FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tiki Archeology - The Hawaii Pavillion - 1962 Seattle World's Fair (Image Heavy)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tiki Archeology - The Hawaii Pavillion - 1962 Seattle World's Fair (Image Heavy)
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-25 3:46 pm   Permalink

also, that shirt is most emphatically not from the 1980's.

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-04-28 5:16 pm   Permalink

Another great thread to re-vitalize. I recently acquired this "1962 Settle Worlds Fair Mug" A few to be found in Ooga-Mooga and a few stories to go with it. Bumatay looking indeed and one story suggests it was a booth in which you bought the mug then got to paint it. I don't think so as they look to have a more professional glaze to it. Also guessed to be a hobbyist mug? I don't think so as well I think they made enough to have hired a small co. to make them up, but... I have no idea. What do you think? What a great time 1962 for Tiki & Seattle...

[ This Message was edited by: Hiphipahula 2008-04-28 17:19 ]

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
xyplex

Posted: 2008-09-25 07:37 am   Permalink

I was talking about the Pavilion to a friend of my today so on a hunch I searched the web and found this.

WOW.....thank you sooooo much for bringing back these memories. I watched as they built this building. My father managed the Hawaii Pavilion during the fair. My dad may still have the small tiki in the basement of his house. After the fair was over we put it in our yard. I’m going to try to find out what happened to it.

Geee….now I’m going to have to call my dad to bring back all his memories. He would hide us kids in the car from our mom in order to sneak us in when he went to work the fair before the grounds opened. We had a blast with all the dancers. It was a fun time.

He’s 89 now and I’m sure he will get a kick out of knowing about this site. Over the years he has kept in contact with the dancers.

View Profile of xyplex Send a personal message to xyplex      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-26 7:34 pm   Permalink

Man, what a bummer that all of Sabu's (and others) great photos are gone from this thread. I thought I would refresh things a little.

First off the Dole stand at the Hawaiian Pavilion. Seen many times, a classic.

I found this photo on Flickr of the Dole stand.

Close up of the two big fernwood Tikis out front and the smaller ones flanking the entrance.

Found another photo on Flickr stating that this is one of THE Tikis from the Dole stand.

Here are some other postcards from the information booth sponsored by the Seattle 1st Bank. No Tiki but some great lines.

Another postcard showing the shopping area at the Boulevards of the World.

Close up of the Tiki shop.

Hopefully Sabu can add this to his list of threads to update some day.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-06 12:37 pm   Permalink

I've been adding images to the New York World's Fair thread so I thought I would move over here and do the same for the Seattle World's Fair. I found a great set of old photos online of the Hawaiian Pavilion.

Two photos of the building construction.

The completed Hawaii Pavilion.

A nighttime shot with the Tiki torches lit.

The Polynesian Playhouse

As advertised in this brochure.

Space Needle shots.

I lightened this one up so you could see the two tree fern Tikis better.

A great photo of the two fern Tikis -finally get some good details on these big guys.

A Polynesian face carving.

And the Hawaiian entertainment.

Some pretty cool stuff.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tobor64
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-07-06 1:54 pm   Permalink

Love those fern tikis...may have to add them to a future painting.

Thanks for posting these great pix, Dustycajun.

View Profile of Tobor64 Send a personal message to Tobor64      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-07 12:07 pm   Permalink

Thanks Tobor64. Here are a few more photos of those cool fern Tikis.

DC

tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-27 8:17 pm   Permalink

I found this picture on the MOHAI website. It's from the Industry section in the Philippine Pavilion. If anyone finds this entryway I can use a new entry for my house.

Reminds me of Les Cabaret L'Enfer that was in Paris.

aloha Tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-27 8:45 pm   Permalink

Wow, that has to be the biggest fork & spoon set ever! Looks to be at least 10' tall!

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mymotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-28 05:26 am   Permalink

Wow, this is a great thread for seattle. My parents took me there, I was about 4 yrs old. I remember some of it. I remember the buildings. Too bad they were all torn down. Progress. I have two different style space needle decanters. One I believe is actually a cocktail style mug with lid in shape of the space needle with a place for a straw.

View Profile of mymotiki Send a personal message to mymotiki  Email mymotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-28 09:08 am   Permalink

Good find, Tikicoma! I had seen this before, but in a much smaller format. That must have given a real push for import Tikis...though much less if this would have been displayed in Southern California.

With that size fork you could FEED tourists to the giant Tiki mouth!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-12 8:43 pm   Permalink

Exotica at the Fair,

Club 21 was open to members at subscription cost of 250 bucks for six months.
Seems this may have been a sponsors organization also providing a permanent gate pass and a guide book.

from the U of W digital collections.

aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-13 05:47 am   Permalink

WOW!! Awesome picture!!

Thanks tikicoma!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-19 10:11 pm   Permalink

A photo from the Polynesian Playhouse program advertising Lono Tika.

And a news wire photo I saw on ebay with a live action shot of the entertainers at the Polynesian Playhouse.

DC

Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-20 7:04 pm   Permalink

Does anyone know the recipe for the "Bubbleator" cocktail that was served at the Seattle Word's Fair?

I am doing a 60s sci-fi theme night and have the spacy soundtrack that they used for the futuristic parts of the fair. Now if I could just serve that cocktail too....

Toto, j'ai l'impression que nous ne sommes plus au Kansas !

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation