FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Shag & Other Lowbrow Art question to ponder...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Shag & Other Lowbrow Art question to ponder...
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-18 05:05 am   Permalink

Something is strange about that Mark painting. Its probably actually harder to make a copy of something because their is only one right look. And the colors would take 500% more time to mix to match. Its too dead on. But it would still be nice to own. Maybe.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aikiman44
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-18 06:41 am   Permalink

As long as the original/prints are not availabe, and this is labeled a copy, I don't see a problem with it. There's no competition with the original artist who's selling originals. Of course it's not labeled, I guess they're afraid. Anyway, this would look great in my almost done lounge/bar, so I'm bidding!

View Profile of aikiman44 Send a personal message to aikiman44  Email aikiman44 Goto the website of aikiman44     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-18 07:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-18 06:41, aikiman44 wrote:
As long as the original/prints are not availabe, and this is labeled a copy, I don't see a problem with it. There's no competition with the original artist who's selling originals. Of course it's not labeled, I guess they're afraid. Anyway, this would look great in my almost done lounge/bar, so I'm bidding!

As an artist (a crap one, but an artist just the same), I have big issues with this. Some guy has put hard yards into making great pieces of art and extending his skill so some turkey can copy it and sell it for their own measly profit. They make no attempt at all to mention it is a reproduction (read rip off).

This guy is stealing. Buying stuff from him endorses that behaviour. That aint right.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-18 08:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On Apr-18-06 at 05:50:49 PDT, seller added the following information:
This is a copy of Mark Ryden's Exotica. It is not an exact copy. To compare this to Mark Ryden's work, you can do a web search for "Mark Ryden Exotica". Even though this is a partial copy, it is an amazing work of art. Guaranteed to liven up any room, lounge, or party.
---
On Apr-18-06 at 06:17:45 PDT, seller added the following information:
This is a picture Mark Ryden's "Exotica". He is indeed THE master and hopefully will be flattered and not insulted by my copy here on eBay.

Im gonna try and get into contact with Mark Ryden and see how flattered he is...

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-18 08:08 am   Permalink

Pizz copies anyone? Yep, the same seller. Apparently not a guy just getting rid of his own copy, which he originally painted because he wanted a cheap version...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Low-Brow-Pop-Art-Oil-Paintings-Pizz-Copy-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ7407825412QQcategoryZ20135QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-18 08:40 am   Permalink

Nevermind. It's all very sad.

[ This Message was edited by: foamy 2006-04-18 08:49 ]

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aikiman44
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-18 09:03 am   Permalink

I'm a modeler and I do not buy recasts of currently selling kits because I won't rip off the original artist. I think it's the same priciple here. Since the Exotica print is not available from Ryden or his representatives, or selling anywhere, is this ripping off the artist? As this copy is not in competition with the artist's originals, I don't think there's a downside. Again, the seller should say this is a 'copy' of Ryden's Exotica and give credit where credit's due. Aside from that, is this an 'illegal' copy? What is the law in these cases?

View Profile of aikiman44 Send a personal message to aikiman44  Email aikiman44 Goto the website of aikiman44     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-18 09:59 am   Permalink

Copyright infringement might be an issue in a court of law. Granted, I noticed they changed subtle elements in the Ryden piece, but I don't think that would stand up in court, if it ever came to that. The seller didn't mention or give credit to the original artist until it was mentioned to them. They don't say who painted it. Embarrassed, I guess. Whoever is doing it has skills—lots. What happened to their own creativity and imagination that they have to copy set pieces? It's a money thing. An easy way out. With me, it's an honor thing. You don't copy and market a living artist's work. It's just wrong. It's one of the reasons why prints of noted artists fetch good prices on ebay. When they're sold out, you have to pay what the market will bear.

Let's suppose I closely copied one of Miles most noted works (if I could) and threw it up on ebay. How would people on this board react then? What do you think Miles would have to say?

Once again, it's probably just me.

[ This Message was edited by: foamy 2006-04-18 10:08 ]

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aikiman44
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-18 1:00 pm   Permalink

You make some good points, anyway, it's been removed from eBay.

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-19 04:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-18 13:00, aikiman44 wrote:
You make some good points, anyway, it's been removed from eBay.

Yep, I have had messages from both Mark Ryden's people and The Pizz himself, and both are taking action. The Pizz pieces are still up, but don't expect them to be there long. The Pizz had a great laugh at it actually, and commented that they actually might be better than the originals

Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-19 06:43 am   Permalink

The worst is when people try to Rip-Off the cutting edge style and panache of..."The Painter of Light"

Nobody captures the tru-life details of pixie cottages in forests like him. You can tell each one is a serious collectors piece, because it sez so.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation