FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Anyone have a margaritaville machine??
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Anyone have a margaritaville machine??
LavaLounger
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-28 3:01 pm   Permalink

I saw this margaritaville maker in a catalog I have, it says it makes "shaved" ice, and I'm thinking this would be awesome to make tiki drinks with. But I'm wondering if it really shaves the ice nicely or if the blender portion does the ice shaving. Does anyone have one of these things or know how it works?? I found it on Amazon, same price as the catalog.

LavaLounger-looking for lazy ways to make drinks

link

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine - to shorten overly long link - 2006-04-28 16:11 ]

View Profile of LavaLounger Send a personal message to LavaLounger  Goto the website of LavaLounger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-28 4:05 pm   Permalink

From the description it sounds like this machine makes slurpee type drinks, not your traditional shave ice style that you pour liquid over top of after it's come out of the machine.

Would be great for belinis, or other slush type beverages.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-28 6:18 pm   Permalink

$300! What?

I would say get a $29.99 blender, put in ice and margarita mix and booze, and then blend for a good long time. It'll come out as slushy or "grainy" as you want.

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LavaLounger
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-03 05:01 am   Permalink

Thanks for your ideas. I see the machine at Amazon it isn't even available yet, so I suspect that the price may come down later.

I find that the texture of shaved ice is different than that of blended ice, no matter how long I blend it. I have an ice shaver.....it's a little deal, cost me like $20 at a Kitchen store and it does a great job, but takes for-freakin'-ever to shave a glass of "snow" which becomes a problem with thirsty guests hanging on the bar. So I was hoping there'd be something a bit quicker yet attractive to park on the backbar. The margarita machine is a festive green and I was hoping it'd make the "snow" I'm looking for.

I hestitate to buy online becuase if I hate it, then I lose money sending it back in shipping costs. I was hoping to find one locally so I could take it home and try it, then if I hate it, I can take it back....however with the price of gas, the return shipping costs would probably be about the same....ha.

Let's see, for $300 I could buy five ice shavers and 4 blenders. I think I'll mix a drink and think about it for awhile.

LavaLounger

View Profile of LavaLounger Send a personal message to LavaLounger  Goto the website of LavaLounger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-03 07:02 am   Permalink

In 1985 a friend of mine worked for Street Rodder magazine, and took me on a route he had of project cars in the works. A Shop in Huntington Beach was working on a old Chooped Pontiac for one of the Members of ZZ Top that had one of those in the back...It was marvoulous (although the car wouldn't run well if it was on because of the power draw)

I think you should thus accesorize your fine-ride with this machine, and sort of make yourself the king of local parades and events...just a thought.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-08 2:50 pm   Permalink

I have been wanting one of these machines for a long time, so finally took the plunge and bought one today. Recently I accidentally tossed the clear plastic cap for the top of my blender out with my dishwater. I had the habit of having the garbage disposal on when I dumped my water out....needless to say, I heard some massive crunching. I turned it off and pulled the mangled cap out. Unfortunately no replacement for the cheap little cap....so what a great excuse to buy the Margaritaville machine. There is a video of the machine at the Frontgate website.

If you are a member of BevMo, they knock the price down, so that really helps.

I'll be back later with a review of the blender.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-08 3:51 pm   Permalink

I like to use this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whY2uIWKnwU

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikisgrl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-08 4:00 pm   Permalink

This one looks like a loss less work & you can use ice cubes.

Snow Cone Machine

Tikisgrl

View Profile of Tikisgrl Send a personal message to Tikisgrl  Email Tikisgrl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-08 10:10 pm   Permalink

I had to get the adult model to match the un-tiki fountain I bought....you know....checks and balances. I think I will record that youtube music though and whenever I whip up a liquory concoction I can have that blaring in the background.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-09 01:52 am   Permalink

It's yum yum fun
That's cool and clean
And it's name is the Snoopy Snow Cone Machine.
You put ice cubes in
And get a snow cone out
Yum yum fun is what it's all about!

Better yet, you could invite
King Kukulele over to one of your parties, and he could sing that song every time you make a drink.

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-09 05:02 am   Permalink

While we're on the topic, does anyone have any blending tips? I'm usually used to liquid drinks, but lately I've taken to try blended ones at home. I'm using ice cubes out of my freezer and whenever I blend, I can never get it slushy. They either come out as little ice chunks (crunchy) or so fine that they melt instantly.

Am I doing something wrong? Are there any tricks to it?

Spirited Remix - cocktails and spirits blog
http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Martiki-bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-09 06:23 am   Permalink

Oh Ice Bird...a kid's best friend in an air conditionless house.

DJ HawaiianShirt, here's a tip from my days working in a smoothie-shack back in the 80's: let your ice sit at room temperature for about 10-15 minutes to soften. You'll get a creamier drink that way without the chips.

m-b

View Profile of Martiki-bird Send a personal message to Martiki-bird  Email Martiki-bird Goto the website of Martiki-bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-09 07:11 am   Permalink

I'm getting to be a regular at Bed, Bath & Beyond where I saw the Margaritaville Machine on display. I could see a possible use for it, but not right now, especially, given the price tag.

I hardly ever use my professional Oster blender anymore, but rather a Magic Bullet and a Hamilton Beach Icy Treats ice shaver.

I used to shave ice with the Magic Bullet, but learned after four months that the blade assembly couldn't hold up to my abuse. I originally got it at B,B&B without a coupon, but when I returned it recently for an exchange, they let me use a 20% off any single item coupon. So I got $12+ back.

While I was there, I picked up the Icy Treats ice shaver, which usually costs $25. But using a 20% off coupon combined with my credit on the return I left with a brand new Magic Bullet and an Icy Treats for about $8.50.

The Icy Treats machine is almost all plastic, so it's not heavy duty at all. It has a little stirring wand you can put inside to make "icy treats" but I just use it to shave ice. It has two settings, Slushie and Snow Cone. The Slushie is finer and what I use for Mai Tais. Even though it's not heavy duty, I'm hoping it will withstand shaving ice continuously for an hour or more at a time.

It takes ice cubes (smaller cubes work better than big ones). It has two chutes in its central cylinder that line the cubes up and run them across a steel blade. Then the shaved ice falls into the collection area below. You can use the container that comes with it or your own bowl. It doesn't hold that much ice, so you have to continually feed cubes into it and dump the shaved ice. But you can turn it on and walk away for a few minutes while it does its thing and for the few bucks its cost, it has been worth it so far.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-09 7:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-08 14:50, VampiressRN wrote:
I have been wanting one of these machines for a long time, so finally took the plunge and bought one today. Recently I accidentally tossed the clear plastic cap for the top of my blender out with my dishwater. I had the habit of having the garbage disposal on when I dumped my water out....needless to say, I heard some massive crunching. I turned it off and pulled the mangled cap out. Unfortunately no replacement for the cheap little cap....so what a great excuse to buy the Margaritaville machine. There is a video of the machine at the Frontgate website.

If you are a member of BevMo, they knock the price down, so that really helps.

I'll be back later with a review of the blender.

:> :> :> :> :> :> :> :>
I was looking at the same on yesterday from the Frontgate Catalog ...Looking forward to hearing good things from your review ..then I'll pull the lever !!!

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-09 7:59 pm   Permalink

Hey TikiLaLe...I don't think you have BevMo in Florida, but I wonder if you joined that you might get the discount plus have it delivered. If I would have opted to pick it up at the store, I would have saved the shipping cost too.

It is available for full price at Amazon.com.

If you order from the
manufacturer they have a $40 rebate.

Williams Sonoma has a $50 gift certificate for future use.

I'll be excited to get mine and provide a review here.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation