in the stockton area. the other reason is that hop louie actually named the islander in stockton not tommy. but you never know maybe bob lee was the black sheep in the lee family that just had to get out of stockton!

anyone know what year bob lee's was opened? also is bob lee's lantern house owned by the same bob lee?

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikisgrl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-14 6:19 pm   Permalink

I found a postcard like Sabu's a week or so ago I also have a Bob Lee's Lantern house matchbook. Today I found this:

Sorry for the glare but I don't have a scanner.

it was in this magazine from 1974

View Profile of Tikisgrl Send a personal message to Tikisgrl  Email Tikisgrl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-09 1:07 pm   Permalink

I was talking with the manager of the Mon Kou this weekend, and found out that he's the Great Nephew of Bob Lee.

Some of the recipies served at the Mon Kou (cocktails & food) are directly from his Great Uncle!!

And <shameless plug> it happens to be one of the stops on the North East Tiki Tour (the Mon Kou, not the Islander)

www.northeasttikitour.com

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-22 6:10 pm   Permalink

I picked up a couple of different postcards from Bob Lee's in Boston and got a little confused.

The first card is from Bob Lee's Aloha Lounge and Restaurant which is located at 20 Tyler Street.

The second larger postcard is from Bob Lee's Islander also at 20 Tyler Street. I am assuming that Bob started out with the Aloha and changed names later to the Islander? Does anyone out there remember is as the Aloha Lounge?

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-22 6:27 pm   Permalink

Cool cards. That Bob Lee sure like the "cluttered" look!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-23 03:50 am   Permalink

In case anybody wants to see it, HERE is the place today.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-23 2:03 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting that Pappy, I was trying to imagine which 'joint' it had become.
Great postcard views of the bygone era.

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-23 4:33 pm   Permalink

PappyTheSailor,

Thanks for the exterior picture, I wonder what the inside looks like these days.

Here is another card from Bob Lee's Islander. This card was published a bit later than the first two I posted. Wow, the place really changed! Bob went from a Polynesian island tribal mask theme to a full blown psychedelic tiki ride. Check out the ceiling and the carpet on these pics! Crazy Man.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation