Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Worst hawaiian bar ever
Worst hawaiian bar ever
suicide_sam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-07 9:43 pm   Permalink

I promote a monthly rockabilly show at a spot called The Westchester Sports grill and I noticed one day that in the same center there was a sign above a little whole in the wall that said "Lei's Aloha Lounge" Upon enetring I found a sad sad excuse for an aloha bar. The most tropical thing in the whole bar was teh fondu pot that made the whole place hot and uncomfortable.

View Profile of suicide_sam Send a personal message to suicide_sam  Email suicide_sam Goto the website of suicide_sam ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahukini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-07 9:57 pm   Permalink

But that's in a low-key locale... here in Birmingham Alabama, in a prominent location downtown, with a large sign and huge clear wall windows along both sides of a street corner, is "TIKI BOB'S - A HULA HEAVEN" horrible florida beach decor (what little decor there is), bad food and bad drinks. They're giving tiki a bad name. They were absolutely packed the first few weeks when I drove by. Now I hear there were only 5 people in the vast place on a recent thursday night. I can't wait till they close!

View Profile of kahukini Send a personal message to kahukini      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Frenchy Polynesia
Deleted

Posted: 2002-05-07 10:27 pm   Permalink

Well... I certainly think TikiMaxton and I will rush to nominate Banana Joe's in Portland! It's very Night at the Roxbury meets Jimmy Buffet. Bleah!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-08 09:00 am   Permalink

There's a place near here (Knoxville, TN) called the Tiki Lounge. Sounds great right? Well, it's way out toward an area of town known for trailer parks and The Outlaws motorcycle club.

We ventured out there one night to see. Luckily it was well lit and had windows so you could see in from the road. We kept driving. maybe there is a tiki in there, but we were too scared to poke our heads in.

I dare ya!

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-08 1:03 pm   Permalink

Any thatched-roof bar by a beach/swimming pool in Florida that has a tiki bar sign, serves only Mexican beer and Tequila drinks and plays Jimmy Buffett music. Not that I hate Mexican beer, Tequila or even Jimmy Buffett, but let's have a little truth in advertising.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-05-10 11:57 am   Permalink

Did I mention it SUCKS?

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-17 5:32 pm   Permalink

Better late (12 years !!) than never. I LOVED this place !! Cheap stiff drinks and they open at 6am.

Highly recommended.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-17 5:54 pm   Permalink

Why are you drinking at 6am, John?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-17 6:04 pm   Permalink

Apparently because he's stiff.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-17 7:50 pm   Permalink

If he hasn't been to bed yet, then effectively it's still the night before.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-17 7:52 pm   Permalink

So John... are you saying this place is a candidate for the worst hawaiian bar? Because it doesn't seem so.

[ This Message was edited by: PiPhiRho 2014-06-17 19:53 ]

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-17 8:39 pm   Permalink

I wish places would stop calling themselves "tiki bars" when they really mean "we have outside seating"

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-17 10:11 pm   Permalink

Not a Hawaiian bar, not a Tiki bar (really), but an awesome Aloha dive bar.

I thought it was funny that I did a TC search and came up with a hit on the place... from 12 years ago !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation