FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tiki Archeology - The Hawaii Pavillion - 1962 Seattle World's Fair (Image Heavy)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tiki Archeology - The Hawaii Pavillion - 1962 Seattle World's Fair (Image Heavy)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-27 02:43 am   Permalink

Hey, d'ya think that this is maybe THE Kalani, "the guy from Hawaii", responsible for the decor of the imitation Mai Kai "South Pacific" restaurant and village in Hallandale, Florida, also married to lovely Iilani, dancer at the same establishment?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-27 09:35 am   Permalink

There was an Elvis Presley movie filmed at the 1962 Seattle World's Fair, called It Happened At The World's Fair.

Has anyone seen it? There might be some scenes from the Hawaiian Pavilian.

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-27 10:58 am   Permalink

wow, very cool photos Sabu.
I posted waaay back that I have a Bumatay styled mug from there with raised lettering & a space needle graphic on the back. It is kinda crude & looks a bit crafty, but extremely cool. I don't have access to my pics now since I'm still out of town, but I will post a pic when I get back if you're interested.
I know Dr Smiley also has one in orange. (mine is yellow)
I have a thick little visitors booklet also. It's for the entire fair, not the Hawaiian Pavillion specifically, but it is mentioned. You are welcome to have it if you want it.

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-27 12:42 pm   Permalink

“Hey, d'ya think that this is maybe THE Kalani, "the guy from Hawaii", responsible for the decor of the imitation Mai Kai "South Pacific" restaurant and village in Hallandale, Florida, also married to lovely Iilani, dancer at the same establishment?”

Hey Sven my suspicion is that’s not the same “guy from Hawaii”, whatever carving examples I’ve seen from the South Pacific have been totally different in style. But you never know the Tiki world was a small one back then, there could have been a whole Kalani movement we were unaware of, all it takes is one good postcard to change everything!

Bosko

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-27 2:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-27 09:35, ookoo lady wrote:
There was an Elvis Presley movie filmed at the 1962 Seattle World's Fair, called It Happened At The World's Fair.

Has anyone seen it? There might be some scenes from the Hawaiian Pavilian.

No Hawaiian Pavillon, but cool space age architecture...and the best scenes are in a trailer park that was all studio built, with the cleanest gleaming chrome trailer homes I ever saw, all perfect artifice.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BC-Da-Da
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-27 5:06 pm   Permalink

Awesome, man. Stellar research.

View Profile of BC-Da-Da Send a personal message to BC-Da-Da  Email BC-Da-Da     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-27 6:25 pm   Permalink

Great post! Thanks so much.

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-27 11:50 pm   Permalink

Thank you, Manakoora! When I saw the picture of the building, my first instinct was that it became the arcade in the rides area (today, that area is near EMP, and the building is totally gone). So fantastic.

When I was a kid, when we'd go play at my grandparents, there was a *ton* of World's Fair stuff in the toybox of stuff leftover from when my mom & her siblings were kids. Sadly, it's all long gone, now.

Bigbadtikidaddy, I would *love* to see this mug you're talking about! Between mug & Seattle World's Fair collectors, I would think it would go for a pretty penny.

Thanks for such a fabulous post, Sabu!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-29 5:20 pm   Permalink

Humu- I will happily post the pics when I get back home.

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sporkboyofjustice
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-30 11:12 am   Permalink

I just returned from my weekly trip to goodwill and found a very nice aloha shirt which I'm pretty sure was from the worlds fair. It's got the space needle in the background and it's in pretty good shape with bright colors. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can.

I took a closer look at the shirt and compared it to the drawings posted in this thread and the details are a match. Oddly enough there is a tower on the shirt that is not present in any of the posted materials. This could have been something that was initially planned and then canceled after the art had been sent off to the shirt makers. By the final decision was made it was too late to change the shirt. I think I'll be able to get pictures up tonight.

I'll also note that the colors are not those that I typically wear but I'll make an exception for this shirt and will wear it on my next trip to Seattle (I'll be styling at the Bellevue TV).

[ This Message was edited by: sporkboyofjustice 2006-04-30 13:45 ]

View Profile of sporkboyofjustice Send a personal message to sporkboyofjustice  Goto the website of sporkboyofjustice     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sporkboyofjustice
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-03 08:42 am   Permalink

OK, here are the pictures, a little late but here they are. You can see the tower that I was talking about and the space needle is as clear as can be. I did try this on and it is very tight on me which is a shame but it's still a really cool shirt. Also added a closeup of the label, Waikiki-Wear by Mildred's. There is another line of text that isn't clear. May be of Hawaii?? Does anyone know of this shirt maker?

[ This Message was edited by: sporkboyofjustice 2006-05-03 08:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: sporkboyofjustice 2006-05-03 12:02 ]

View Profile of sporkboyofjustice Send a personal message to sporkboyofjustice  Goto the website of sporkboyofjustice     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-03 09:25 am   Permalink

I definitely think you've got something there, Sporkboy.

The Space Needle looks like Seattle's all right and the Hawaiian building has those same 6-pointed shields that are on the artist's rendering from the program. I wonder if this shirt was sold in Waikiki or Seattle? Great mix of Seattle skyline with Waikiki syline. Thanks for posting that!

Tikiboy & Manakoora - Thanks so much for giving us your first-hand recollections from the Seattle World's Fair. I was hoping someone who was there would chime in. I really appreciate the history of what became of the building in the years after the Exposition.

Dogbytes - The only "holy grail" I can think of would be some actual polaroids that tourists took of the Pavilion. Especially one of those souvenir photos that was taken at the camera shop with the Pavilion and the Space Needle as background. I bet those are cool.

Bosko - I'm glad I could help with the putting a name to that famous tree-fern carver. It sounds like you have lots of historical knowledge of carvers. Kalani looks pretty young in that photo. Any chance that he might still be alive? He'd be a great one to interview.

Bigbadtikidaddy - I'd love to see a pic of that mug once you find it. I thought there was possibly only a commemorative tumbler that came as part of a set. I had no idea there was an actual tiki mug.

Thanks everybody for all the positive input on this thread.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-03 4:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-03 08:42, sporkboyofjustice wrote:
OK, here are the pictures, a little late but here they are. You can see the tower that I was talking about and the space needle is as clear as can be. I did try this on and it is very tight on me which is a shame but it's still a really cool shirt. Also added a closeup of the label, Waikiki-Wear by Mildred's. There is another line of text that isn't clear. May be of Hawaii?? Does anyone know of this shirt maker?

[

That shirt is zazz!!!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Manakoora
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-23 10:08 pm   Permalink

Hey Sporkboyofjustice, I like that shirt!

Here's an observation of mine regarding the Space Needle in the picture: the little deck above the third dancer looks like the "Skyline Level", a banquet facility added to the Space Needle structure in 1982, 20 years after the World's Fair. That might help you date your shirt a little closer. I have no idea what that other tower is. Have you discovered any other details about it?
It's a cool shirt.

Manakoora (Raised in Seattle)

View Profile of Manakoora Send a personal message to Manakoora      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-23 10:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Oddly enough there is a tower on the shirt that is not present in any of the posted materials. This could have been something that was initially planned and then canceled after the art had been sent off to the shirt makers. By the final decision was made it was too late to change the shirt.

sorry,
Interesting story.
But nope.
The other structure is the Aloha tower. Situated makai of Chinatown, Oahu. Once the tallest building in Hawaii, back in da boat days. The other icons on the shirt are also indigenous to Hawaii and not things planned for the fair nor related to Seattle.

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation