FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Hawaiian Hut, Honolulu, HI (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Hawaiian Hut, Honolulu, HI (restaurant)
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-31 5:23 pm   Permalink

That's is very disappointing news about this vintage tiki temple. We can build all the new places we want but there are only so many original vintage temples left.

It would be nice if they could all be protected, preserved, and given their proper respect as endangered historical landmarks.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brice
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-03-31 5:33 pm   Permalink

It is just a shame. We saw it about six months ago and several of the outdoor pieces had fallen victim to termites. I was wondering if anybody had any leads on where the decor was sold off too? We are calling the Ala Mona Hotel to see if we can track down some of those golden pieces of history before being put on some Jimmy Buffet beach cruise boat.

View Profile of Brice Send a personal message to Brice      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brice

Posted: 2010-03-31 5:42 pm   Permalink

Just got off the phone with some wonderful people who broke the bad news to me that at the end of the auction they were just giving things away. We have a call into the Synagogue, in hopes to locate some of the items. Will let you all know more as soon as I do. Fingers crossed!

View Profile of Brice Send a personal message to Brice      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bkoahu

Posted: 2010-03-31 8:48 pm   Permalink

Saw many items being tossed into the dumpster on Kona Street side when the sale ended. Went back to see if the container was still there, NO LUCK - IT'S GONE!!! ALOHA Hawaiian Hut!

View Profile of bkoahu Send a personal message to bkoahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-23 9:22 pm   Permalink

Glad I stuck my head in the last time I was in Waikiki, when I stayed at the Hawaiiana.
Now, both are gone.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-24 10:56 am   Permalink

I think these may be from the Hawaiian Hut. On craigslist now with quite a silly price.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/atq/1755009890.html

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brice

Posted: 2010-05-24 11:17 am   Permalink

Those are from the Hawaiian Hut. We have been talking with the new owners who think they are sitting on gold. I am sad to say it is going to be a Synagogue. I don't think those tikis can hold the Torah. Does anybody know the identity of the carver? I know they have been repainted. We've been trying to preserve some items from this historic space but at these prices they'll probably end up going to some rich haole who wants to leave them on his lanai....

tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-24 12:11 pm   Permalink

Wow, after looking at the pictures again on page 1, it is such a bummer about this place. What an amazing Tiki temple.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-24 2:21 pm   Permalink

Very very sad .It always sucks when you hear of places like this closing .When you hear
of all those beautiful carved panels and artifacts tossed ....it's just a crying shame
really .I am even more bummed, because I have never been to the hut.
Such a cool place .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kohalacharms
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-24 3:47 pm   Permalink

FYI... the seller disclosed he is not willing to ship the pole.

View Profile of kohalacharms Send a personal message to kohalacharms      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-24 4:52 pm   Permalink

I like the fact that he is advertising the poles as "ancient" Well in that case...
They're gonna get much more ancient because they're just gonna sit there.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brice

Posted: 2010-05-31 5:34 pm   Permalink

We have been in contact with the rabbi, and they are selling many individual pieces from the Hawaiian Hut interior. We've just purchased several, and they seem to have become MUCH more realistic/negotiable on pricing. Shipping is still up to the buyer, but I can say they are accomodating us.

Here are some photos I have from the seller, for pieces that are still available. They also have framed tapa and other smaller items that I don't have photos of; you can ask the rabbi's son, Dovid, about them. If anyone is interested in rescuing more memorabilia from this tiki landmark, the seller has asked that you contact them at
dovidtilson@gmail.com. I'd love to see the tiki room big enough for that shell chandelier!

These are large and small plaques used here as trim

Close-up of the trim plaques

Shell chandelier

Multiple available; approx. 7' tall

approx. 6' tall

1 available

approx. 5' tall x 2.5' wide

15 ft wide, two connecting boards

And finally, here's a link to Don Tiki performing live @ the Hawaiian Hut, so you can see some of these items in context:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81a8RrgcUJY&feature=player_embedded

LiddleLola
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-02 12:38 am   Permalink

Wow! Look at the resemblance of the carpet.

I am definitely interested in salvaging something from this restaurant now.

Thanks for posting those pics.

Darilyn

View Profile of LiddleLola Send a personal message to LiddleLola      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LiddleLola
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-02 10:23 pm   Permalink

I think you should post these items in the general tiki section to get more attention. The new owner said they will start demo in 2 weeks. Not much time to make sure these things get good homes.

Darilyn

View Profile of LiddleLola Send a personal message to LiddleLola      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brice

Posted: 2010-06-03 11:36 pm   Permalink

You *definitely* have to rescue a piece or two now -- you already know how it'll look in your room! Thx for the suggestion; will repost.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation