FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Archeology - The Hawaii Pavillion - '64/'65 New York World's Fair
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tiki Archeology - The Hawaii Pavillion - '64/'65 New York World's Fair
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-14 7:29 pm   Permalink

Would love to see photos that might show the gift shop area of the Hawaiian Exhibit where Honolulu art dealer brought the work of eighteen (!) black velvet painters where this one was originally purchased...

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
senioraqua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-15 05:28 am   Permalink

Here's a double nodder from the Hawaii Pavilion.

View Profile of senioraqua Send a personal message to senioraqua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-20 4:47 pm   Permalink

I found this photo of the gift shop exterior

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-23 12:02 pm   Permalink

Bongofury,

Where did you get those cool pictures of the couple with the velvet painting?

Here is a shot of the groundbreaking for the Hawaiian Pavilion. Check out Laki and Olina wielding those shovels.

This is more Hawaiiana than Tiki and I, for one, think that that is just damn fine for Tiki Central.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-24 08:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-28 13:04, puamana wrote:
Great stuff, freddiefreelance & Sabu ! I've have a little more on the NY Worlds Fair than for Seattle. Here's a brochure promoting Polynesia at the Fair, with "Authentic Native Dancers and Pearl Divers direct from Pago Pago to you" :

Found some photos of the Polynesian area at the New York World's Fair. Here is the booth that sold the pearls.

Here are some of the native dancers.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-26 7:03 pm   Permalink

Cool pics DC. I got the photos with the velvet from the family of the people that bought it at the Fair. They had changed the original wood frame and mat with a newer metal gold color frame. i swapped that one for a thrift store frame

They also sent along a letter from the artist about the painting and the model

I like his logo

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-26 7:31 pm   Permalink

You are kidding me, Ron! I was just gonna ask you about the artist, because I thought I recognized that style! That was the guy whose son was selling off all his paintings here a while ago!
I got that great "Polynesian Princess Sacrifice" one....I will search and post more on this...
I was always asking his son to supply me with stories and photos of his dad, and he never followed up.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-26 7:54 pm   Permalink

Here is the thread, page 3 has the most images:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=20418&forum=1&start=30

...and the website is still up!:

http://www.davegrave.com/art.htm

Here is Louis Behan, the painter:

Here are some of the portraits he was selling:

...and here is the only non-black velvet canvas painting he had. I ended up getting it, payed a pretty penny for it, but man, what a classic Polynesian pop piece. Clearly an early, more vintage work:

Here it is hanging at my house, in its original frame, in a proper environment. It's actually called "Virgin Sacrifice":

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-27 4:07 pm   Permalink

Bigbro/Bongo,

The ever so small world of Tiki Central! Sweet that you both got one of this guys paintings.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-01-27 19:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-01-27 19:51 ]

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 4:17 pm   Permalink

I picked up a souvenir program from the Hawaiian Pavilion at the 1964-1965 World's Fair in New York. This ad for the Hawaiian Pavilion Luau and Coke caught my eye.

The photo in the ad started out life as a standard United Airlines Luau postcard. The ad company did some pre-PhotoShop editing and superimposed the coke bottles in the gentleman's hand and on the table.

Look at the size of those coke bottles will you! That is hilarious. Talk about saving money on advertising costs.

Here is the original postcard.

This postcard shot also made it onto an album cover for the Luau at Waikiki recorded at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Hawaii.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-27 2:36 pm   Permalink

A few more items from the 1964 New York Worlds Fair.

A matchbook from the 5 Volcanos Restaurant

An ashtray from the Hawaiian Pavilion.

DC

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-25 12:35 am   Permalink

I recently obtained the same souvenir program as Dustycajun.

It's got a nice rendering of the Hawaii Pavilion area:

My favorite structure has to be that 5 Volcanos restaurant to the upper right:

Talk about Poly-Pop Modern architecture! Love that roofline.

I also got a hold of a stack of pre-Fair progress report booklets which were apparently sent to investors to show the progress of construction and expenditures from 1962 all the way up to the post-fair proposals of what to do with the structures afterwards. They're lushly illustrated with wonderful artist's renderings and concept art of all the buildings, as well as photos of the buildings being constructed. The Hawaiian area was fairly minor in the larger scheme of things, so the photos are pretty sparse. However, I found a few.

This map shows where the Hawaii Pavilion was going to be built - just to the East of the existing Marine Theater at Jones Beach:

This early cartoon shows a rudimentary Hawaii Pavilion. The actual build-out was much more extensive, thankfully.

In 1962, 2 years before the Fair, the Marine Theater hosted a lavish production of Guy Lombardo's Hawaiian musical, "Paradise Island". I wonder if that had any influence on putting the Hawaii Pavilion in that area:

Later came the architectural models and artist renderings of the final Pavilion:

Here's another building I would have visited for sure.

Here are some performers outside the completed Pavilion:

They were probably performers in Sterling Mossman's show "Barefoot In Paradise" - A sweeping spectacle of Pacific Island peoples in a great new musical extravaganza featuring a company of 46 exotic south seas entertainers.

Here's a coaster from the 5 Volcanos:

And an image from inside the souvenir recipe book:

Also an artist's rendering of the Papua New Guinea area of the Fair. Images of this structure seem to be less common:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-25 09:04 am   Permalink

Naaaaice work, Sabu, thank you!

I found this snapshot on the web:

You can see the sign for the 5 Volcanoes in the back

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-25 09:27 am   Permalink

For a Poly Pop tie in, there was a Mai Kai contengent sent to this World's Fair I do believe. If someone can find those publicity shots of the Mai Kai girls, maybe serving Mystery Drinks....

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-29 3:04 pm   Permalink

Ha, found it!: Here's an image I was looking for in response for Sabu's great recent post:

Behold this giant, highly stylized Ku gate sculpture by Ed Brownlee!

Why have we not seen this in any of the other images you ask? Cause when looking at the palm trees, we realize that this is just an architectural model, and this (probably too scary) behemoth was never built. Too bad...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation