FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving "Creating" Resource: DIY Metal Casting! Check out what they mould!
"Creating" Resource: DIY Metal Casting! Check out what they mould!
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-17 02:55 am   Permalink

I was cruisng the net looking for info on making my own hot rod club plaques when I came across this website - Foundry 101. Great website on casting your own metal works.

http://foundry101.com

I reckon some of the talented TC artists could make some cool cast aluminium tiki stuff.

I thought this may be of interest in particular to the mug makers too - check out some of the shapes they can make! This link shows them making a mould of a spoon in a cup and saucer in one go - all those "negative" areas!

http://foundry101.com/racert2.htm

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-17 05:31 am   Permalink

i did some aluminum casting last year - it's REALLY cool and a lot of fun. no need to worry about the undercuts and seams in the same way as slipcasting. at near 1500 degrees F, aluminum doesn't even glow red hot - it looks like mercury - pretty neat.

it was unfortunately not until the end of the semester that we got to actually use the furnace and everything, so i only made one project:

the one on the left is aluminum, the two on the right are different types of resin.

[ This Message was edited by: Rain 2006-04-17 05:33 ]

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-04-17 05:55 am   Permalink

That's cool! I have been thinking about building my own backyard foundry - I know a guy that did it and it is quite successful. Here's alike to the place for plans:

http://www.geocities.com/zoellerforge/simplegasforge.html

This is pretty cool!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-17 3:46 pm   Permalink

Why isn't the process of using sand mould used for mugs? Imagine a mug making world where there was no undercuts!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-04-19 4:11 pm   Permalink

So surprised to see this post! I was bitten by the "bronze bug" in college and have enjoyed sculpting in metal ever since. SO rewarding - there is noting like the permanence of metal. In fact, I am cooking up some stainless steel Tiki shot glasses! They will be lost wax cast - not sand cast. I'll post pictures as they take shape, of course!

VanTiki

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 07:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-19 16:11, VanTiki wrote:
In fact, I am cooking up some stainless steel Tiki shot glasses! They will be lost wax cast - not sand cast. I'll post pictures as they take shape, of course!

that's how i did the moai - lost wax from a silica/ceramic shell. the wax was actually slush-cast in a rubber mold i made from a plasteline original sculpt, though (whew). i'm can't wait to see your shot glasses!

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation