FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Redwood Burl Moai Profiles
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Redwood Burl Moai Profiles
J.S.G.
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-14 4:52 pm   Permalink

I meant to write your tiki poles are great too. Nice clean style. Your chair idea is fantastic, it's fun to work large.

Yes, I like to work in redwood. About once a year I head down to the Redwoods, visit friends, etc. A great place to be.

Thanks for looking at my work. Happy carving.

View Profile of J.S.G. Send a personal message to J.S.G.  Email J.S.G. Goto the website of J.S.G.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki G.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 4:32 pm   Permalink

Bump for Will. Man your stuff always rocks. Diggin' it. You and quite a few others on here deserve be on the first page of this forum.

Go get'em bro.......

G.

View Profile of Tiki G. Send a personal message to Tiki G.  Email Tiki G. Goto the website of Tiki G.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SCTikiShack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-10 2:42 pm   Permalink

Tiki Enthusiasts,

Hopefully life is treating you well. Over here on the central west coast there are waves, thus life is good.

I just wanted to post a few pictures of some more profiles that I kicked down to some large customers as a thanks.

This first one has a blue topaz inlaid into its ear.

Here are a couple of pictures of the other two.

Below are the tikis that this customer had custom made. They are ten feet tall by two feet wide give or take a few inches. Being that they weigh around one thousand pounds each, it was a chore moving and delivering these bad boys. Normally, I like to carve a bit deeper, but these have to be cut in half and bored out so they can wrap around a six inch metal support beam.

Thanks for check out my topic.

Will
SCtikis

View Profile of SCTikiShack Send a personal message to SCTikiShack  Email SCTikiShack Goto the website of SCTikiShack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki G.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-10 3:29 pm   Permalink

Awesome Will! Dang those are some big logs. How did you move'em around?

View Profile of Tiki G. Send a personal message to Tiki G.  Email Tiki G. Goto the website of Tiki G.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SCTikiShack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-10 4:04 pm   Permalink

Tiki G,

What a hassle it was moving these logs around. I first had to move them off of a steep hillside with a winch and then a backhoe/tractor. They were then place on 4*4's so I could roll them around manually to carve them.
Loading them in a U-Haul, to deliver them was a bitch, the road to my carving spot was really muddy so I first had to load these tikis into my pickup and then drive them down the hill. When we got to the bottom we had to manually push them into the U_Haul from the back of my Dodge 2500. Luckily, my good friend Gabe and I are kind of moose's so we were able to somehow get them in the back of the delivery truck.
As you have probably noticed, moving around big logs makes you quite strong. I like to use the analogy of Conan the Barbarian (Our Governator) working in the slave camps getting stronger and stronger.

Thank you for the plugs it feels good coming from a great carver such as yourself.

Will

View Profile of SCTikiShack Send a personal message to SCTikiShack  Email SCTikiShack Goto the website of SCTikiShack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-10 4:10 pm   Permalink

Man, that Burl looks good when it's finished. Great Job!

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-10 8:56 pm   Permalink

Are those 10 footers the tikis you are carving for a certain well known tiki establishment??

The burls have an incredible grain. The lightning bolt shaped light colored vein near the mouth in the second pic is really cool. Funny how that works out sometimes. I really get off on wood grain sometimes!

Thanks for sharing your wares!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-10 9:47 pm   Permalink

WOW!!!! my neck hurts from turning my head sideways to stare at those amazing 10 footers. Cant wait to see them installed where ever they are going.
Thanks for sharing Will.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-10 9:56 pm   Permalink

That's some really great stuff there Will... way cool!

Love the burls and the incredible grain you've got going!

And the tikis.... too much for words.

1000 pounds!? I'm struggling to get these 300 lb beasts into the basement... you guys are throwing around 1000 pound logs!

Good to hear about the waves... is that the continuation of the south swell that has been going on?

We're due for some Thursday... looks like it will be victory at sea here though... maybe a no go for me...

LAKE MICHIGAN FORECAST BEYOND FIVE NAUTICAL MILES FROM SHORE

SYNOPSIS
LOW PRESSURE OF 29.4 INCHES OVER SOUTHERN INDIANA WILL
RAPIDLY DEEPEN TO 29.0 INCHES AS IT REACHES SOUTHWEST LOWER
MICHIGAN THURSDAY MORNING.

GALE WARNING IN EFFECT THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING

OVERNIGHT
NORTH WINDS 30 KNOTS BECOMING NORTHWEST GALES TO
40 KNOTS AFTER MIDNIGHT. WIDESPREAD RAIN AND SCATTERED
THUNDERSTORMS. WAVES BUILDING TO 8 TO 12 FEET.

THURSDAY
WEST GALES TO 40 KNOTS. RAIN. WAVES 10 TO 14 FEET.

THURSDAY NIGHT
SOUTHWEST WINDS 30 KNOTS. RAIN SHOWERS LIKELY.
WAVES 7 TO 10 FEET.

*The idols will be on their way to you soon... I'm getting prepped for a big job but will finish up the sealer on them this week.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SCTikiShack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-11 11:43 am   Permalink

Tikimecula,
I am love with redwood burl. It is like what Forrest Gump says "you never know what your gonna get". In its rough form the burls don't look like much, but once sanded all kinds of patterns start to emerge.

A.A.,
Yes, those would be the tikis. I am biting my tongue because I don't want to jinx myself. Once they are all split and in place I will reveal their new home. Right now, they are sitting in the hot Arizona sun. I hope that they don't split too bad. Fortunately redwood seems to hold it's shape pretty well and tends not to split too much. Unfortunately, I usually have to carve them a little wet to ensure that the sapwood is still intact and not rotted away.

Rodeo,
Did you get your carving bar yet?
You'll be amazed how more detail you can get with one of those bad boys.
Sorry I couldn't post a picture of them standing up and I gave you a stiff neck. I had no means of elevating them. I'm holding my breath to see them standing.

Lake,
It almost seems easier moving a these logs then a 300lb one. When they are this heavy, you have to use some heavy equipment, thus saving your back for the most part. The tiki with the tongue was the heavy mottha it was probably around 1200 lbs. I'm anxious to see what you are going to create with your recently acquired big logs, I'm sure they are going to be killer.

Waves today are flat. I guess we are kind of spoiled around here. We go nuts and start to feel sorry for ourselves if there are no waves for a few days. Good luck on the upcoming storm, get some lefts off of that jetty that I saw in the surfshop pics.

P.M. me your address so I can send you some duckets.

Thanks,
Will

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-03 8:18 pm   Permalink

Bump

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-03 8:20 pm   Permalink

those are beautiful! all of 'em

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hula Cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-04 12:49 am   Permalink

Fabulous work!.....but being a wimp I'll start with balsa and a butter knife! .....but really it'll be pine , maple , oak , or birch here in Vt. and a saws all and chisels....... hope to have half the style you show..... Aloha

View Profile of Hula Cat Send a personal message to Hula Cat  Email Hula Cat Goto the website of Hula Cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-05 06:01 am   Permalink

Fabulous tikis! How on Earth will those be cut in half and how noticable will the cut be once they're put back together? Beautiful work.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-05 2:19 pm   Permalink

That's some really fine stuff there... the finish on the close up of the burl moai is really fantastic. I'm going to have to try some of that stuff...

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation