FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Locating Tiki Ľ Ľ Forbidden Island, Alameda, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Forbidden Island, Alameda, CA (bar)
surfalaia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-13 11:57 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: surfalaia 2009-08-05 07:30 ]

View Profile of surfalaia Send a personal message to surfalaia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-13 12:13 pm   Permalink

Wednesdays is perfect. It is local 94501 night...but also Tiki Central Night!
You may want to post here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=19207&forum=17&start=705&713

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
margaritamama

Posted: 2009-07-27 12:45 am   Permalink

July, 2009, had a great evening there. Drinks were super, good trio playing and appetizers were good. Loved the ambiance. Want to go back. Well worth the trip.

View Profile of margaritamama Send a personal message to margaritamama      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-02 6:30 pm   Permalink

Here's my Forbidden Island review that I originally posted under another thread. It was suggested that I include it here.

Also I need some advice. What's the closed BART station to Alameda? Are there usually cabs waiting there that I can take to FI?

Thank You.

........letís start with my visit to Forbidden Island, a place I havenít been for almost 3 years. Now letís face it, most of the recent Tiki Central Bay Area spotlight has shone on SC with FI being relegated to ďthe place that Martin Cate leftĒ. Conventional wisdom would dictate that the quality would fall much in the same way when a celebrity chef leaves a famous restaurant.

This feeling was reinforced when I had a chat with someone I meet at LAís Varnish bar earlier last year. This self-described San Francisco ďNew CocktailianĒ insisted he was a former FI regular and that the place had gone downhill when Martin left.

Since I was staying with friends in the East Bay, I decided to check it out for myself. Upon entering FI, it felt as if I was just there the previous week. That ďnever changes, frozen in timeĒ Tiki atmosphere was still in place. The mood was still that of a low-key neighborhood bar, FI hadnít turned into a beer swilling sports bar.

Now did you ever have a cocktail that after the first sip, made an impression that just stayed with you? That was the impact I got when I first sipped on a Martiki-mixed traditional Mai Tai in 2007. Now Iím more of a Navy Grog guy, but Iíve never had a Mai Tai quite like that since. That was my first cocktail choice of the evening. I took my first sip, and then had that same feeling of sublime recognition I remembered from years before. Nothing had changed. Another key drink of the evening was the Jet Pilot which I would say was one of the best Tropical cocktails Iíve tasted (Iím jumping ahead here, but I also tried the Jet Pilot at SC. Very very good, but I think I preferred the FI one just a tad more.)

So hereís my point. In my opinion, any rumors that FI has gone downhill are total BS. Talking to Susan (one of the bar managers) and Paddy (my bartender of the evening), FIís dedication to master mixology and devotion to classic Tiki-style are still very much in place.

On the West Coast, itís sometimes easy to take FI for granted. Now we have so many great Tropical cocktail places like SC, DTBC, the revamped Tonga Hut, the downtown LA TV, and Frankieís Tiki Room. We forget that when FI first opened, the only other real game in the West was Tiki-Ti. Itís great to see that one of the first places that set the high Tiki standard still continues to maintain it. Donít think of FI as the place that Martin Cate left but rather as the place he helped to define.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-06 09:46 am   Permalink

I was at FI on Martin Denny night and it was spectacular. Great vibe and awesome cocktails. First rate. My take: martiki and Mike began a great legacy there that is continuing - as it should be.

Suzanne is a great hostess and manager and has the right attitude for all of the patrons. Well done.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-23 11:08 am   Permalink

Nice things going on cocktail-wise at Forbidden Island these days. The new drink menu addendum has one page of classic tropical drinks and a page of modern cocktails. Tried a bunch of them and liked quite a few. The new Tropical Itch is very nice, packs a punch along with an itch.

Still, the old school guy that I am, give me a Navy Grog and I am happy. It's a tasty grog now at F.I., new and improved it lacks only a sugar stick. I have been rather impressed the last few months by the cocktail quality and innovation going on, kudos to the F.I. crew.

My heart still belongs to the Hawaii Kai Treasure,
midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-01 09:42 am   Permalink

Really excited to have been voted "Best Specialty Cocktails" in the 2011 SF Baylist poll. A really cool birthday present as we gear up for our 5th Anniversary!

http://baylist.cityvoter.com/winners/baylist/4789/nightlife/speciailty-cocktails

Mahalo!

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-04 11:39 am   Permalink

Congrats Michael!

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chiwito
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-11 12:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-01 09:42, Molokai Mike wrote:
Really excited to have been voted "Best Specialty Cocktails" in the 2011 SF Baylist poll. A really cool birthday present as we gear up for our 5th Anniversary!

http://baylist.cityvoter.com/winners/baylist/4789/nightlife/speciailty-cocktails

Mahalo!

Clicked on that link and happened to notice what fine establishment finished second to Forbidden Island. Haven't been to that place in years, but I am familiar with one of their staff, specifically their expert rumologist. Heard he's just started working at another place, perfecting his craft. Wonder where that would be?

View Profile of chiwito Send a personal message to chiwito  Email chiwito     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-24 10:06 am   Permalink

WooHoo! A Trip to The Bay Area would not be complete without a visit to Forbidden Island.......

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-01 11:18 am   Permalink

Went to the FI again this week. Vibe & the drinks are both still GREAT. If you have NEVER been, you MUST go!!! JOHN-O's review is spot on!!! Thortiki

Quote:

On 2010-03-02 18:30, JOHN-O wrote:
Here's my Forbidden Island review that I originally posted under another thread. It was suggested that I include it here.

Also I need some advice. What's the closed BART station to Alameda? Are there usually cabs waiting there that I can take to FI?

Thank You.

........letís start with my visit to Forbidden Island, a place I havenít been for almost 3 years. Now letís face it, most of the recent Tiki Central Bay Area spotlight has shone on SC with FI being relegated to ďthe place that Martin Cate leftĒ. Conventional wisdom would dictate that the quality would fall much in the same way when a celebrity chef leaves a famous restaurant.

This feeling was reinforced when I had a chat with someone I meet at LAís Varnish bar earlier last year. This self-described San Francisco ďNew CocktailianĒ insisted he was a former FI regular and that the place had gone downhill when Martin left.

Since I was staying with friends in the East Bay, I decided to check it out for myself. Upon entering FI, it felt as if I was just there the previous week. That ďnever changes, frozen in timeĒ Tiki atmosphere was still in place. The mood was still that of a low-key neighborhood bar, FI hadnít turned into a beer swilling sports bar.

Now did you ever have a cocktail that after the first sip, made an impression that just stayed with you? That was the impact I got when I first sipped on a Martiki-mixed traditional Mai Tai in 2007. Now Iím more of a Navy Grog guy, but Iíve never had a Mai Tai quite like that since. That was my first cocktail choice of the evening. I took my first sip, and then had that same feeling of sublime recognition I remembered from years before. Nothing had changed. Another key drink of the evening was the Jet Pilot which I would say was one of the best Tropical cocktails Iíve tasted (Iím jumping ahead here, but I also tried the Jet Pilot at SC. Very very good, but I think I preferred the FI one just a tad more.)

So hereís my point. In my opinion, any rumors that FI has gone downhill are total BS. Talking to Susan (one of the bar managers) and Paddy (my bartender of the evening), FIís dedication to master mixology and devotion to classic Tiki-style are still very much in place.

On the West Coast, itís sometimes easy to take FI for granted. Now we have so many great Tropical cocktail places like SC, DTBC, the revamped Tonga Hut, the downtown LA TV, and Frankieís Tiki Room. We forget that when FI first opened, the only other real game in the West was Tiki-Ti. Itís great to see that one of the first places that set the high Tiki standard still continues to maintain it. Donít think of FI as the place that Martin Cate left but rather as the place he helped to define.

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-05 10:19 am   Permalink

Velveteen Lounge Kitsch-en Visits Forbidden Island

http://youtu.be/VmXRsJVDGwQ

howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-25 07:01 am   Permalink

Wasting precious hours of what's left of my pathetic existence cruisin' through youtube lookin' for tiki stuff.....
Found this video, did a quick scan of this thread and didn't see it mentioned, thought I'd post a link.....

http://youtu.be/N9W37MSfsX4

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-25 09:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-25 07:01, howlinowl wrote:
Wasting precious hours of what's left of my pathetic existence cruisin' through youtube lookin' for tiki stuff.....
Found this video, did a quick scan of this thread and didn't see it mentioned, thought I'd post a link.....

http://youtu.be/N9W37MSfsX4

howlinowl

Brings back Awesome memories!!! Thanks for posting this HOwl!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-25 09:07 am   Permalink

P.S. I was just there last week re-vamping the bathrooms.

Here's a video ( sorry non-face bookers)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152296662246240&set=vb.679291239&type=2&theater

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation