[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » More about Mai Tais, sorry
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
More about Mai Tais, sorry
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 1:36 pm   Permalink

Manhattan is a serious old man/Rat Pack drink...but they are amazingly GOOD if made right

definitely RYE though--not whisky/scotch or anything else ....& bitters

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 4:10 pm   Permalink

the great straw debate

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 4:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-20 10:56, Chip and Andy wrote:
The 'original' recipe for a Mai-Tai is surprisingly simple... And, the recipe in question is some rum, lime, flavorings and garnish. Nothing fancy, nothing exotic, but when mixed together well, you pour something more than the sum of it's parts.

So, to the point I want to make in reference to pineapple....To many people/bars/books/etc... are using the Mai-Tai name as some sort of 'generic' cocktail name for something with rum in it. Is the Mai-Tai becoming the Martini of the Tiki Bar? And, speaking of martini's... just because it is served in a martini glass does not make it a martini. It is a cocktail in a martini glass. So, to continue, just because you modified your recipe for todays bar tending practices and add pineapple and grenadine does not mean it is a Mai-Tai. It may be Mai-Tai like... Mai-Tai flavored.... Mai-Tai insipired.... Whatever you want to call it, it is something other than a Mai-Tai.

Well put, Chip!

I second that, and move that we adjourn to the bar for further evidence.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 4:57 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:40 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grenadine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-02 3:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-20 13:36, bb moondog wrote:
Manhattan is a serious old man/Rat Pack drink...but they are amazingly GOOD if made right

definitely RYE though--not whisky/scotch or anything else ....& bitters

Amen to that. I don't even bother ordering Manhattans in bars anymore. I just make 'em at home. It also irks me that I always have to specify GIN Gimlet these days. The bloody Gimlet originated as a gin drink!

View Profile of Grenadine Send a personal message to Grenadine  Goto the website of Grenadine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-05-02 3:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-02 15:08, Grenadine wrote:It also irks me that I always have to specify GIN Gimlet these days. The bloody Gimlet originated as a gin drink!

"A real Gimlet is half gin and half Rose’s Lime Juice and nothing else. It beats Martinis hollow." - Terry Lenox speaking to Philip Marlowe in Raymond Chandler’s novel The Long Goodbye

[ This Message was edited by: thejab 2006-05-02 15:22 ]

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-02 3:23 pm   Permalink

The Gimlet kinda got the wind knocked out of its sails by its more popular & COLLEGIATE (where I discovered them) cousin..the dreaded KAMIKAZE.
still recall that hangover.....

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grenadine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-04 07:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

"A real Gimlet is half gin and half Rose’s Lime Juice and nothing else. It beats Martinis hollow." - Terry Lenox speaking to Philip Marlowe in Raymond Chandler’s novel The Long Goodbye

OMG!

thejab - you NAILED it! Chandler is the reason I started drinking Gimlets in the first place!

View Profile of Grenadine Send a personal message to Grenadine  Goto the website of Grenadine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-04 09:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-04 07:12, Grenadine wrote:
Quote:

OMG!

thejab - you NAILED it! Chandler is the reason I started drinking Gimlets in the first place!

I'm sorry, but there's no Genadine in a Mai Tai...

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grenadine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-04 10:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

I'm sorry, but there's no Grenadine in a Mai Tai...

....but there sure are a lot of Mai Tais in Grenadine!

(GoodGod! After that one I'd better go back to lurking.)

Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-31 07:43 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:42 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation