FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Hakalugi's - Bamboo Fence & Play Structure Makeover
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Hakalugi's - Bamboo Fence & Play Structure Makeover
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2006-04-30 10:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-28 14:07, kingtiki wrote:
... Nice to see the hot tub populated by a naked guy right off the bat! It's not a party without a naked guy of some sort

I should clarify here. The tall guy in the hot tub isn't totally naked. He's wearing a condom.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
unklefun
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-04 11:58 am   Permalink

Strong Work Hakalugi and Bartman! On the bambo fencing, Hot tub patio area as well as catching the possum.

[ This Message was edited by: unklefun 2006-05-04 11:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: unklefun 2006-05-04 11:59 ]

View Profile of unklefun Send a personal message to unklefun  Goto the website of unklefun     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-09 7:40 pm   Permalink

Awesome man! Looks great and a great step by step too. Loved it.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thehipster
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-18 11:53 am   Permalink

Outstanding! I want one!

View Profile of thehipster Send a personal message to thehipster  Goto the website of thehipster     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Deery Luau
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-19 09:32 am   Permalink

Was that tiny, fuzzy guy one of the angry possum's offspring?

View Profile of Deery Luau Send a personal message to Deery Luau  Email Deery Luau     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2006-05-19 10:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-19 09:32, Deery Luau wrote:
Was that tiny, fuzzy guy one of the angry possum's offspring?

You must have missed the part of the post that said "We looked to see if there were any babies but found none".

That photo of the baby opossum was posted by Hodadhank and was probably over 100 miles away.

So cheer up now!

Oh, but on the other hand, maybe the well being of that little critter should be taken up with Hodadhank. I hear that baby opossums make a great drink garnish.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
turbosickboy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-21 2:26 pm   Permalink

great work... i love these step by step threads.

View Profile of turbosickboy Send a personal message to turbosickboy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-03 5:44 pm   Permalink

Excellent step by step pic's and Excellent work and Dynamite ending. Very Nice addtion to Any back yard.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-06 9:43 pm   Permalink

I was searching for something and came across this great project. Holy rat's arse...glad ya won the fight with them thar possum. Dang...those things can be really mean and aggresive. Hope you are enjoying your spa...the fence is awesome...I like the varying heights of the poles.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Uggamug
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-20 8:43 pm   Permalink

Wow, Hakalugi, what a great job. I really admire your craftsman-like approach to building this project... quite impressive! Thanks for posting the pics and the "how-to" of building this project, you do really good work.

View Profile of Uggamug Send a personal message to Uggamug      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2008-08-08 01:23 am   Permalink

Play Structure Tiki Makeover Phase 1:

Another backyard project far enough along so that I can share some photos.

We wanted to get one of those wooden play structures for our daughter. Something like this:

Unfortunately our backyard is so small, I was unable to find a prefab one that would fit the bill. I did however find a somewhat local place
(Play-Well) that was willing to customize their designs based on my own specifications. Here is the space I had to work with:

Here's the partial installation and completed stucture:

Changes to their design included a narrower side porch and installing the steps on the inside.

Now that the structure was in place, the transformation could begin. The plan is to totally Tikify the stucture and it would be done in three phases.

Phase 1 - Extended roof beam, thatching and trim
Phase 2 - Bamboo trim and matting on second level
Phase 3 - Awning and trim for the ground level

So on to Phase 1:

Of course any good Tiki A-frame needs to have a nice beam that protruds up. So I started with a stock piece of wood from Home Depot which is meant to build stairs:

Connect that to a longer piece using some big black brackets (unfortunately a bit hard to see in this photo).

Once the beam was complete all I had to do was open up the roof, shave some of the existing wood a bit, and drop in the beam.
Front view:

Back:

Now of course you've got to have some sort of hanging lamp. I didn't want to use a glass float because it would probably somehow get inadvertantly smashed by my daughter or one of her overly rambunctious friends. And a fake plastic float wouldn't hold up to the sun too well over time (plus they're fake). So I bought an outdoor light at Home Depot for $20.00.

All I had to do was strip the lamp down to a bare frame and with some bamboo, sea grass braid, mica, and a hot glue gun, I ended up with this:

Then I extended the roof and begun adding matting:

Now the thatch goes on as well as bamboo trim. You can also see the tar roofing material I've added.

The trim and thatch is complete.

We chose to turn down a plastic ships wheel and added our own:

View from second level of the structure:

Even though the thatch is nailed down it might still get a bit thrashed from the wind, so I made a bamboo retainer. Not only is it functional, but it looks good:

Tiki Bo Peep approves:

Here's the extension and pulley for the lift bucket. You can also see the brass telescope:

Tiki Bo Peep still approves:

And so does some of the other wildlife:

Here's a night shot from our second floor living room window:

And a few more night shots:

Phase 2 will soon commence, but for now, it's time for a double Zombie.

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2008-08-08 02:05 ]

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 03:13 am   Permalink

Man, that looks great! Nice job

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Savage Daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 05:49 am   Permalink

Wow! Now that is a cool play structure. Nice work.

Savage Daddy
www.savagedaddy.webs.com

View Profile of Savage Daddy Send a personal message to Savage Daddy  Email Savage Daddy Goto the website of Savage Daddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
UtopianDreem
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-08 10:10 am   Permalink

It's a beauty! Looks like the bamboo fence near the hot tub is holding up well, too. Did you end up varnishing/sealing it?

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 10:20 am   Permalink

Coolest Dad evar!! I gotta ask again....can I come over and play?

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation