FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Check out my new lamps!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Check out my new lamps!
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-11 11:39 pm   Permalink

Traderpup, that's a huge improvement -- good eye, and good job. That tapa cloth looks like it's always been there. I bet the lamp feels much more comfortable now, it probably felt pretty silly in that ridiculous red get-up.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2002-12-12 09:31 am   Permalink

Laney - "check out my new lamps!". Is that what you kids are calling 'em these days?

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-12 09:44 am   Permalink

Nope, mine are vintage and I'm proud of it!
ZAZZZZZ!

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-12 11:30 am   Permalink

Vintage lamps, huh? They must hang pretty low, then.....

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2002-12-12 12:19 pm   Permalink

Are the highbeams on?

laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-12 3:19 pm   Permalink

Yep, They are wrinkled, stretch marked, and hang over my belly, but pierced....
Hey if 70's clothes are vintage, so are my body parts. True originals not an "antique cove original"
Boy, you guys really DO need sex for Christmas!
Let's get back to the real topic,
perky, sweet, perfect...beachcomber lamps.

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-12 7:11 pm   Permalink

Laney, that blow fish-in-the-float lamp at OA is one of my faves, too, that's why I singled it out in the Hawaiian Airlines video. I also like the "shaded" floats with the Chinese hat on it. Another type I really dig are the ones they have at the Royal Hawaiian, those floats with a nautical still life in them: Beach sand at the bottom, with starfish and driftwood and shells stuck in it.
The first lamp I ever got from OA was a jug light on a wood base supended with rope from a piece of driftwood, with a fishing net cork on top and surrounded by plastic bamboo. A nice detail is the fact that they sprayglued sand on the driftwood to make it look like just beachcombed. That was back when they still let go off their display models...

I was lucky to have been into this early enough to get ahold of some restaurant fixtures, I fished 5 resin fisnet floats out of the dumpster at Kelbo's after they had turned into a strip club and got two lamps from "The Tikis". One of my faves I found in a antique store, the "fishtrap" split bamboo with three resin floats in it, fish netting, plastic vines and an aged toucan sitting on it. It is hard to display because of it's size (almost 6 feet long) and the low ceilings in my house.
The most elusive classic Tiki supper club light I still would like to find are those giant turtle shells with coloured resin inlays. VERY politically incorrect, but once a staple of every Tiki bar worth it's salt. At Ren Clark's supposedly "more than 100 giant lighted turtle shells are suspended from the the gallery which leads from Ren Clark's Polynesian Village to the pool area of the Western Hills Hotel, Fort Worth, Texas."
Polynesian Pop obviously played a part in making the giant turtle an endangered species.
Ask OA if they have an extra copy of their old "Polynesian Lighting" catalog, it's unfortunately only in black & white, but the variety of concepts back then is just great.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo ben
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-13 08:24 am   Permalink

Tahitian Lanai?

View Profile of bamboo ben Send a personal message to bamboo ben  Email bamboo ben Goto the website of bamboo ben     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-12-13 09:18 am   Permalink

I dreamt of Laney's lamps last night.... (get your mind out of the gutter!). I dreamt I was in a store FILLED with shell lamps, where the shells and bamboo made up elaborate dioramas of outriggers and tiki huts and villages. I got very excited until I saw the price tag - $370 bucks!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2002-12-13 10:16 am   Permalink

That's odd, I dreamt of Laney's lamps last night too (hey, look! I found a nickle in the gutter!).

dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-01-06 12:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-12-09 23:32, bamboo ben wrote:
Al-oha,
That Tapa Round one you made is what everyone is looking for.

hey Shelley ~ do you have instructions for making that lampshade? or do you sell them??

lamp envious,
elicia

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-06 1:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-12-13 10:16, Tiki_Bong wrote:
That's odd, I dreamt of Laney's lamps last night too (hey, look! I found a nickle in the gutter!).

Wasn't it a green Moai?

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-06 2:11 pm   Permalink

The round tapa one is definitely appealing
first, because it is just plain cool and second because in a basement, space is critical.

To manufacture and sell lamps (legally) the hoops UL makes you jump through means you have to really build alot or just build for yourself. UL doesn't want to bother with the "little guy" and makes it practically impossible to do this on a scale
that is reasonable for a limmited start-up enterprise.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-01-06 3:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-01-06 14:11, mrtikibar wrote:

To manufacture and sell lamps (legally)

legal schmegal.. actually i was hoping it was a shade, that i could affix over an existing fixture.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-14 02:02 am   Permalink

Way back in 2002, Laney wrote:
Quote:
Mele Kalikimaka to me! I have a lamp fetish and just added these 4 to my triple digit collection. I have one just like the sea horse lamp but it was in such bad shape I took it apart to use the pieces (still a "to be done" project). These will stay in tact and just be rewired. The sea horse lamp I have, came from a restaurant (per seller) and was super greasy. I'm not sure where these are from but I asked the seller for info. with no response yet.

I'd love to see some pics of those; and how do you clean that grease off of your lamps?

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation