FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Midnite's Global Journey of Spiritual Discovery*
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Midnite's Global Journey of Spiritual Discovery*
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-10 7:40 pm   Permalink

*Aka "One Man's Search for the World's Best Room Service Club Sandwich."

My personal travels throughout the globe take me to many interesting places, some of which serve a stellar club, but also I try to catch a bit of Tiki wherever I can. So, now that I have a digital camera that didn't come in a cereal box, I thought I would share some of my excursions with my TC pals. I had intended calling this topic "Midnite's Express" but considering I still intend to visit Istanbul some day, I thought better.

First up, my recent trip to England and this traveler's favorite city: London. I was only in London for a few days, and was unfortunately unable to meet up with any of the UK TC members, next time. I did grab the announcement card for the London Luau that Vic's was placing with all bills. Here is a shot of my, note the plural, visits to Vic's:

At the time of this trip London Vic's as still offering it's "Tiki" menu of discounted drinks, weekdays 5-7pm. At 5 pounds for a Zombie, Mai Tai, among others, it cannot beat. The drinks were well made, some Russian/Eastern Bloc bartenders there now. Not bad, not bad at all. The service is still sketchy, but London Vic's more than makes up for it with the eye candy...nudge nudge. The descent down the spiral staircase from the Hilton lobby into Vic's is the quintessential Tiki bar entrance.

What a nice stay, as if one can have a bad time in London. As some wise old dead guy said, "When one tires of London, one tires of life" Something like that, I don't recall it exactly, I had four Zombies in me.

Oh yeah, my trip to London was not strictly an excuse to drink at Vic's, close though. I also checked out the Imperial War Museum's special exhibit on T.E Lawrence. This is the actual Brough he was riding when he suffered the fatal crash:

Also checked out Stonehenge...it's not as big as it's supposed to be!...and was able to score some special early access which enabled me to capture some candid and isolated snaps:

So, Lawrence and Stonehenge are not strictly "Tiki" per se, but I am a complex and many-faceted being. Like the fine diamond that tops Her Majesty's crown I too am multi-faceted. I also like old German convertibles, club sandwiches, and bullfights.

Off to the navel of the Earth and the cradle of civilization, with a brief stop in gay Paris. Candid photos to come. Garcon, more club sandwich, por favor!

EDIT: ALL the photos from this page have gone missing. Replacing what I am able.

[ This Message was edited by: midnite_tiki 2008-06-05 23:22 ]

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-11 01:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-10 19:40, midnite_tiki wrote:
*Aka "One Man's Search for the World's Best Room Service Club Sandwich."

I was only in London for a few days, and was unfortunately unable to meet up with any of the UK TC members, next time.

Hey Midnite, We did try.
Armed with the secret password we sidled up to many customers in Vics on the Thursday night, whispered in their ear and were promptly told to F*!K off and leave them alone.

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-04-11 2:45 pm   Permalink

LIES!!! ALL lies! Midnite can't even travel a few blocks to go to the SF Trader Vics (even on free Mai_Tai night!) so I refuse to believe he actually FLEW somewhere! He is a FRAUD, an imposter and NO good at doing silly walks!!!!

PS-I LOVE you MAN!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-11 4:08 pm   Permalink

That is a spectacular montage of Mai Tais!

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 09:08 am   Permalink

Ok, where am I, and what time is it? I just got back late last night from places far and farther. I think I missed a big event yesterday, perfect timing, story of my life.

"Armed with the secret password we sidled up to many customers in Vics on the Thursday night, whispered in their ear and were promptly told to F*!K off and leave them alone. "

Thursday was a bad night for me, sorry I was rude, after so many working girls vying for my attention, ya know. I did not make it to Vic's that night, had to get up early for the 6am drive out to Stonehenge (not as big....). Next time, I promise, and I will also make it to Senor Pedro's place this time too (another free mai tai I lost out on). I will be back in London within the year!

Midnite can't even travel a few blocks to go to the SF Trader Vics (even on free Mai_Tai night!) so I refuse to believe he actually FLEW somewhere! He is a FRAUD, an imposter and NO good at doing silly walks!!!!

It was raining, and there was a scary looking guy at the bus stop. Plus, I think Matlock was on. I do too travel, but alas, I am a fraud.

That is a spectacular montage of Mai Tais

Thanks, wait 'til you see the next series of candid shots from this latest excursion. The Kona Kai in Athens is tres magnifique. For the life of me I cannot get anything across in Hellenic, other than Kalimera. Luckily most everyone understood, "Another Club Sandwich, please!"

Jet Lag Boy,
midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-25 2:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-21 09:08, midnite_tiki wrote:
had to get up early for the 6am drive out to Stonehenge (not as big

And that's with the hidden lenses & mirrors.... You should have seen it before the Yanks starting coming over, comparing it to the big plastic dinosaur of Utah. Ah, told you you should have gone to Avebury.

Glad you enjoyed the Kona Kai - an unspoilt gem among the dusty ruins. Can't wait to see the montage.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-28 12:40 pm   Permalink

Kalimera!

Our most recent stops in my "Quest for the World's Greatest Club Sandwich" were Athens, followed by a few days in Paris. Athens was a quite a sight, a very interesting city. Our hotel was at Syntagma Square, as we exited the Metro station we were greeted by bright blue sky and a cacophony of disagreeable sounds. We had the misfortune of arriving during, at that point, a 10-day garbage collection strike. It seems the garbage collectors were at that very moment marching in loud protest down the street fronting the Parliament building. Then, as we approached our hotel I saw two stray dogs literally attack an automobile. Not just run next to it and bark, I mean attack, with prejudice. What a first impression of Athens was all I could think. Note: do not mess with the stray dogs of Athens, especially if you're in a car.

Athens: Acropolis, ruins, history, Delphi, ruins, blah blah blah. Let's get to the Tiki! At the Ledra Marriott is Kona Kai and what a place it is. Kona Kai is a must....a must...if you are ever lucky enough to visit Athens. Now, getting there can be a trick. A veritable freeway fronts the place, it is not pedestrian friendly. This fact leads to the worst part of Athens: the taxi drivers. They're a wonderful bunch, ubiquitous and cheap, but also very dodgy in the business ethics department. Take a cab, but do keep an eye on the meter. Athens taxis are a problem.

Here's what greets you descend to the Kona Kai: the "waterfall" effect surrounding the logo Kona Kai tiki is uber-cool. Some of the pics are a bit blurry, I did not use a flash for many, as I tried to capture the true ambiance. Well, after a few Mai Tais the ambiance is inherently blurry anyway.

Here's a montage of some of the drinks we enjoyed. That's a Mai Tai in the lower right, a Zombie in the green tiki mug, a South Pacific next to it. The lower left pic shows another Mai Tai and a Polynesian Passion. Served with your drink is an assortment of nuts and these rice cake things...they look, and taste, like contraceptive sponges. They're pretty though, like big foamy mushrooms.

Here's a shot of Nikos, Hellenic mixologist extraordinaire. Notice the authentic Orchids of Hawaii mugs in the back bar.

Nikos makes, no, he creates like the true artisan he is, a superb Mai Tai. Close your ears Mr. Bergeron, you ain't going to like this part. The Kona Kai Mai Tai is the best I have ever tasted. Voila, I give you the Kona Kai Mai Tai (cue "Also Sprach Zarathustra"):

Good, no great, news: it is sublime, ideal, fantabulous, delicious in a way one feels guilty it's so good. I mean this drink is so tasty, it makes you want to go home and slap your Mother...especially if she's a bartender. Bad news, it's 11.50 Euros. The Zombie, not made by Nikos, was so-so. They like their grenadine in Athens, I don't. The Polynesian Passion was also excellent, also made by Nikos. There's' a little forbidden place in Alameda that should cop this recipe. It is a superior libation, indeed. Overall, the Kona Kai is difficult to find, the drinks are pricey, the food more so, but save them nickels and get yourself to Athens and visit the Kona Kai. Have a Mai Tai, come back and tell me, "midnite, you was right!"

Further research was completed on the "Quest", all entries were worthwhile efforts, special marks go the lobster club, a decadent treat in gay Paris:

And here's a nice montage of the sights in Athens/Delphi. Pretty cool. No Tiki, but without Hellenic civilization where would we be? Savages I say, utter savages:

Thumbs up to Athens, a wild in-your-face sprawling mass of humanity with friendly folks and great history...plus Nikos at the Kona Kai. Paris, as always, is too beautiful for words. I may wish to spend my last days in Venice, but I just might want to die in Paris. Say, a fatal sugar overdose, brought on by one too many visits to Laduree.

The traveling circus that is my life is set for a brief adventure east, to an exotic island steeped in mystery. The passport is ready, got my shots, the Consulate has been notified. Candid pics to follow!

Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money,
midnite

EDIT: Photos replaced!

[ This Message was edited by: midnite_tiki 2008-06-05 23:26 ]

thejab

Posted: 2006-04-28 2:58 pm   Permalink

Great travelogue!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-30 3:57 pm   Permalink

A brief, exciting, and delicious trip to Isle de Alameda.

Never one to shy away from a long trek to distant and foreign shores I packed up the necessary provisions, enough American Dollars to pay off unsavory government officials, and made sure my shots and will were up to date. Then, with the air of adventure surrounding our departure, we headed off to points unknown, a faraway land of rumored tropical delights. Our destinaton:

After several modes of transportation including, but not limited to, motor coaches, trains, and bus, through land and (under) sea we alighted our public carrier and set off on foot. Due to a small miscalculation on my part, perhaps my navigational aids did not work in this mysterious Isle de Alameda, we prematurely disembarked the #51. More likely, I saw the street sign for "Lincoln", got overly excited and bolted from the bus. Following several arduous blocks travelled on foot the target of our journey was in sight. There in the distance, it was hard to make out, but I could see it just a bit...Forbidden Island. Finally, we were there!

Pulling open the door to this tropical oasis I was immediately hit by...darkness! It was still pretty sunny out in Alameda, took me a few moments to adjust. As my eyes became more accustomed to the dim lighting I could immediately see the fantastic Tiki Lounge that surrounded us. I saw a couple of familiar faces and was welcomed by the staff in a way befitting my position in the Traveling Tiki fraternity:.

This was, foremost, a drinking establishment. However, we did have the coconut shrimp, they are recommended for someone desiring a snack during their cocktail experience at Forbidden Island. Perusing the extensive drink menu I found it hard to decide. The goal: try as much as possible. So, with the help of some fellow Tiki-philes, I would imbibe until I fell down, had to go, or got kicked out. Not bad for one night's efforts, and some cocktails I sampled are not pictured:

Clockwise from top left: Classic Mai Tai, Hawaii Kai Treasure, Painkiller & Forbdidden Island, Chamborlada, Island Mai Tai, Headhunter, and Leilani Volcano.

The drinks were well-made by Forbidden Island's mixologist non-pariel, Sonya. Some are very good, a few are very very....more please, "Oh Momma!" good. I especially enjoyed the Hawaii Kai Treasure and the Forbidden Island. The signature drink by Martin is worthy of any fine Polynesian Drink menu. It is intense, but can be enjoyed by all, in my opinion. If you have just one cocktail (a bad idea) I'd would suggest the Forbidden Island. Still, one cannot go wrong with a Sidewinder's Fang or Painkiller. Mai Tai-wise: I would have to say the Island Mai Tai is a better choice by far. The Chamborlada is a unique concoction, probably best suited for sharing. It is sweet and may not be for all palates, but it is an interesting take on the Pina Colada. Michelle appreciated the Leilani Volcano quite a bit. The Krakatoa and Banana Mamacow are not for me, but seem to be very popular. I could go on, but it's just going to make me thirsty...and Alameda is far!

It was a long and fun-filled night. The best part of Forbidden Island, after the drinks, is the fine group of people one can meet there. Here's a few shots of the new friends I made. I don't recall all the names but I think that one of them is Mrs. Miley? It was a blast, seeing the sights of the best small Tiki Bar I have ever visited, helping customers select a fine libation, and seeing old (and new) friends. It was good to meet Weird Uncle Tiki, who is by no means weird, but may be an uncle. Conversing with the infamous, but less mysterious, "HL"...always a treat.

Forbidden Island is exactly what it attempts to be, a well-done Tiki Lounge established for the appreciation of fine tropical cocktails and good company. The decor is quite good, the mood right. Most of the jukebox is first-rate. It can be, good for them, crowded at times. There are enough top-notch drinks to satisfy even the most discriminatng tastes. One can search high and low, visiting much larger and more well-known establishemnts and still not be served a better cocktail than some of the Forbidden Island offerings. Drink prices are in-line with the costs of tropical cocktails at this level. Given the potency and quality of the product, a person will easily get their money's worth.

One will see a good assortment of clientele (a nice asset), and be able to easily hold a conversation. Music is loud enough to enjoy, but not distract. The setting is right, a nice mix of decor that does not overwhelm the senses. They could use some standing tables between the booths and bar, if practicable. The customers are, from what I could tell, there to truly enjoy the attributes Forbidden Island's operators have put together. People seemed happy to be there, and pleased such an environment exists. The vibe, the mood, the mix...whatever you call it, is what is bringing in the people.

I like it, and I will be back...in like eight or nine days.

midnite

EDIT: Trying to restore lost snappies.

[ This Message was edited by: midnite_tiki 2008-06-05 23:07 ]

midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-28 10:21 am   Permalink

There have been many, many, inquiries (roughly one) into when the next installment of the Global Journey is forthcoming. Along the lines of, "What's next on the travel plate?" Why, a club sandwich, of course!

Voila, it was a quick trip to the Valley of the Sun, Phoenix and its greater environs. Not the most spectacular excursion, but I did get in some golf. Yes, there was another entrant in the club sandwich review:

From the Phoenix Airport Sheraton. A solid, ya get what a pay for (and cheap), honest to goodness club. A nice American effort, sort of a Ford Taurus of clubs. It'll get ya where ya going, nothing fancy.

I wanted to check out the new Trader Vic's in Scottsdale, alas the timing was off by about three weeks. The scheduled opening for Vic's is June 4. Crap! Anyhoo, I did swing by the Valley Ho a couple of times. Certainly is a lot of construction going on at the property. I think it's a several story tall condo building being put in on the Southeast corner. No candid pics of Vic's as it is not open yet and I think one should see it as it is intended to be. Plus, it was difficult to capture many shots as I was running for my life, chased by Valley Ho security. Suffice is to say, I will be getting back to the Valley Ho (perhaps disguised) very soon to take in the waters, so to speak, of the new Trader Vic's.

Phoenix was sort of a Tiki-bust. So, let's salvage this post with our latest trip to the exotic shores of the mysterious Isle de Alameda and its favorite new drinking establishment: the world-renowned "Forbidden Island". Another Saturday night at "FI" and once again it does not disappoint. Peruse the latest Forbidden Island montage, and do pay special attention to the latest tiki, front and center as one enters FI, carved by TC's own Benzart. It is a nice addition to an already fabulous decor.

Clockwise from top left Saturn, Sidewinder's Fang, Don's Daiquiri, Rebecca*, Scorpion Bowl, Coronado Luau Special. A new cocktail for me, the Coronado Luau Special is a spectacular festival of orange and rum delights. Yummy!

*The lovely Mrs. Forbidden Island enjoying a special "Grad Grog". That would be Dr. Forbidden Island, PhD. to me.

A super fun night out. Good times, indeed. Forbidden Island...put it on your travel docket today.

midnite

midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-30 01:12 am   Permalink

Somewhere between Santayana and Tom Wolfe(the good writer) comes this latest installment: "Those who forget the past will relive it at a family reunion" aka "I told ya but you wouldn't listen, you can't go home again". Yes, it was a trip back to midnite's birthplace: Cape Canaveral, Fl. Pack up your mullet and denim cut-offs, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

I met up with my sister and her kids at WDW. Ya know, I hadn't ever visited Disney World, and honestly, I wondered why it took this long to figure out to never do it again. So, before any of you Disney lovers out there send me nasty emails here's some candid pics. Hey, at least I was able to get a cocktail, although not enough, in Walt's Happiest F*&#$ing! place on Earth. Ok, Polynesian Village is good, I admit it, a little.

A few shots of Polynesian Village, the closest I could get to Disney World, or whatever the drones make you call it now, without shaving my head, climbing a clocktower, or somesuch imagineering facsimile of true life, and taking as many overweight corn-fed Disney-ites with me. Plus the big rat, the big rat gets the first bullet, and the last, just in case.

This a nice shot of some OA pieces in the Ohana room, which is pretty cool considering it's in WDW and there was this big rat, did I tell ya about it?, walking around as people downed dozens of similarly rodent-shaped pancakes. Herds of hyped-on-syrup kids, oblivious or over-medicated parents, piles of rat head flapjacks, and several WDW characters sweating in those big rat suits. This was Dante's fourth, no fifth, level of hell. Die rat, die. Actually, the room was nice, and it was right next to the bar, which of course, wasn't open yet. Eff you, rodent, and your retarded canine pal.

Lunch, liquid lunch. Ok, some sane adult put a few alcoholic beverages on the menu. Thank you, Uncle Walt! I tried the Mai-Tai. It was satisfactory, anyplace else it would have been sub-par, but in this fevered dreamscape of screeching kids and poorly dressed Disney denizens, pure nectar. Earplugs, sunglasses, a seat at the bar or anywhere else they serve some adult beverages and I could just make it through, maybe, a day at this place. Half a day.

Alrighty, bye bye now! Yes, I will come back soon, see ya. Whew, finally out of Uncle Walt's paradise and off to Cocoa Beach for the ole family reunion. Reserved a room at Wakulla Suites. Ya get a good-sized two bedroom suite for a decent price, enough said. Loads of families, am seeing a trend here, but a big resin tiki that doubles as a shower. Could be worse, could be a 3-day weekend. What's that smell?

Wakulla Suites, in Cocoa Beach, town motto: "Hey, at least we're not that dump Cape Canaveral!" I could go on about the Cape, but Mom taught me not to speak ill of the dead. I was born here?

Several hours in Disney World, no club sandwich, seeing my old neighborhood (there are peacocks roaming the yards), some decent stuff at Polynesian Village, visiting with long lost family (ya know there is a reason for that)....hmmm, can I get an earlier flight out? Oh, and what is at SFO, in the international terminal? The Tiki exhibit.

More Disney, eek!, but at least there's a pic of Jack Lord.

I was born here, no really?
Uncle midnite

EDIT: More lost snappies!

[ This Message was edited by: midnite_tiki 2008-06-05 23:16 ]

thejab

Posted: 2006-06-30 3:19 pm   Permalink

I love it! Welcome back to reality and San Francisco - the amusement park for adults!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-30 5:02 pm   Permalink

Thanks for a great post, I can't wait to read it all through throughly

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-16 2:48 pm   Permalink

The next big travel adventure is more than a month away so we have to adlib a bit. Seeing that many TC'ers will be traveling to the Crawl this week, here's what awaits in one tropical corner of Alameda:

The new Forbidden Island mural

Finally, after several weeks away. A fine night of fine drinking. Clockwise, from the right: Navy Grog, good but with the Captain's Grog on the menu, always the "Avis" of Grogs; Spindrift, a mighty cocktail (for two) but very tasty, loads of vanilla and spice goodness, behind the glass is the always lovely Haleo'akamia; Macadamia Nut Chi-Chi, made with rum, sweet and nutty, Mango Daiquiri, yummy, maybe my favorite daiquiri.

That leaves five or six drinks remaining on the menu for yours truly. I will reach the summit soon, and I'll do it without oxygen. Everyone travel safely to the Crawl, looking forward to the fun.

The old guy at the end of the bar,
midnite

EDIT: A few more pictures salvaged.

[ This Message was edited by: midnite_tiki 2008-06-05 23:31 ]

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-17 10:13 am   Permalink

Great thread midnight! Truly enjoyed it and all the photos. Well... except for the Disney rants. But (most) everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Keep 'em coming.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation