FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music new c.d's I picked up this week...
new c.d's I picked up this week...
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-28 08:15 am   Permalink

picked up the soundtrack to "77 sunset strip"...features awesome moody spy-jazz from the old t.v. series...good cocktail drinkin' tunes....also picked up Preston Epps compilation, "Bongola"....not to be missed!! awesome collection of bongo infused tunes featuring the master of the skins himself.....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-28 3:21 pm   Permalink

Sounds like I'm gonna have to get that one. I wish they would release Hawaiian Eye on CD.

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ted tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-29 08:46 am   Permalink

That is funny since I just watched an episode of 77 Sunset Strip yesterday and decided that we need more finger snapping in songs these days.

I too wish they would release Hawaiian Eye anything on CD.

I noticed the last Hawaiian Eye and 77 Sunset Strip episodes I watched had two of the same actors playing very similar characters wearing very similar outfits.

View Profile of ted tiki Send a personal message to ted tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-29 10:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

I noticed the last Hawaiian Eye and 77 Sunset Strip episodes I watched had two of the same actors playing very similar characters wearing very similar outfits.

there is an explanation for this in the liner notes of 77 sunset strip......it goes on at length to explain the evolution of the series as well as it's effect on other dramas like hawaiian eye and surf side six...as well as certain elements that were "lifted" from the original series........

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-29 11:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-28 08:15, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
picked up the soundtrack to "77 sunset strip"...features awesome moody spy-jazz from the old t.v. series...good cocktail drinkin' tunes....also picked up Preston Epps compilation, "Bongola"....not to be missed!! awesome collection of bongo infused tunes featuring the master of the skins himself.....

I will have to keep an eye out for that Preston Epps cd "Bongola." Sounds like a must have item!! Thanks for the tip!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-29 1:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-29 11:48, Jeff Central wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-04-28 08:15, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

I will have to keep an eye out for that Preston Epps cd "Bongola." Sounds like a must have item!! Thanks for the tip!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

..you won't be dissapointed...liner notes also include in-depth info on preston's background and rise to popularity in his day...

BC-Da-Da
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-03 10:38 am   Permalink

I recommend Cocktail Angst. They are one of the few neo-tiki acts that go for the full-on Exotic Sounds feel... with vibraphones and the Modernist jazz elements inherent to Exotica. I find that some of the tiki music is more hapa haole. Besides, like, Frenchy, Tipsy, Ursula 1000, Don Tiki and Combustible Edison, it's been hard to find out and out Exotica.

View Profile of BC-Da-Da Send a personal message to BC-Da-Da  Email BC-Da-Da     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-04 01:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-28 15:21, Digitiki wrote:
I wish they would release Hawaiian Eye on CD.

Quote:

On 2006-04-29 08:46, ted tiki wrote:
I too wish they would release Hawaiian Eye anything on CD.

Collectables will have a release out on May 9:

http://www.oldies.com/product-view/77792.html

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-12 4:31 pm   Permalink

Just got my Hawaiian Eye CD! The sound quality is very good!!!

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-12 6:21 pm   Permalink

I purchased "HAWAIIAN EYE" from www.dustygroove.com in Chicago, they are tremendous both in price and selection.

Huzzah!
Zazz!
~rUPE

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation