FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Recipe: Jungle Madness (by Pappy)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Recipe: Jungle Madness (by Pappy)
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-12 02:31 am   Permalink

"Sometimes madness is the only path out. Let the bubbles help you on your way."

1 oz. Triple Sec (I used Bols)
1 oz. 151 Rum (I used Bacardi)
1 oz. unsweetened pineapple juice (I used house brand)
1 oz. lemon juice (I tried fresh and bottled--fresh better)
1 tbsp. coconut cream (Coco Lopez)
1 tsp. molasses (Brer Rabbit blackstrap)
4 ice cubes
soda (Polar)

Add triple sec, rum and juices to shaker. Crush ice and add. Put in coconut cream and molasses and shake before molasses hits bottom or it will stick. Serve in tall tiki mug and float some soda on top. Garnish with anything leafy.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the drink I've been working on. I wanted it to:
-have a cool name
-taste substantially different than other drinks
-use at least one ingredient (molasses) that's (almost) never used
-be easy to make
-have cheap ingredients
-be something I actually like

So if just ONE other person tries this and tells me they like it, all that liquor I wasted won't have been in vain. Don't skip the molasses and don't add too much. Like pernod, it will wreck the drink if you're not careful. It's a pain to measure out so err on the side of less.

[ This Message was edited by: pappythesailor 2006-04-12 11:22 ]

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-04-12 10:33 am   Permalink

What kind of Molasses do you use?

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-12 11:23 am   Permalink

Sorry. I edited recipe. If it doesn't taste good, you're using the wrong ice cubes.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-12 12:25 pm   Permalink

Hey Pappy, you ever get ahold of that Cruzan Black Strap rum? It would work in place of your mollases most likely and be easier to deal with in the shaker. It has a strong molasses taste and is generally hard to utilize as it is so dominant.

I think you may have a cocktail here that would make use of it.

Just a thought.

Ahu

Fraternal Order of Moai

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-13 09:41 am   Permalink

Sounds expensive--molasses is cheap. This is a cheap drink. Like me--cheap, cheap, cheap.

KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-13 10:18 am   Permalink

Hmm.. I dunno about the price on it out your way, but here in Kahikitown it retails for around 10-15 simolians. And that is mighty cheap for a fifth in my book.

Not to mention you'd need only a half ounce or so per drink to get that mollasses flavor you are after.

Like I said.. just a thought.

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-13 11:18 am   Permalink

That horrid rum (Molasses Liqueur as Humuhumu called it) is usually $8-10 at some places, Trader Yossi's (Joe's) for example. At least it used to be. If you found a way to use it in a drink, a lot of us would thank you for helping us get rid of it

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-13 12:17 pm   Permalink

The drink's only a day old & I gotta go back to formula...

At least try one and tell me it stinks.

kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-13 12:29 pm   Permalink

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. Can't try it, don't have molasses.
Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-13 12:39 pm   Permalink

But how do you make Boston Baked Beans?

Don't sweat it--I'm too much of a &%#@ myself to get offended easily!

KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-13 1:25 pm   Permalink

I have all of those ingredients on hand. I'll try it. And if it stinks, I'll tell you.

Chances are though, judging from the recipe alone, that I will critique it a bit. I hope ya don't mind, but if you really want me to open a can of Lopez for just one Tbsp.. well...

-grin-

I'm gonna guess that I'll find it too sweet for my tastes and not boozey enough. I also don't see anything that says bitter or earthy that would give it the background it needs for all the sweet and bright flavors. But take that with a grain of salt, I only know what I know and that isn't worth very much. And I've been wrong about a drink plenty of times. So we'll see. Give me til Monday.

Ahu

The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-17 1:57 pm   Permalink

Hey Pappy, we're on our way to the Supermarket to buy molasses.

I'm looking forward to an evening of Jungle Madness.

I'll post my critique either late tonight or tomorrow!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-17 2:29 pm   Permalink

I'm dying to try one of these in Pappy's lounge:) Til then I'll have to hit the store 'cause molasses is currently not in my cupboard. Sounds like a tasty drink though man!

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-17 5:50 pm   Permalink

Okay, we just finished trying it!

On the whole, this is a viable addition to any tiki bar drink menu.

For those that are concerned about it being too sweet, I don't believe it is. In fact, the lemon gives it a sour vibe.

I found that being exact was very important to this drink, which may be true of all great tiki cocktails. The first one we made, I may have had a little too much lemon and not enough cream of coconut. (The Coco Lopez I used did not mix very well) but on my second attempt, I used the more liquid portion of the Coco Lopez (bottom of the can) which mixed better, and created a better outcome.

I may disagree with Pappy's assertion to err on the side of less Molasses. Any less than the recommended one teaspoon and I think you wouldn't taste/smell the molasses enough.

I found the drink slightly too tart, due to the lemon. But keep in mind, I have a sweet tooth, and most of the time we're blending bananas with coconut rum and pineapple juice over here! The first tiki drink I invented had chocolate syrup in it!!!

The 151 gave it a nice kick without overpowering the overall taste.

That first stab I took at it (the one with too much lemon and not enough coconut)was easily remedied by adding some coconut rum to it.

I think my second attempt was pretty much what Pappy created.

A third attempt, which Kate mixed, used the blender and some more ice to make a kind of "Jungle Madness Smoothie" which tasted basically the same.

In closing, thanks for the new drink recipe Pappy, I'm buzzed.

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-19 07:17 am   Permalink

Hooray! and thanks

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation