Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Picasso's famous tiki
Picasso's famous tiki
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-14 03:45 am   Permalink

I guess you remember the famous marquesian tiki Picasso used to love (as seen on the BOT with Brigitte Bardot and Apollinaire : ).

Well lots of people, including myself were wondering what happened with this statue, and would I be able to find it someday in a flea market !!!
Well, it's still in Picasso's family, as Tahiti-pacifique magazine told on an article with pictures from novembre 2005.
It seems that this tiki is a pre-contact one, considering the shape of it, and the used of tool, probably early 19th century. Nobody knows exactly how Picasso got it, but we know he was really in love with that object. It might have some points wears earings. It's 72 cm high and 30 cm diametre. And here it is now :

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-14 05:20 am   Permalink

way cool v, thanks!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-14 05:50 am   Permalink

Picasso was always a man ahead of his time. I'm surprised that tiki imagery doesn't turn up in Dali's work. Or does it?

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-14 10:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-14 05:50, MrBaliHai wrote:
Picasso was always a man ahead of his time. I'm surprised that tiki imagery doesn't turn up in Dali's work. Or does it?

Oddly enough, if you type "dali tiki" into the Google Image Search this is one of the images that turns up:

I have to admit that Flounder has some of the most Dali-esque Tikis.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-14 10:30 am   Permalink

Curiously, it also appears in Volume III of Karl von den Steinen's "The Marquesans and Their Art" from 1928, with the caption "Im Handel", meaning "on the market", which cannot be, if it has been in Picasso's posession since 1910 ...!?

This Tiki would be my personal holy grail, I think.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-14 11:27 am   Permalink

yes, at least 1911, as the picture of Apollinaire's visit is from that year.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-25 9:02 pm   Permalink

I just found this on Amazon. Picasso's Collection of African And Oceanic Art by Peter Stepan.

"Although he never set foot in Africa, Picasso had a passion for African art. Throughout the course of his life he assembled a unique collection of statues and masks. Comprising more than 120 objects, Picasso’s private collection can now be found in museums in Paris such as the Louvre, Musée Quai Branly and the Musée Picasso, as well as in the private collections of members of Picasso’s family. This beautiful book documents the entire collection and examines it as a whole. It features documentary photographs, a section of stunning color plates, and detailed ethnographic descriptions of each piece, providing a full account of Picasso’s relationship with African and Oceanic art. This important publication sheds new light on the fascination non-Western art held for one of twentieth century’s most important artists."

The book is not out yet, but Amazon is taking pre-orders for $53.55 with free shipping. The list price will be $85.00.

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-25 9:33 pm   Permalink

AA, thanks for the great info. regarding this post. I particularly enjoyed Michael Hamson's website. Great art collection.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tahitiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-07-30 7:44 pm   Permalink

Anybody knows where I can see a back view of Picasso 's tiki? or side view, anything would help.
Thanks.

View Profile of Tahitiki Send a personal message to Tahitiki  Email Tahitiki Goto the website of Tahitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-17 05:46 am   Permalink

Picasso's Tiki is no longer in Picasso's collection...

Where is it now?

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-17 10:24 am   Permalink

In 2006 it was noted to be in the collection of Maya Picasso (in the family, like Virani said)...so does that constitute "Formerly, collection Pablo Picasso"? Or was it sold. It must be worth quite a chunk, as Picasso's "muse", and as a pre-contact Tiki.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Jim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-20 11:09 pm   Permalink

Now, that is way hip!

View Profile of Haole Jim Send a personal message to Haole Jim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation