FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Archeology-The Trade Winds-Oxnard, Ca (Image Heavy)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tiki Archeology-The Trade Winds-Oxnard, Ca (Image Heavy)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-13 6:40 pm   Permalink

Found a few more cool Tiki ads from the Trade Winds.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Jim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-15 7:30 pm   Permalink

What fab Tiki-archaeology!

Thank you!

View Profile of Haole Jim Send a personal message to Haole Jim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-28 9:27 pm   Permalink

I dug up a few more old news stories and photos from the Trade Winds.

An early architectural rendering of the building with a scheduled trip around the globe By Mr. Smith to collect artifacts for the restaurant. This early story lists the restaurant designer as Cliff and Lou Sawyer, but that didn't pan out.

Some more entertainment, including Arthur Lyman.

The Johnny Ukelele all star review.

Dave Pele with Ernie Menehune on deck.

Now here is where it gets a little interesting. This ad lists the new owners as Mike and Dale.

And this ad lists Hop Louie as the owner. First time I have seen the name in the ads.

Coming full circle, a story from 1977 when the restaurant became a Don the Beachcombers.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2012-01-28 21:38 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-29 07:43 am   Permalink

I think I've got the Trade Winds timeline figured out from the info posted previously and articles in the Oxnard Press Courier.

1963 - Bud Smith initiates designs on the new Trade Winds after travelling the world and the South Seas. Hires an all-star ensemble of architects, designers and Tiki carvers.

1964 - Trade Winds opens, operated by Bud Smith.

1968 - Hop Louie takes over and remodels the restaurant with more Tiki. Brings in big name acts such as Arthur Lyman and Ernie Menehune.

1975 - Ad surfaces showing Mike and Dale as the proprietors of the Trade Winds.

1977 - Don The Beachcombers surfaces briefly.

1978 - Coconut Joe's Warehouse opens with a remodeled warehouse theme.

1979 - The Ice Cream Store replaces Coconut Joe's as a wholesome, clean family restaurant.

1981 - Hawaiian Cowboy replaces the Ice Cream Shop. It closes in 1982.

1984 - The Trade Winds building is demolished.

Here are a few more clippings to round out the story.

Article on Hop Louie and Minnie Woo taking over.

Of course Hop Louie and a direct connection to Arthur Lyman at the time, having just recorded his second album at Hop Louie's Latitude 20 restaurant.

Ernie Menehune

Coconut Joe's Warehouse.

The Ice Cream Store.

And a 1984 article summarizing the history.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2012-01-29 07:44 ]

Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-29 08:47 am   Permalink

Nice work DC,

The Coconut Joe's Warehouse guy sounds like an idiot!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-29 10:23 am   Permalink

http://tikiroom.com/img/75777x4f1c386f.jpg
http://tikiroom.com/img/8169x4f256711.jpg

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Diablo 2012-01-29 10:25 ]

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-29 7:58 pm   Permalink

When I saw that Tiki at the auction house site, I thought it was an old one, too.

The one they repeatedly used in the Tradewinds ads was swiped from a Tahitian Village Downey menu:

It has that classic Milan Guanko "helmet", and I believe I found it (or one very much like it) in the 90s in the Tahitian Village Motel courtyard.
Time had not been kind to it.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-30 10:18 am   Permalink

WOW!!!

Great research on the Tradewinds and Arthur Lyman connection Dusty!! Mucho Mahalo!!

Anyway of getting better pics of the Arthur Lyman Group? The one at the Ilikai hotel.

This is all extremely cool!!

Even Ernie Menehune was there too!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Central 2012-01-30 10:20 ]

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-16 11:53 am   Permalink

This thread is required reading for anyone on next week's Ventura bus crawl.

It's your Tiki homework assignment !! It will all make sense next Saturday (3/24).

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-16 5:37 pm   Permalink

Tell'em, John-O! By the way, did ya see the new Hukilau mug by Danny Gallardo?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-17 2:48 pm   Permalink

Trade Winds Mugs

Trade Winds Grog List

I think Bosko has that last cup. Would have been cool to stay at the Wagon Wheel Motel,
get picked up in the Ricshaw for drinks in the Junk, dinner inside. watch the floor show
and pick up something from the gift shop on the way out.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-23 09:10 am   Permalink

I finally found a few of the images for the Trade Winds that I had posted a few years ago...

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kohalacharms
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-23 3:00 pm   Permalink

Exceptional photos; thanks.

View Profile of kohalacharms Send a personal message to kohalacharms      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-24 07:57 am   Permalink

BongoFury,

Thanks so much for re-posting all of those great old photos.

Here is another color shot from Ojaitimo's site.

And of course this thread would not be complete without your Trade Winds Tiki (couldn't have gone to a better home!)

Which was proudly featured as the 2012 Hukilau mug.

And a few more ads. This one is for Prince Tafili and the Royal Samoan's.

And the Guys and Dolls.

This group was comprised of singers from the Adolpho Camarillo High School Group called the Today Generation. There website has this description of the Trade Winds.

I remember in going to the Trade Winds Restaurant in Oxnard. John Stanewich was performing with other classmates as the Guys & Dolls. They were a house favorite. The restaurant was an A-frame architecture with large palm trees. It had tiki torches, a koi fish pond under a little bridge leading to the entrance which set the mood. It was a Polynesian palace with bamboo, fountains and gigantic tropical fish tanks. There were singers, hula girls, and spell binding floor shows with fire dancers. My favorite part of this experience was drinking out of hollowed-out pineapples. The gazebo was the Samoa Hut and had a water feature around it on the plan as did the curved bar behind it (tempura bar on left, Somoa waterfall on right behind bar). The Zanzibar room in the back had it's own bar and fireplace. There was also an East Indies Room, another room that I can't quite read (Secte Trompsoy Room?), dance floor and stage area, gift shop, a liquor room, office, dressing areas, a huge kitchen and service bar, porter and gardner room., and storage. Looks like it had a covered car port/valet area like the Mai Kai also. The Trade Winds has since been demolished yet the palm trees are still there.

DC

PollyJoyceAnnA

Posted: 2012-06-24 7:35 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys for posting!

View Profile of PollyJoyceAnnA Send a personal message to PollyJoyceAnnA  Email PollyJoyceAnnA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation