FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Anyone have a margaritaville machine??
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Anyone have a margaritaville machine??
susanr5
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-10 09:48 am   Permalink

I have one of these, and while first I was leary of a "1 function" machine, I do love it.

It shaves the ice cubes before adding them to the blender, so the "slush" is smoother than most blenders with crappy blades will do. It will automatically do the ice and then blend for 1, 2 or 3 drinks. There is also a reservoir in the back that collects any ice melt from the machine, keeps it from adding water to the blender, and then you can just dump the water out when you're thru. You can manually just shave ice or just blend also, so you can tinker with the amount of shaved ice added to each batch, but the overall blender capacity is 32 oz.***

***NOTE: the new red version of the machine, contrary to what Frontgate says, has the same pitcher capacity, only the ice capacity has been enlarged. (I got this info directly from Margaritaville Cargo.) It also adds a smoothie setting which I think is superfluous if you already have the old machine. I make smoothies in it sometimes, but the pina coladas are incredible. I use a blend of 8 oz Coco Lopez, 8 oz Dole pineapple juice, and about 4-6 oz rum (4-ish if it's Myers dark, 6-ish if it's Appleton XV. Can't decide which is better yet, still experimenting), using the 3-glass setting.

Went over huge at a recent dock party! But since they will have you making them all night long, I recommend pre-mixing the liquids and putting them in a pitcher for efficiency's sake.

View Profile of susanr5 Send a personal message to susanr5      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-10 4:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-09 19:59, VampiressRN wrote:
Hey TikiLaLe...I don't think you have BevMo in Florida, but I wonder if you joined that you might get the discount plus have it delivered. If I would have opted to pick it up at the store, I would have saved the shipping cost too.

It is available for full price at Amazon.com.

If you order from the manufacturer they have a $40 rebate.

Williams Sonoma has a $50 gift certificate for future use.

I'll be excited to get mine and provide a review here.

:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>
Thanks V.for tip on the Williams-Sonoma... had a 100 gift card that been sitting in junk drawer since x-mas !!!!
Hat tip to V.

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikitatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-10 8:52 pm   Permalink

I received the http://www.amazon.com/Nostalgia-Electrics-Frozen-Drink-Machine/dp/B000L9R43G/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-5844261-3972010?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1184125814&sr=1-1 for XMas last year and my wife likes it. It works well for what it is and it doesn't cost too much.

Good luck.

View Profile of Tikitatt Send a personal message to Tikitatt  Email Tikitatt Goto the website of Tikitatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-10 9:44 pm   Permalink

Tikitatt...that looks like a kewl little machine.

SusanR5....welcome to Tiki Central. Good to hear a review from an actual owner..thanks so much. I was also interested in the new and improved version at Frontgate, but didn't like that crazy color and it didn't come with a live butler....soooooo went with the basic.

I got a huge box today...with my new toy in it. Too much ghost-poop in the box...so will unload it later. I hate to get that stuff on the carpet...it is a pain to clean up. Not sure when I will be firing up that baby, but I will be back with my comments.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rikitiki

Posted: 2007-07-11 10:47 am   Permalink

I got the Margaritaville blender last Christmas as a gift and I have to say we have been using it quite extensively since . It is a well designed implement of destruction , we previously used a regular blender and later The Magic Bullet which at the time seemed great but, pale in comparison to the Margaritaville blender. As said before it may take a bit of tweaking to get the ice/liquid mix just right but, once you get that down its great .
For a pretty good Rumrunner I do the following :
1 oz. Light Rum
1 oz. Myers' Dark Rum
2 oz. Blackberry Brandy
2 oz. Banana Liqueur
1 oz. Grenadine
2 oz. Roses Sweetened Lime Juice
Set the Margaritaville Machine to 2 drinks and run it twice . Seems to be the perfect blend to me ...
So good its tough to find a better one in the FLA Keys ( supposed birthplace of the Rumrunner ), and believe me we tried !

- Rick -

View Profile of Rikitiki Send a personal message to Rikitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-12 1:42 pm   Permalink

WELCOME TO TC RIKITIKI!!! I am excited to see another happy user here with a great story to tell and a personal recipe. I may get to use mine this weekend....but at least gonna get it outa da box on in the kitchen tonight...then read the directions. We are going to have to start posting pictures of our destructo gear in action!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rikitiki

Posted: 2007-07-13 06:03 am   Permalink

VampiressRN , you have shown great restraint having the machine for 4 days now and not trying it out ! I on the other hand was not that strong , breaking it in the same day we got it . Maybe it was my weakness for new machinery or maybe I was just thirsty , probably a bit of both , plus it was Christmas ...
Enjoy your FCM (frozen concoction maker) .

View Profile of Rikitiki Send a personal message to Rikitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Corvus

Posted: 2007-07-13 11:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-09 05:02, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:
While we're on the topic, does anyone have any blending tips? I'm usually used to liquid drinks, but lately I've taken to try blended ones at home. I'm using ice cubes out of my freezer and whenever I blend, I can never get it slushy. They either come out as little ice chunks (crunchy) or so fine that they melt instantly.

Am I doing something wrong? Are there any tricks to it?

Most likely it's two things:

A) You are probably using the full ice cubes from your freezer. Believe it or not if you used crushed ice in the first place you will get much better results. These ice cubes are too big and don't get crushed properly while the rest gets liquefied.

B) Get a powerful blender. You need a blender that is made for blending ice. A cheap blender is not going to work. In fact when I got my first blender for drinks I had to buy a professional Waring one, but now there are much better more powerful blenders on the consumer market.

I have tried many different ice crusher and most of them are horrible.

Loud and not powerful and slow. However I got this one recently and I love it:
http://www.amazon.com/Waring-Brushed-Stainless-Professional-Crusher/dp/B000AMZMVU

Also I want to remind people I am talking about crushed ice above NOT shaved ice. But you need crushed ice to make good shaved ice in a blender. If not you get big lumpy cubes.

View Profile of Corvus Send a personal message to Corvus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-13 11:44 am   Permalink

Yes, as I said in my post, I am using ice cubes from my freezer. So if I want to make a slush, then I need to blend crushed ice? Where do I get crushed ice? (my blender is heavy duty, btw) Is it true that you get better results when your leave your ice cubes out of the freezer for 15 minutes?

Here's my main question for a blending newbie: If I want to make a blended drink (any drink whose recipe calls for several ingredients to be blended with a scoop of ice instead of shaken or stirred), how do I do it with a blender?

Spirited Remix - cocktails and spirits blog
http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Corvus

Posted: 2007-07-13 2:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-13 11:44, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:
Yes, as I said in my post, I am using ice cubes from my freezer. So if I want to make a slush, then I need to blend crushed ice? Where do I get crushed ice? (my blender is heavy duty, btw) Is it true that you get better results when your leave your ice cubes out of the freezer for 15 minutes?

Here's my main question for a blending newbie: If I want to make a blended drink (any drink whose recipe calls for several ingredients to be blended with a scoop of ice instead of shaken or stirred), how do I do it with a blender?

You need to crush your ice. If you don't want to get an ice crusher, the easiest way to do these with things on hand is to put your cube ice in a big plastic bag and then I wrap it in a dish towel and then hit it with something. I wrap it in a towel so that the bag doesn't break.

You need to break up these big cubes or they just turn round and spin around in the blender. Also what can help too is a good liquid to ice ration. If you have too much liquid it will also give you problems.

I blend mine on low until it looks like the ice has been pulverized and then go to high. (My Warring only has three settings off/low/high)

You will actually be able to tell when you want to go to high. The ice will have changed.
First it will look very heterogeneous and then all of a sudden it will become homogeneous. Thats when I crank it to high. ALso the sound will change.

My blender usually can handle this without pre-crushing the ice. I will get maybe one ice lump. But if you pre-crack your ice you should get better results.

Cheers!

View Profile of Corvus Send a personal message to Corvus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-14 4:26 pm   Permalink

A vitamix or blendtec total blender will get an extremely smooth texture to the ice as well, and can be used for numerous other things too, much like any smoothie you would get at Jamba Juice or someplace like that.

Chris

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
maturik

Posted: 2008-08-30 7:56 pm   Permalink

That is by far the best Rum Runner recipe I've come across and is an excellent recipe for this machine. Anyone else have other recipes (apart from what come with the machine) for this machine?

Quote:

On 2007-07-11 10:47, Rikitiki wrote:
I got the Margaritaville blender last Christmas as a gift and I have to say we have been using it quite extensively since . It is a well designed implement of destruction , we previously used a regular blender and later The Magic Bullet which at the time seemed great but, pale in comparison to the Margaritaville blender. As said before it may take a bit of tweaking to get the ice/liquid mix just right but, once you get that down its great .
For a pretty good Rumrunner I do the following :
1 oz. Light Rum
1 oz. Myers' Dark Rum
2 oz. Blackberry Brandy
2 oz. Banana Liqueur
1 oz. Grenadine
2 oz. Roses Sweetened Lime Juice
Set the Margaritaville Machine to 2 drinks and run it twice . Seems to be the perfect blend to me ...
So good its tough to find a better one in the FLA Keys ( supposed birthplace of the Rumrunner ), and believe me we tried !

- Rick -

View Profile of maturik Send a personal message to maturik      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LikiTiki

Posted: 2008-08-31 2:12 pm   Permalink

I purchased one of the first Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Makers. Although leary at first for $300, it has been a great addition. The only issue is it is so popular, all my friends loved it and it's always the hit of the party. I got the travel bag which is a great add-on and took it to parties, boat trips, camping, etc. Now all my friends have one and I received the new DM2000 with larger ice capacity, etc. as a gift and gave away my first one, DM1000. I highly recommend the quality and design of Margaritaville. I love it.
I know people who purchased the cheaper versions, Margarator, etc. but they ended up returning them and stepping up to Margaritaville.
If you enjoy entertaining or just having great frozen drinks, shaved ice for snow cones or great smoothies or frozen fruit juice, etc., you should treat yourself to an FCM from M'ville adn start wastin' away. BTW, pre-mixing for parties is a great suggestion. I also purchased extra pitchers from MargaritavilleCargo.com for a few bucks - well worth it to mix with extra pitchers when the party is on.

View Profile of LikiTiki Send a personal message to LikiTiki  Email LikiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
iTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-09-02 5:43 pm   Permalink

I bought one when they first came out and have used the heck out of it. It has stood the test of time and held up to all the use. If somehow it broke tomorrow, I would buy another immediately. It really does live up the the hype.

iTiki

View Profile of iTiki Send a personal message to iTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-03-18 3:33 pm   Permalink

Bumping an ancient thread rather than starting a new one. Seems the latest and greatest Margaritaville frozen drink maker discussed here was the DM2000. I just stumbled upon the DM3000 which I assume is pretty similar mechanically but with three blending jars. Anyone own one of these and have an opinion? I'm usually not one for frozen cocktails but could see this being handy at parties for frozen Painkillers, Saturns, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Margaritaville-Tahiti-Frozen-Concoction-DM3000/dp/B001AY0YGU

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation